A look back at UFC 58: USA vs Canada March 4th, 2006

Great event. Highly anticipated among us canucks. I booked time off work so I could watch it with my buddies.

Canadian MMA was so good back then, thanks in large part to TKO/UCC.

BJ Penn probably would have beat GSP if he came in to that fight in better shape. He battered GSP in the first then gassed and let that fight slide. I love GSP more than any fighter but can admit that Penn had a legit shot at taking him out that night.

This was the best era of the UFC imo

Right after it exploded with TUF

BJ Penn probably would have beat GSP if he came in to that fight in better shape. He battered GSP in the first then gassed and let that fight slide. I love GSP more than any fighter but can admit that Penn had a legit shot at taking him out that night.
You're right. It was still very close despite BJ gassing after 1.

BJ was certainly the more skilled fighter at the time. We were very concerned for our boy going in, but especially after the first round.

The Loiseau beatdown was hard to watch.

Back