A look back at UFC 58: USA vs Canada March 4th, 2006

Yep exactly, Hominick caught Yves with a wicked left hook to the liver and Yves body pretty much shut down in Hominick's guard. He was a sitting duck, but if you've ever been hit with that shot you know that's how it is. It's hard not to piss yourself if someone with a real good left hook to the liver catches you.
I know the feeling first hand brother! Now that you mention it, I do remember Yves just kind of turtled in the guard, not offering much resistance. But that makes sense if you're trying to recover. Man Yves and Hominick, 2 fighters that I always love to watch but always fell short of their true potential.

My gosh I just finished Forrest vs Oritz 1 and hole e shit. What a fucking fight, the crowd was electric! I just don't see how you can score this one for Ortiz, besides the dominant first round, and a takedown with 1:30 left in the 3rd Ortiz didn't do enough to win compared to the volume of what Forrest was doing. Hell Forrest was beating Tito up from the bottom the entire minute he held him down Forrest just kept feeding him elbows left right left. Then Forrest was able to scramble back to his feet and win the exchanges for the last 30 seconds. That's a hard fight to score for Tito Ortiz, even if you give him a 10-8 first round (which shouldn't have happened, because Forrest was able to create space and scramble to his feet with about 1 minute left on the clock, where he held his own until the bell) that's still a draw, because I just can't see how you can score 2 or 3 for Ortiz. Wow, great great fight!
Even with the smaller arenas, the old events seem to have super passionate fans. I' suggest you rematch Chuck vs Randy 1 at UFC 43. Holy fucking fucksacks dude. That entire building sounded like it was shaking.

Thinking about it, Randy gave life to 3 (at least 3) of the craziest crowds. His fight with Chuck 1, Toto, and the Sylvia fights.

Even with the smaller arenas, the old events seem to have super passionate fans. I' suggest you rematch Chuck vs Randy 1 at UFC 43. Holy fucking fucksacks dude. That entire building sounded like it was shaking.

Thinking about it, Randy gave life to 3 (at least 3) of the craziest crowds. His fight with Chuck 1, Toto, and the Sylvia fights.
Already rewatched it, I'm going back on Fight Pass and watching every show from the beginning of the Zuffa era. And you ain't lyin' Chuck vs Randy 1 was pandemonium! You could feel it even through the computer screen.

I just remember Rogan drooling over BJ. Probably the most biased he's ever been during a fight.
He has done that in almost every one of GSP's fights. Always said the opponent was on another level, like Mayhem's grappling. Georges would usually prove Rogan wrong and sometimes did it while Joe was in mid-sentence.

He has done that in almost every one of GSP's fights. Always said the opponent was on another level, like Mayhem's grappling. Georges would usually prove Rogan wrong and sometimes did it while Joe was in mid-sentence.
I think the Mayhem and Parysian fights were the most egregious in that way

I think the Mayhem and Parysian fights were the most egregious in that way
Being that they're both fresh in my mind I can speak to this, the Karo fight Joe was bad. The Mayhem fight Joe came off like Mayhem was gonna dole out his retribution for making Rogan sound stupid for how he called the Karo fight lol. Seriously, Rogan literally was just slobbing all over Mayhem's knob, saying GSP had nothing for Miller on the ground, then GSP would proceed to alternate between crushing and dominating Mayhem in every area, most notably on the ground where most of the fight took place. Just watched that fight last week, and I couldn't believe how bad Joe was not only talking Mayhem up, but even worse how he almost in a dismissive matter of fact tone wrote GSP off. He was really bad in GSP's debut against Jay Heiron too, it's just really strange because Joe had no problem singing the praises of David Loiseau and Patrick Cote both of whom not only lost their debuts, but in Cote's case went 0'fer until he made his way back into the UFC via TUF The Comebacks. But GSP who was clearly elite and wrecking everyone, he would dismiss and openly root for whoever his opponent was lol.

I loved the Hominick/Yves fight. Yves is 1 of my all time favorite lws but became a fan of Hominick that night also.
The stand up in that fight btwn the 2 was art.

