a little freestyle on the pads

Good stuff. Free style is best imo.

Good stuff. Free style is best imo.

thanks bro, its tuff to do, were still working at it. it takes alot of training together to get to that point, you cant just freestyle with someone you never trained before right off the bat. Sadly, many people in the states dont do this.

thanks bro, its tuff to do, it takes alot of training together to get to that point, you cant just freestyle with someone you never trained before right off the bat. Sadly, many people in the states dont do this.
Yeah its still doable, but sometimes the rhythm's off, esp. if you're not used to holding for someone from an opposite stance (ortho v SP)

My coach tells me the origins of it was because of a language gap in Thailand to foreigners, and now its somehow gone to being its own thing now. lol.

yeah, its like a advanced level of holding, theres no need to call out 1-2 when you see the pads in the 1-2 position, so on and so forth

yeah, its like a advanced level of holding, theres no need to call out 1-2 when you see the pads in the 1-2 position, so on and so forth
One of the bad things when not on the same page is: holding for a combo, say... 1,2,3,kick. Then they break the pattern, but not with a different strike area, and just hold a 1,2. The striker end up thinking its still the same combo earlier and ends up almost hitting the holder being not up to speed.

One of the bad things when not on the same page is: holding for a combo, say... 1,2,3,kick. Then they break the pattern, but not with a different strike area, and just hold a 1,2. The striker end up thinking its still the same combo earlier and ends up almost hitting the holder being not up to speed.

yeah if the timing is off either one can get hurt! makes you look at a guy like kru dam of sitmonchai, friggin amazing what he is able to do.

That's not freestyle. That's just typical trainer feeding attacks on the pads.

This is freestyle. Trainer catches with the pads on whatever the fighter throws at him. A lot of trainers don't hold pads like this because they either don't know how and doesn't bother to learn how, or they suck at holding pads like this, or they're just scared.

Also here's John Wayne Parr freestyling on the pads with his trainer.

Yeah its still doable, but sometimes the rhythm's off, esp. if you're not used to holding for someone from an opposite stance (ortho v SP)

My coach tells me the origins of it was because of a language gap in Thailand to foreigners, and now its somehow gone to being its own thing now. lol.
thats how I hold mitts- using a set of signals and "buttons" that illicit predetermined responses. Once we get working and get in the groove I don't have to talk, I can signal and get the idea across with what my mitts are doing and how I'm moving. If they jab and I throw a hook on the opposite side to their guard and then hold that mitt out in the "lead" hook position, it tells them
What I want after the hook and the block. Once you get a big enough series of signals and "buttons" programmed you can flow with guys really well. I'll change it up to keep the fighters mind liquid or if we know something about their next opponent and want to drill specific responses.

This is freestyle. Trainer catches with the pads on whatever the fighter throws at him. A lot of trainers don't hold pads like this because they either don't know how and doesn't bother to learn how, or they suck at holding pads like this, or they're just scared.

god damn that takes some real trust and ability to read a fighter. It's impressive

thats how I hold mitts- using a set of signals and "buttons" that illicit predetermined responses. Once we get working and get in the groove I don't have to talk, I can signal and get the idea across with what my mitts are doing and how I'm moving. If they jab and I throw a hook on the opposite side to their guard and then hold that mitt out in the "lead" hook position, it tells them
What I want after the hook and the block. Once you get a big enough series of signals and "buttons" programmed you can flow with guys really well. I'll change it up to keep the fighters mind liquid or if we know something about their next opponent and want to drill specific responses.

god damn that takes some real trust and ability to read a fighter. It's impressive
It takes some time, I don't have too many southpaw partners so its a bit of a learning curve early on. Sometimes I just stand in southpaw, I find it helps me better

Yea, you need to be able to read a fighter's attack to be able to hold pads like this. It takes skills, good reflexes, and experience. Every good Muay Thai trainers should know how to hold pads like this.

were freestyling, not quite at the same level as the vid you posted, its probably hard to see cause my back is turned quite a bit but i was catching his knees and elbows freestyle, but we also do the just hold the pads in whatever position, and the fighter knows what to do. I am the one holding the pads in the video.

were freestyling, not quite at the same level as the vid you posted, its probably hard to see cause my back is turned quite a bit but i was catching his knees and elbows freestyle, but we also do the just hold the pads in whatever position, and the fighter knows what to do. I am the one holding the pads in the video.
That's not really freestyling you're doing. You were still feeding the roundhouse kick, where a lot of trainers in Thailand that are very good pad holders would just catch the kick with the pads. Yes, it's hard and it's scary to do at first, but of course it takes practice. First time I tried it years ago, I was afraid I'll get hit. But the more you're afraid of it, the most likely you'll get hit.

Look at John Wayne Parr's trainer in the video. That trainer catches every attack and read it perfectly. I'm sure that trainer been holding freestyle pad work like that for a long time.

Last edited:
That's not really freestyling you're doing. You were still feeding the roundhouse kick, where a lot of trainers in Thailand that are very good pad holders would just catch the kick with the pads. Yes, it's hard and it's scary to do at first, but of course it takes practice. First time I tried it years ago, I was afraid I'll get hit. But the more you're afraid of it, the most likely you'll get hit.

Look at John Wayne Parr's trainer in the video. That trainer catches every attack and read it perfectly. I'm sure that trainer been holding freestyle pad work like that for a long time.

yeah bro, i am familiar with the videos you have posted. I have met and trained with JWP and I used to hold pads for cub swanson and erik apple regularly and richie quan of FFM SA as well. if someone throws something you werent holding for and you catch it, its freestyling. like i said i can do it with his knees and elbows, but the kicks are the hardest to do, its probably hard to see from the camera angle.

13769417_10210551520130632_6023968781128838631_n.jpg 383038_2578199060661_413698832_n.jpg
183175_1856162050187_7567044_n.jpg

Last edited:
yeah bro, i am familiar with the videos you have posted. I have met and trained with JWP and I used to hold pads for cub swanson and erik apple regularly and richie quan of FFM SA as well. if someone throws something you werent holding for and you catch it, its freestyling. like i said i can do it with his knees and elbows, but the kicks are the hardest to do, its probably hard to see from the camera angle.

View attachment 196447 View attachment 196449
View attachment 196453

Damn, I'm the opposite of you. I find kicks are easiest for me to catch with the pads. Knees and elbows took me a while to not get worried of getting hit. LOL!

Cool stuff. Cant see myself ever freestyling with anyone because its not worth it as a training partner. Maybe if I was a coach or trainer

you have to have 1 designated pad holder that you regularly work with daily for years to get to the highest level that you see the thais doing. most people dont ever get there unless its something they do for a living.

Damn, I'm the opposite of you. I find kicks are easiest for me to catch with the pads. Knees and elbows took me a while to not get worried of getting hit. LOL!

the elbow is scary for sure!

Back