A low bar squat form check (for old times sake)

ShadowNINku

SANDBAGGER BELT
@purple
Reaction score
Hey SnC, Haven't been here in a while, and this was the birthplace of my serious lifting (in the original SnP) and where I learned almost everything that I know now about lifting correctly.

Through trial and error, online team competitions, self video form checks/analysis, looking beyond the SnP for material from legitimate coaches, and online form checks, I was able to build a respectable amount of good form on my lifts.

It was a very exciting time. The Sherdog SnP community was supportive and a life saver as our local communities were mostly filled with people that were well versed in lifting methods that were based on aesthetics only, or broscience. Most regular people had never heard or seen good barbell training, and this place showed us that there was something better out there, this was before the "boom".

After I stopped posting. I was able to find a good niche as a personal trainer, especially for people looking to increase their maximal strength, and also those coming off from injuries and/or rehab at a small commercial gym for 4 years.

And NOW I am in Physical Therapy school. I will be focusing on incorporating plenty of strength training into my clients/patients' programs, as well as heavy barbell training for those looking to take their fitness to the next level.

I believe that one cannot simply be a textbook only or armchair coach, one must walk the walk. To be truly effective, one must go through the EXPERIENCE.

I have been "on and off" with my strength training with a very good 1st outing at a powerlifting meet in 2013 hitting a 360 pound squat and PRs on both my bench and dead lift with about 2 months of serious training after being inconsistent for years. It was a last minute decision to see if I could gain my old strength back. I accepted the fact that I was wither going to get strong as heck in a short amount of time, or get injured trying, the former happened.

I have now set my next goal, as hitting a 405 pound squat. It is one of those great iron life milestones. I am doing this for myself and in order to be able to help others do the same or better. I'll start to log my progress here more often, and am starting by sharing a form check of what my current squat looks like. Critique and comments are welcome.

I can't see the video from work, but Welcome the hell back!

The violent leg extension at lockout seems dangerous and unnecessary but I have no education or experience training people so Who knows.

The violent leg extension at lockout seems dangerous and unnecessary but I have no education or experience training people so Who knows.

I'm just pushing all the way through, I feel that you should not slow down on your own power if the weight is light enough to be brought up explosively.
And, if you can do this with said weight, then the weight should be increased so that what is slowing you down is THE LOAD and not your own "holding back".
I know that the top will always be faster as I accelerate the weight, as this is how I train (full acceleration out of the hole and all the way through). I know that the bar will slow down as the weight gets heavier. Chains and bands help with this tremendously, but I feel that I am not there yet as far as my numbers. Just training regularly will get me the most return at this point.

I too wonder how fully extending the joints "violently" as you say, can have a good or bad effect on the joints. Does it not make a difference, or would heavier weights with a slightly less apparent "violent extension" be safer or would there be no difference because of the weight difference?

Back