A look back at UFC 58: USA vs Canada March 4th, 2006

rorschach51

1970, 2020, 2023, 2024
@Silver
Reaction score
So I went back to the beginning of the Zuffa era to re-live some fond memories & here I am at UFC 58 and wow, there are some fantastic fights on this card. GSP vs BJ 1, Mark Hominick vs Yves Edwards & Sam Stout vs Spencer Fisher 1 to name the best. My goodness what a great fight Stout versus Fisher was, Fisher clearly wins the first, the second is very close, the third is controlled by Stout, and Hands of Stone gets the nod by split decision. I personally thought Fisher got the better of the 2nd round, and edged the fight but it is close. Was just wondering what your guys thoughts on this fight (the first LW fight in the UFC since the suspension of the division in 2004) and who you guys had winning if you remember?

I just remember Rogan drooling over BJ. Probably the most biased he's ever been during a fight.

I give it to the king as well. That was one of the last ppvs I recorded on a vhs lol. Now days just a simple press on the pvr.
Didnt they also have Franklin , vs the crow. That was the fight that completely derailed David's career.

I just remember Rogan drooling over BJ. Probably the most biased he's ever been during a fight.
Lol, yeah Joe had quite a few moments like that back around this time. I'm a huge Nick Diaz fan, I thought Nick beat Karo 2-1, I thought Sanchez vs Diaz was close enough to be a draw, but even I can admit he lost to Joe Riggs. Nick won the first of that fight, then clearly lost 2 & 3, yet you should have heard Rogan carrying on about how Diaz was winning. Even despite his boy Eddie Bravo scoring correctly for Riggs lol. Then in the post fight interview Joe is like trying to make Riggs feel bad about his conditioning, cutting 35 pounds and outweighing Nick weighing almost 210 on fight night. Even I a blind Diaz loyalist just shook my head.

Riggs next fight was at MW btw, even though he just fought Hughes a fight prior for what would have been the WW title, but he missed weight.

I give it to the king as well. That was one of the last ppvs I recorded on a vhs lol. Now days just a simple press on the pvr.
Didnt they also have Franklin , vs the crow. That was the fight that completely derailed David's career.
Yep that is the main event.

rogan was soo bias for Fisher when they fought

Hominick vs Yves was a work....someone put huge money on Hominick right before the fight. Yves just sat in his guard waiting for him to lock the triangle smh clear fixed fight

BJ vs GSP...meh, BJ landed an eye poke and an uppercut that caught the bridge of the nose....GSP then just stalled for the rest of the fight.

Franklin dominated but did get dropped by the Crow...which showed his chin was still suspect.

Low key good fighter on that card is Tom Murphy....one of the rare fighters to retire undefeated

Watching Marquardt vs Doerksen now on the same card, and this is one hell of a scrap too. I forgot about this one.

Great fucking card.

yeah Stout Fisher was the shit, I thought Stout got em but I'm pretty sure Fisher took the fight late and kinda gassed, Spence Fish was an exiting fighter back then, looked great in the rematch which is also a helluva fight

yeah Stout Fisher was the shit, I thought Stout got em but I'm pretty sure Fisher took the fight late and kinda gassed, Spence Fish was an exiting fighter back then, looked great in the rematch which is also a helluva fight
Fisher did. Ken-Flo was suppose to fight Stout but got injured, Spencer had to cut 20 pounds on 2 days notice, and it was his first fight at LW (there's was the first LW fight in the UFC since 2004) so new weight, 20 pound cut on 2 days notice and I still thought he won a very close fight though.

This whole card has been sick, 4 great fights and 2 good ones so far, and just now starting Swick vs Vigneault.

Last edited:

Stout had an unreal gas tank.

On to UFC 59, Forrest vs Ortiz 1 is fucking awesome!

So I went back to the beginning of the Zuffa era to re-live some fond memories & here I am at UFC 58 and wow, there are some fantastic fights on this card. GSP vs BJ 1, Mark Hominick vs Yves Edwards & Sam Stout vs Spencer Fisher 1 to name the best. My goodness what a great fight Stout versus Fisher was, Fisher clearly wins the first, the second is very close, the third is controlled by Stout, and Hands of Stone gets the nod by split decision. I personally thought Fisher got the better of the 2nd round, and edged the fight but it is close. Was just wondering what your guys thoughts on this fight (the first LW fight in the UFC since the suspension of the division in 2004) and who you guys had winning if you remember?

All I remember is Rich putting an absolute beating on Lousieau

Man I forgot how good this fight was, I'm just now realizing that Tito leaving the UFC for the year prior to this played a factor, because Tito came in charged up and appears to have part blew his load dominating the first round, and part adreniline dump from being away from the thrill of the octagon for so long. Because he let Forrest climb right back into the fight by doing next to nothing for most of round 2.

rogan was soo bias for Fisher when they fought

Hominick vs Yves was a work....someone put huge money on Hominick right before the fight. Yves just sat in his guard waiting for him to lock the triangle smh clear fixed fight
I thought Yves caught a rough body shot and that's when the next grappling exchange started, ending with the triangle

Lol, yeah Joe had quite a few moments like that back around this time. I'm a huge Nick Diaz fan, I thought Nick beat Karo 2-1, I thought Sanchez vs Diaz was close enough to be a draw, but even I can admit he lost to Joe Riggs. Nick won the first of that fight, then clearly lost 2 & 3, yet you should have heard Rogan carrying on about how Diaz was winning. Even despite his boy Eddie Bravo scoring correctly for Riggs lol. Then in the post fight interview Joe is like trying to make Riggs feel bad about his conditioning, cutting 35 pounds and outweighing Nick weighing almost 210 on fight night. Even I a blind Diaz loyalist just shook my head.

Riggs next fight was at MW btw, even though he just fought Hughes a fight prior for what would have been the WW title, but he missed weight.
I kind of miss Eddie's between round scoring.

I thought Yves caught a rough body shot and that's when the next grappling exchange started, ending with the triangle
Yep exactly, Hominick caught Yves with a wicked left hook to the liver and Yves body pretty much shut down in Hominick's guard. He was a sitting duck, but if you've ever been hit with that shot you know that's how it is. It's hard not to piss yourself if someone with a real good left hook to the liver catches you.

Was just wondering what your guys thoughts on this fight (the first LW fight in the UFC since the suspension of the division in 2004) and who you guys had winning if you remember?

Found memory on this card. The tv trailers had a theme where they had the main 4 fighters posing under their countrys flag. I was extremely excited for GSP vs Penn, that was like a superfight for me. This card was the first one where my friends and I would routinely order UFC PPVs every month. I used to watch them myself on torrents in the previous years.

I don't remember the Stout Fischer fight at all(mind you I haven't seen UFC 58 in almost 12 years). I don't remember if they showed that fight on the main card at some point.

My gosh I just finished Forrest vs Oritz 1 and hole e shit. What a fucking fight, the crowd was electric! I just don't see how you can score this one for Ortiz, besides the dominant first round, and a takedown with 1:30 left in the 3rd Ortiz didn't do enough to win compared to the volume of what Forrest was doing. Hell Forrest was beating Tito up from the bottom the entire minute he held him down Forrest just kept feeding him elbows left right left. Then Forrest was able to scramble back to his feet and win the exchanges for the last 30 seconds. That's a hard fight to score for Tito Ortiz, even if you give him a 10-8 first round (which shouldn't have happened, because Forrest was able to create space and scramble to his feet with about 1 minute left on the clock, where he held his own until the bell) that's still a draw, because I just can't see how you can score 2 or 3 for Ortiz. Wow, great great fight!

Back