A Quiet Place (2018 Horror)

If you’ve seen it, how did you rate it?

• Total voters
I don't know why, the show changed but it was done well. The writing was still great and in my opinion the emotional connection with the characters really grew stronger. I only feel they did Andy dirty because Ed started doing the Hangover but the series finale still gets me during my bi-yearly binge of the series.

On topic I'm going to catch this tomorrow and I'm really excited. Directing and starting in a horror is really impressive and I dig the premise.

The show was great all the way through up until the last couple of episodes where they were wrapping up everyone's story.

Also, probably my biggest gripe was how Andy went from being a really talented guy with some quirks and anger problems into a total basket-case, abusive idiot. It sort of worked but felt rather unnessecary as for most of the series he was likable in his own way and even a big part. But anyway, it didn't detract too much for me. It's just the last few episodes seemed to become tedious. But usually series wrap up this way.

Overall my favorite show ever.

Possibly one of the best movie premises and at the same time the worst and dumb execution of ít.
There are so many inconsistencies and plot holes it almost feels deliberate.
But the one starting from the very beginning and throughout the film is how they live in the open. We see the aliens hearing limits, they couldve easily soundproofed the basement or found a bunker or whatever and not risk someone farting a bit loud. The best they can do and even this only provisional for the baby is an old creaky barn basement with a matress as the protective soundproof door. Yet they spent a year pouring sand around town.
Anyway great idea as a starting point but completely ruined by stupidity.m

Pretty much. I'd have just given a like but can't on dubs.

Way to blow this thing out of proportion, guys.

It was ok. My girl thought it was stupid. It's a serviceable creature feature. The end, and events leading to it, were typical. It was better than mimic by a notch, but it's more the same type of movie than the overblown b.s. being said about this movie would indicate.

8/10 for the modern creature feature genre.

7/10 for a modern horror.

6/10 as an overall movie.

I'm pretty much on board with this too.

If you have time, check out my gripes a few posts ago (I think a page ago).

I gave it a 6/10 too

Did not expect this innocuous little movie to have people at each other's throats. Oh sherdog

<36>

how have these aliens been able to decimate the population of the planet when they can be taken out with a shotgun? or when their weakness is high frequency sound? only one family was able to discover this weakness? not DARPA or dozens of defense contractors? So these aliens are really good at taking out tanks and armored vehicles?
Tbf under this logic no zombie movie makes sense either. We have tanks. No way braindead humans could wipe out the military. So those movies just start after the zombies have taken over.

Tbf under this logic no zombie movie makes sense either. We have tanks. No way braindead humans could wipe out the military. So those movies just start after the zombies have taken over.

not necessarily.

for instance, in 28 days later, the infection is very fast moving to the point where England gets over-run and quarantined.

but you're right if we're dealing with slow moving zombies.

not necessarily.

for instance, in 28 days later, the infection is very fast moving to the point where England gets over-run and quarantined.

but you're right if we're dealing with slow moving zombies.
Even in that scenario you can shoot them. They never show how the armed forces were overrun. Once you bring in mechanized support that's it, game over for the zombies. Even in 28 weeks where they show an outbreak from the beginning, they only seem to have one unit of snipers and a smattering of infantry. No tanks, no helicopters besides the one. And I love those movies. But some setups require suspension of disbelief from the get go.

Hard to understand how zombies could overrun an entire nations armed forces, even if they do run like Usain Bolt.

I enjoyed this movie a lot. Krasinski and Blunt were great. Solid 8/10.

Just finished watching this.

Very good movie. Definitely recommend it to anyone.

8/10 imo

Like others have posted it was an ok film. Watchable but I’m not sure why it was hyped up the way it has been. 7/10.

Felt like much of the suspense was thrown in there for the sake of suspense. So many events just happened regardless of the story to make things appear bleaker that when they eventually overcome the situation the audience would be even more relieved.

- nail on floor
-corn drowning in silo
-Jim standing in the open instead of running to hide with the kids. That strategy worked the entire movie, yet this one time he decided to stand and fight.
-random flood in basement

It’s like they sat around writing the film saying what else can we throw in there to make things harder for our protagonist.

