A comparison of Colby Covington's draw

WTF?

You really think people give a shit about the undercard of relatively unknown fighters? LMFAO.

Stupid comparison...Only Colby's UFC 225 Co-Mainevent matters after all the hype.

and no he isn't that popular.

Fact is...Your comparison makes ZERO sense because people only care about the headline.

She's got the same "Invisible Lat Syndrome" that McGregor has
DSC_8026.jpg

But a slightly better ass (though it's suprisingly close):
DSC_8028.jpg

DSC_9926.jpg

DSC_8031.jpg

DSC_9921.jpg

url

I still wood!

CIY0XNtWwAAycuH

I was intrigued to do this after Schaub mentioned in his latest podcast that Colby's persona really hasn't been selling well.

I wanted to do a comparison of Colby Covington and Edson Barboza, really different personalities.
To be fair, I did not include cards where they were both present (colby appeared on a lot of conor's cards) and tried to compare, there is a lot that is going to influence the data so its not all accurate. I avoided any cards with McGregor since he is a huge star.

Colby Covington

UFC Fight Night: Holm vs. Correia (on main card)
* Attendance: 8,414
* Gate: $839,300

UFC Fight Night: Brunson Vs Machida (on main card)

* Attendance: 10,022 (sold out)
* Gate: N/A

UFC 225: Whitaker vs Romero 2 (Co-main)
* Attendance: 18,117
* Gate: $2,550,000
* PPV Buys: 250,000

Edson Barboza:

UFC on FX: Belfort vs. Bisping
Attendance: 9,116

UFC Fight Night: Edgar vs Swanson
(on main card)
Attendance 10,131[1]
Total gate $670,022[1]

UFC On Fox: Holm vs Schevchenko (co-main)
Attendance 10,287[1]
Total gate $1,000,000[1]

UFC 197: Jones vs. Saint Preux
Attendance 11,352 [1]
Total gate $2,300,000[1]
Buyrate 322,000[2][3]

After reviewing this, it doesn't really seem that Colby is your classic draw, he's not bad but not great

good breakdown but seriously let's wait 2-3 more fights to see how his drawing power is. the guy literally became mainstream to mma fans like 8 months ago.

She's got the same "Invisible Lat Syndrome" that McGregor has
DSC_8026.jpg

But a slightly better ass (though it's suprisingly close):
DSC_8028.jpg

DSC_9926.jpg

DSC_8031.jpg

DSC_9921.jpg

url
Brah, what ass are you talking about? That's your stereotypical flat, white girl ass. Disturbing. I'm sure I hope she improved it in the 9 years since those were taken.

For some perspective, Colby+CM Punk more than doubles, Fedor+Sonnen+Wanderlei+Mitrione+3 titles fights, in PPV sales at a $15 higher price.

Lol seriously what the fuck

This is like saying Prince Naseem’s antics aren’t selling after his 10th pro fight.

Not saying Colby is that, but why the fuck are mma fans talking about the drawing power of people who aren’t even main eventing yet? That’s not how it works.
Precisely. Like Trump's run for Presidency, the Meme needs time to spread. We can't compare everyone to Conor McGregor and expect them to be selling near a million in their first headlining pay per view.

Colby did two recent BRILLIANT business pivots:

1. Went full heal and got every Brazilian hating him. Brazilans aren't generally a large PPV demographic, however, Colby realizes that we live in a time on virtue signaling insanity, so he prods these PC SJW's mercilessly. Like Vince says "any press is good press".

2. He is one of the first athletes to really align himself with Trump. In the age of top athletes turning down Whitehouse invites, and in a day where the lion's share of sport watchers tend to be Trump supporters, Colby pulled a Roseanne and is trying to rope them in. This move also will trigger the life out of the Twitter mobs and again get him more press and get people talking.

All of this is really contingent upon him still winning tho, and if he manages to secure 'the real belt' it will be huge. The lead up to the TyQuil CoCo fight will be huge, a kind of MayMac microcosm, with it being black vs white, Trump supporter vs a guy that calls racism at every turn, country boy vs city kid, bad blood, team mates, etc. The numbers for that fight, paired with its marketing will be telling as to how big Colby can potentially get. Important to keep in mind this fight sold on par w/ UFC 178, which was one of the most stacked cards ever and Conor's PPV debut - the headliner was the Mouse tho, and like Yoel/Whittaker, he is PPV repellent.

Last edited:
Says who? His style is not exactly conducive to winning over new fans. Did any non fans of his leave that card saying, "Man I can't wait to watch Colby snuggle someone again."

Says SexyBaroni.

On a serious note, he put a nice trashtalk promo,
backed up his words and won a fight decisevely.

And he's not a blanket like Fitch, he actually has an exciting style.

Snowflakes were entertained and nerds shed tears.

Lol seriously what the fuck

This is like saying Prince Naseem’s antics aren’t selling after his 10th pro fight.

Not saying Colby is that, but why the fuck are mma fans talking about the drawing power of people who aren’t even main eventing yet? That’s not how it works.
The fact that people are so quick to jump on the 250k PPV number estimate to argue that "Colby isn't a draw" only speaks for the fact that his act is working, in my opinion.

These particular Sherdoggers are unable to put their dislike of the guy aside and instead of thinking about him and his drawing power rationally, succumb to blurting out emotionally charged "Haa-haa, I told you so" type of statements.

Like, even if the event only did an estimated 100k PPV buys and even if Colby was main eventing, we still wouldn't know how much of that PPV number could be attributed to him. The 100k could very well turn into 20k without Colby on the card and it wouldn't be a falsifiable claim at all. The point being, we just don't have enough data to actually make any sort of rational conclusions about Colby's drawing power, except that it's nothing exceptional at the moment.

Im gonna throw it out there BUT maybe he does have drawing power and that's how he's getting average figures?
Cos lord knows, it isn't his fighting style...

Says SexyBaroni.

On a serious note, he put a nice trashtalk promo,
backed up his words and won a fight decisevely.

And he's not a blanket like Fitch, he actually has an exciting style.

Snowflakes were entertained and nerds shed tears.

Exciting......Really? Which part?

Back