Awesome Event. I can watch Fisher - Stout fight on every PPV. 2017 Fighters should watch that and learn what it takes to get a bonus. Kill or be Killed.

I give it to the king as well. That was one of the last ppvs I recorded on a vhs lol. Now days just a simple press on the pvr.
Didnt they also have Franklin , vs the crow. That was the fight that completely derailed David's career.

I believe so. Rich put on a clinic with a broken hand or wrist.

I believe so. Rich put on a clinic with a broken hand or wrist.
Franklin made The Crow look tiny, after a few landed strikes and throws plus being man handled on the ground and against the cage you could see David visibly wilt. There was at least one 50-43 scorecard.

Being that they're both fresh in my mind I can speak to this, the Karo fight Joe was bad. The Mayhem fight Joe came off like Mayhem was gonna dole out his retribution for making Rogan sound stupid for how he called the Karo fight lol. Seriously, Rogan literally was just slobbing all over Mayhem's knob, saying GSP had nothing for Miller on the ground, then GSP would proceed to alternate between crushing and dominating Mayhem in every area, most notably on the ground where most of the fight took place. Just watched that fight last week, and I couldn't believe how bad Joe was not only talking Mayhem up, but even worse how he almost in a dismissive matter of fact tone wrote GSP off. He was really bad in GSP's debut against Jay Heiron too, it's just really strange because Joe had no problem singing the praises of David Loiseau and Patrick Cote both of whom not only lost their debuts, but in Cote's case went 0'fer until he made his way back into the UFC via TUF The Comebacks. But GSP who was clearly elite and wrecking everyone, he would dismiss and openly root for whoever his opponent was lol.
I was laughing my ass off reading this because you are absolutely right. We already know Joe loves BJ but he also just loves submission guys in general like Mayhem and Karo. Karo had that amazing Kimura on Dave Strasser so Joe was probably on his nuts since then.

You would think he would appreciate GSP's great grappling too: unstoppable takedowns, top control, sub defense, passing guard, securing dominant position....but he was so caught up in guys like Condit, Diaz, BJ, Mayhem because he could probably relate to them more as BJJ guys.

Yup good event, I remember it well. Franklin dominated that fight but I remember him getting dropped hard by Louiseau at one point, but apart from that he dominated.

This was back in the days when I knew every fighter on the entire card. UFC 57 just before that was also a epic event, lots of great fights and finishes

UFC Fight Night 4 I forgot to give a mention to the main event Bonnar vs Jardine, great fight back and forth. Stephan got the decision, but I thought Jardine did more than enough to win the fight.

Watching UFC 60 now, Spencer Fisher vs Matt Wiman (Wiman's debut) was a real fun fight and awesome finish! Fisher rocks Wiman with what looked like a right, then as Wiman is shaking his head on unsteady legs trying to say he's okay, The King comes leaping in with a devastating flying knee. Then just walks away because he knows Matt ain't getting up.

*edit* Is Wiman retired? He hasn't faught in like 2 years, and before that he took almost a 2 year break. Does anyone know if he still trains?

Last edited:
I had this fight on DVD for some odd reason. Never owned another UFC event on DVD. Got some miles out of it and definitely put some friends onto MMA. Good times.

So I went back to the beginning of the Zuffa era to re-live some fond memories & here I am at UFC 58 and wow, there are some fantastic fights on this card. GSP vs BJ 1, Mark Hominick vs Yves Edwards & Sam Stout vs Spencer Fisher 1 to name the best. My goodness what a great fight Stout versus Fisher was, Fisher clearly wins the first, the second is very close, the third is controlled by Stout, and Hands of Stone gets the nod by split decision. I personally thought Fisher got the better of the 2nd round, and edged the fight but it is close. Was just wondering what your guys thoughts on this fight (the first LW fight in the UFC since the suspension of the division in 2004) and who you guys had winning if you remember?

1 of my favorite cards off al time. It was on the eve of my 21st bday. GSP vs BJ 1 is one of my fav fightsf. Hominick jumping up in weight and beating edwards was great. If i remember he gave a teary post fight speech dedicating it to his father who was battling cancer. Thanks for bringing back memories ts.

Back