A Henri Hooft fighter sh*ts the bed once again

Rockhold didn't look great against Branch either. I don't care what he says, my eyes saw Branch piecing him up against the fence. His only saving grace was Branch's pillow fists.

I think most of it is who they are facing, like Rumble and Volkan both had little chance of ever beating DC. And Johnson had almost no chance against Khabib, while the other two he lost to are hardly slouches either. But yeah, HH fighters seem to really be shitty the bed when it matters the most lately.

the wrestling coach is more to blame than the striking coach in my opinion

The last 6 fights Ive seen him help prepare and corner have looked terrible, literally.

2x Rumble, 3x Johnson and now volkan have looked mediocre and ill prepared to take on the guys in front of them.

Maybe it has more to do with the guys theyve faced, (Khabib and Dc are two of them) but Ive also noticed Blackzillian fighters in general have declined.

After the Blackzillian split I thought maybe these guys may get it together but under Henri they havent.One thing Ive noticed is once the big shot aint there theyve looked like fish out of water.

Thoughts?

Edit:put money on yoel if hooft is cornering?
Well he is a lot better then Dewey, but overall I agree with you.

One thing is for sure, they just don't have the right game plan to deal with a fighter like DC.

If you have no wrestling offence or TDD then you forget about beating DC and JJ. Gus is the only guy to give both a war and thats because he knows he has to take his wrestling training seriously. I hate lazy fighters who think just because they have KO power they dont have to work on other areas.

I think most of it is who they are facing, like Rumble and Volkan both had little chance of ever beating DC. And Johnson had almost no chance against Khabib, while the other two he lost to are hardly slouches either. But yeah, HH fighters seem to really be shitty the bed when it matters the most lately.
AJ had little chance of ever beating DC, wow, what a nob

hes the damned striking coach

why blame their striking coach on their poor wrestling and cardio?

Last edited:
A common theme is their bottom game being terrible. Give up instant mounts and body triangles, which lead to quick, basic chokes.

Hooft's a striking coach though, he's improved MJ's and Rumble's kickboxing a lot, and Volkan is dangerous on the feet.

So the blame falls more on Hooft not hiring better grappling coaches/sparring partners, or not putting enough emphasis on grappling, particularly defense. It's been going on for so long I doubt he'll make changes. Scouting Hooft's fighters becomes easy. Just take those dudes down and you'll likely win.

If you have no wrestling offence or TDD then you forget about beating DC and JJ. Gus is the only guy to give both a war and thats because he knows he has to take his wrestling training seriously. I hate lazy fighters who think just because they have KO power they dont have to work on other areas.
I also think it's AKA in general, Hooft's team have no idea what's going on, it's like an Alien has landed in the Octagon. Khabib makes most fighters look stupid but Michael Johnson literally couldn't do anything, Johnson might of rung his bell early but what followed was borderline rape. It's always the high wrestling base fighter's that get's them bamboozled. Cormier's win put's him 3 - 0 over that camp now, all in the modern day when fighters are more well rounded in general.

That's the camp in general though they have had some very good success but when it comes down to the nit and grit at the top of the division that's where the more well rounded fighters come in, it's curtains from there.

Wasn't Lawler down there for his RDA camp too? Them and Jackson's phoning it in right now entirely

They are failing in the grappling department, or that is what it looks like to me.

I'm pretty sure I'm the second DC fight Rumble just wanted to prove to DC he could hang with his wrestling.

Rumble did win the first round based off out wrestling DC. His corner wanted him to disengage and throw and Rumble just did what he wanted.

You can't say Johnson looked bad in his FW debut...

But yea, he hasn't been that succesfull.
'Didn't look bad' but went from dominating current LW champ Tony to getting finished in the second round by a nobody flyweight in Darren Elkins - that is pathetic beyond imagination. All Blackzillion fighters have had the same problems (Vitor, Rumble, MJ): start fast them fade, can't win the big one, no heart and look to quit when they encounter push back.

They are failing in the grappling department, or that is what it looks like to me.
This is why I could see Luke getting dominated by Yoel: he switched from AKA, lost all his good partners, looked like shit vs Branch/almost got finished and is now w doubling down and staying with the biggest title failure coach in the history of the UFC.

Hooft seems to be not the most successful trainer these days, but come on TS it's not all because of him

Did henry leave the octagon disgust again before the decision was reached? The guys a tool.

'Didn't look bad' but went from dominating current LW champ Tony to getting finished in the second round by a nobody flyweight in Darren Elkins - that is pathetic beyond imagination. All Blackzillion fighters have had the same problems (Vitor, Rumble, MJ): start fast them fade, can't win the big one, no heart and look to quit when they encounter push back.
A nobody flyweight in Darren Elkins? Please just shut if you have nothing to contribute.

They all seem to fold if a fight isn't going totally their way.

Back