A Fighter's Life After Retirement

I think most of them become coaches, or open there own gyms. Would be nice if the UFC had jobs for retired mma legends.

Many MMA fighters have retired or washed out from professional competition in their 30's. What do they do next? What options do they have to earn a living? How do they maintain the same standard of living?
050e1fa7210036286134b81a085335bd3d0011-wm.jpg

Starve to death cuz they have been robbed and exploited by the promotion bosses who took all the money for themselves.

My favourite event (as a middle aged skater) is the Vans Pool party. They have pros and legends, and obviously the legends compete only with other legends at 50.

Someone should start a tournament, grappling only, where old legends of MMA would compete. I am sure people would pay to watch Nog submit Sapp again, or Royce vs Hughes. Damn, why do I tell you guys this. I can be rich.

This is, very sadly, the story of Gary Goodridge. Dude spent his entire career throwing down and has serious issues now.
When people complain (guilty of it myself) that most fights look like sparring matches, it's because they don't wanna end up like Big Daddy. I still remember his fight where he got the guy in an instant crucifix and messed him up

WTF could bigfoot offer in terms of SECURITY with zero training?

get trained? lol

i agree with some of your points,but it is really up to them to prepare themselves on what they are going to do when they cant fight anymore. You definitley want to network and meet the right people who can put you in a good position when you are ready for the next step.

When people complain (guilty of it myself) that most fights look like sparring matches, it's because they don't wanna end up like Big Daddy. I still remember his fight where he got the guy in an instant crucifix and messed him up
Yes sir. He went to war so many times and he's paid the price. He was never a top shelf heavyweight but damn he had some power and liked to throw leather. Really sad how it turned out for him. I remember when Dream was dicking him over on his pay and he was really counting on the money.

get trained? lol

i agree with some of your points,but it is really up to them to prepare themselves on what they are going to do when they cant fight anymore. You definitley want to network and meet the right people who can put you in a good position when you are ready for the next step.

Sure but the dude was saying it is easy right off the bat.

Sure but the dude was saying it is easy right off the bat.

well thats def not true..but for sure there are things they can TRY to do,and you know it might still not work out..its rough. A completley different lifestyle.

Apparently the answer is try to get back into the sport, but then get banned for 3 years after self reporting something you didn't know what against USADA

well thats def not true..but for sure there are things they can TRY to do,and you know it might still not work out..its rough. A completley different lifestyle.

Yes, esp. if damaged in someway.
Terrible situation.

go into the real world and work hard like all of us do and earn a living

Apparently the answer is try to get back into the sport, but then get banned for 3 years after self reporting something you didn't know what against USADA

BJ PENN is supposed to come from money,so he dont need to come back,he can just keep training and surfing and scrappin like a hilo boy in some back alleys

How do they maintain the same standard of living?

That's not a big problem for most.

If you're getting 2x(10+10) - expenses and winning half or less, you can beat that doing damn near anything. Yard maintenance, janitor, roofer, whatever.

Standard of living? Most of the guys on the UFC roster can make more money managing a mcdonalds.... Their pay is low, they have a ton of costs (camp, travel, trainers, equipment etc), get injured frequently (and we don't know how much the UFC covers with its health insurance) and they risk permanent injury and/or brain damage.

The risk/reward is there for guys like Conor who can make millions in a few years, but for most of the guys fighting, 8k/8k and fighting 3 times a year on average doesn't translate into much.

Plus you lose a couple of fights and likely you get cut.

Back