A Linguistic Explanation of Mackenzie Dern's Accent

If only sherdoggers learned Brazilian like we talked abt in that other thread...

Lol the translator was for the Brazilian fans, not for her.
That can't be true. As far as I remember he did not even attempt to translate her response to the first question so if it was for the fans they didn't get to hear her answer.

The translator was brought in for the Brazilian as she is fairly popular there. Also you people criticizing her for developing an accent while going to Brazil frequently and training with tons of people with that accent are ignorant. Some people adopt speaking patterns from others very quickly. I start talking like any group of people with strong accents I am around for more than a few hours. Its a fairly natural thing for some people.

The only way it makes any kind of sense is if she literally didn't speak any English for something like 5 years, which I find hard to believe. Anyway who cares?
Who cares?
We as a species should be absolutely caring when some psychopath among us does weird fake behaviors.

She didn't ask for a Translator or so. That was a request of GLOBO TV, who was broadcasting the card (Cyborg main event). LOL. They were trying to promote her as some New Brazilian sensation, telling her story, her origins, family and so.

Funny thing is she Gave an exclusive backstage intervew after the fight totally in Portuguese for globo. Her Portuguese looked totally shit. She was actually stop talking to find
the correct words.

Last edited:
US-Americans complaining about the devolution of the english language.
<Prem973>

Also, "Brazilian Interpreter". LOL
doesnt necessarily mean an interpreter of "brazilian" could mean an interpreter of brazilian descent, as in "oh yeah thats the brazilian interp." meaning the interp working with or as a part of a brazilian contingent

Dern is not so pretty to look at ((wtf @ the guy that likes her face lol)) I dont believe she should have been given the win lastnight but ultimately dont care as the win will only get her a stepup in competition and judging by that fight lastnight, shes going to get roughed up soon

the fake accent/translator thing is as retarded as all the guys that used to make threads about how hot she was, her ass lastnight reminded me of Ronda's after Holly beat her and that pic of edmond coddling her......lol wheres all the guys that were fascinated with that pic now?

I was laughing my ass off. Not only was I proven right, my old thread wastelanded and all, but they rolled out a Portuguese interpreter that she waved off like she'd finally achieved a masterpiece; conquering the English language (despite being born and brought up with an American accent in Arizona into her 20's). Accent, sure. Pretending to forget everyday words and syntax? Nope.

What a hero!

I also think she lost the fight, UFC ain't paying them judges for nothing. "She's a dime piece hahahaha " worst butt of the night, easily.

Only on Sherdog.

TS got dumped by a chick with a booty, now he likes little boys

seriously get your shit together, why are you on here hating on some woman who never did anything to you and is completely oblivious to your existence? listen carefully - YOU NEED PSYCHOLOGICAL HELP. you are a poisonous individual and your cancerous attitudes should be despised by any right-thinking human being. go get some therapy man, go get that poison out of your system, i will be happy for you when you become a well-adjusted human being. just stop it man. don't make excuses, don't deflect the issue with bullshit, you are MENTALLY ILL.

get help

Who cares?
We as a species should be absolutely caring when some psychopath among us does weird fake behaviors.

Some people just pick up accents fast if they are surrounded a long time with people who speak that way. And even if she is talking like that on purpose to feel more apart of that culture, so what? Is she harming anyone with it? The things some people choose to focus on..

There's not a chance she lost that fight. Her striking looked like shit but she clearly won rounds 1 & 3. That can didn't really do much to make her pay for any of her sloppiness

i believe mackenzie won, she moved forward and dictated almost all of the action. she was sloppy but very aggressive and basically just did more.

The translator was brought in for the Brazilian as she is fairly popular there. Also you people criticizing her for developing an accent while going to Brazil frequently and training with tons of people with that accent are ignorant. Some people adopt speaking patterns from others very quickly. I start talking like any group of people with strong accents I am around for more than a few hours. Its a fairly natural thing for some people.
This makes no sense So the translator translates only Joe's question and not her response? Don't think so.

She's an oddball.

Anyone who is trying to defend her accent is lying to themselves or simply has only been around one accent and language their entire life.

And if u don't think she easily won last night. Please, don't ever become an mma judge.

The only way it makes any kind of sense is if she literally didn't speak any English for something like 5 years, which I find hard to believe. Anyway who cares?

English is her native tongue though isn’t it? You never forget the language you were raised in- even if you moved to a different country say and never used the original language for years.

English is her native tongue though isn’t it? You never forget the language you were raised in- even if you moved to a different country say and never used the original language for years.

Not necessarily.

Wait what? Wasn't this event in Nevada?

I guess the assumption is that a lot of Brazilians were in crowd due to Cyborg. Dern is meant to be a crossover star since she is of Brazilian descent. I didn’t think of it- that Gurgel would be in place to interpret for the crowd- but I like it because that’s much more palatable than the notion that Dern might need him.

I don't know how anyone can defend such attention seeking, just all around fakeness. There is literally no excuse for the devolution of her English. I speak three languages, was born and raised solely around Spanish, and grew up in New York. Picked up on how to speak Deutsche having lived in Germany for four years, and I didn't magically forget how to speak Spanish and English.

There's no damn way she needed that translator.
utter agreement..im obviously english, i can speak a little french from school, a little spanish and i can speak german, as my mother in law is german even though the mrs grew up in england..

Its the stupidest thing ive heard of..

oh and learning my just about passable deutsche really helped me being a rammstein fan..lol

lol Wtf. I'm watching the post fight now, why the fuck is Jorge there? If she want's to do the fake accent thing cool, but she's really committing to this fresh off the boat Brazilian schtick wow.

She didn't ask for a Translator or so. That was a request of GLOBO TV, who was broadcasting the card (Cyborg main event). LOL. They were trying to promote her as some New Brazilian sensation, telling her story, her original, family and só.

Funny thing is she Gave an exclusive backstage intervew after the fight totally in Portuguese for globo. Her Portuguese looked totally shit. She was actually stop talking to find
the correct words.

If that's true then I stand corrected.

I understand mimicking an accent if you're trying to fit in, or to accommodate a person who isn't fluent in English. Doing it all the time is weird.

OK so this came up in the post fight press conference. She wasn't the one who arranged the translator.

Although it seemed weird AF at the time, I think this was down to the UFC. Not Dern.

I still think she's an oddball.

Back