Last edited:
One of the most overrated movies I've ever seen. The ratings are off the charts and it is borderline hot garbage.

Some of the many, many things that were underexlained and/or unbelievable:

- the excessive quiet to the long drawn-out scene to start the film was straight up annoying. Especially in a semi-full theatre.

- the sanded long paths was completely unbelievable. Where was all of this sand coming from? Who would have the time and energy to lay all of that out of sandbags with no motorized vehicle to transport the bags?

- the one boy acted overly fragile. Like he's a year or two younger than his sister and he's so over the top fragile yet as per 2018 she's the courageous hard done by victim of everything including her deafness.

- I guess the markings on the floors were where they were supposed to walk to avoid creaking noises? We're not explained this, but the girl makes the exaggerated steps when going into the forbidden house.

- and were the doors being open for also the same reason? So that no banging or creaking would be heard?

- when the wife has the baby, and the husband is in the soundproof basement with her, why doesn't he notice the water pouring out of the broken pipe flooding the basement/cellar? Then, in that basement, the alien is sure sneaky sitting down there waiting for her to wake up.

- When the kids fall into the corn silo. It was hokey that he'd be able to pull his sister out of the mound.

- and that was where the girl found out about her ear piece screwing with the alien's hearing.

- the mom steps on the nail but no one else does walking up and down those same steps.

- why was the daughter not allowed in the basement? Nothing there was so shocking that she didn't know about already.

- oh, and how did they have power? How could there be power to feed all of their elaborate light system and other devices? And were the red lights to mean that an emergency was happening? We kind of just figured that out sort of.

- and back to the basement, how did the little girl figure out that the ear piece was screwing with the alien. And then, upon seeing the sound equipment and mic for the first time, no instantly in the moment how to use the desk mic with its buttons and then which amplifier dial controlld the volume for it?

- and of course, it bags the question, if it was so easy to shoot an alien in the head with a shotgun, why did they act so handicapped for so long?

All in all I've seen worse - I gave it a 6/10. The creatures were good, particularly their hands and musculature/legs/arms. The head and sounds were far more overdone used too many times. There were some decent scares and moments and overall I was entertained.

But generally there was so much inbelievability to it, so many plot holes and dumb or unexplained points that I couldn't rate it very high. Pretty meh tbh.

Wow. I dont think any of these qualify as plot holes and a lot of it is you not paying attention to what's going on. Lol at complaining about the excessive quiet though, that's the entire premise of the film.

So your idea is, don’t even bother including smart things in a movie, because then you’d have to actually write conflicts that could arise after them? Just keep it simple and dumb. Great stuff here, you’re a regular Aaron Sorkin.
I've been reading some of the back and forth in this thread. I liked the movie, and I actually agree with you somewhat, but maybe they aren't "plot holes," per se. Maybe they're just really bad at being parents.

Last edited:
I tried to stream this the other night and was fuming when the korean subtitles came up lol

Is there an english sub release yet?

I tried to stream this the other night and was fuming when the korean subtitles came up lol

Is there an english sub release yet?

The copy I.... found.... has hardcoded Korean with the option to turn on English, which is on screen WITH the Korean, albeit below it.

Did not expect this innocuous little movie to have people at each other's throats. Oh sherdog

<36>

Well, there were the people smart enough to realise it was just a little movie, and then the dummies who jumped on a band-wagon and wanted to pretend is was some monumental moment in movie-making.

It was just a basic, little movie, with better than average actors as leads.

I’d have loaded all helicopters with a stereo and a gun. Hoover a hundred yards off the ground blast some Ride of the Valkyrie and shoot these long armed bitches to hell.

Well, there were the people smart enough to realise it was just a little movie, and then the dummies who jumped on a band-wagon and wanted to pretend is was some monumental moment in movie-making.

It was just a basic, little movie, with better than average actors as leads.
Well I mean I get pointing out inaccurate or silly things in movies. It seems like people pick certain movies they like to really go crazy with that, but you can do it with most movies.

Damn near every movie has some implausible elements. That's why they're movies and not real life.

Back