A BJJ Fraud in North Carolina gets challenged

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel bad for his students. BJJ is a great art, and for that to be their first experience with it is probably going to lead to a lot of them not training with a legitimate instructor (or at all) if/when the fraud is exposed to them.

I just mean that if you know for yourself you put in the blood, sweat, tears whatever to get that certain belt, some fraud like this is just pathetic, but I can't see it being offensive or whatever some people have said.

Look at the picture with him and his students. They look like a happy martial arts family, like many BJJ gyms and other legit martial arts schools. The kids looking happy, the adults spending time to achieve something....so they think. They look like good people.

He is basically taking advantage of the nice people in that picture, if what is said in this thread is true. That makes me angry. Those people will be hurt when they find that what they have been learning is worthless, hopefully not physically.

The thing about him being a fraud or whatever...not that big a deal UNTIL it involves others.

I feel bad for his students. BJJ is a great art, and for that to be their first experience with it is probably going to lead to a lot of them not training with a legitimate instructor (or at all) if/when the fraud is exposed to them.

I don't feel bad at all. With all the information out there on the internet now, people who train with these frauds just want to be deluded.

If they trained at a legit school, they would have to work hard for a year or more to get a blue belt. And then several more years upon that to get a purple belt. And odds are they will never make it anyway.

If they train with a fraud, they can go from blue to purple in a few months. And they just go two hours for two days around the weekend. And they don't even have to roll.

A lot of people would prefer to train with the fraud and rationalize it than suck it up and go to the legit place. That's why these places stay in business.

One kid in high school paid some fee to become officially recognized as a priest in some religion. Obviously it was not legitimate by any real standard, but he just wanted a piece of paper that claimed it was legitimate to say he was an official priest. Why he did that, I have no idea. Maybe he is training with that guy now.

The point is that there is a pretty big market for this fantasy shit.

wow this guy is a big time fraud. he takes all the time and hard work from real black belts and makes it a simple thing to achieve.

Look at the picture with him and his students. They look like a happy martial arts family, like many BJJ gyms and other legit martial arts schools. The kids looking happy, the adults spending time to achieve something....so they think. They look like good people.

He is basically taking advantage of the nice people in that picture, if what is said in this thread is true. That makes me angry. Those people will be hurt when they find that what they have been learning is worthless, hopefully not physically.

The thing about him being a fraud or whatever...not that big a deal UNTIL it involves others.
I agree, I worded it a bit vague but that last sentence sums up my thoughts.

I don't feel bad at all. With all the information out there on the internet now, people who train with these frauds just want to be deluded.

If they trained at a legit school, they would have to work hard for a year or more to get a blue belt. And then several more years upon that to get a purple belt. And odds are they will never make it anyway.

If they train with a fraud, they can go from blue to purple in a few months. And they just go two hours for two days around the weekend. And they don't even have to roll.

A lot of people would prefer to train with the fraud and rationalize it than suck it up and go to the legit place. That's why these places stay in business.

One kid in high school paid some fee to become officially recognized as a priest in some religion. Obviously it was not legitimate by any real standard, but he just wanted a piece of paper that claimed it was legitimate to say he was an official priest. Why he did that, I have no idea. Maybe he is training with that guy now.

The point is that there is a pretty big market for this fantasy shit.

Most of those people are kids, judging from the picture in this thread. They probably aren't even aware of frauds in martial arts or how BJJ instruction is when your teacher isn't a fraud. It simply doesn't occur to them to ask an instructor what his lineage is, or what accomplishments he has, because BJJ is one of the few martial arts where it actually happens commonly.

Sure, some of them could be deluded by now, but I suspect the situation would be much different had they started under a legitimate black belt.

The kid in your high school probably just wanted something he could use as a joke, be unique, or "fight the establishment" with, the same as people who get their religion noted as "Jedi" on a census. This is a lot different than that.

That's a shame. I hope the truth shines on this guys lies like a bat signal over Gotham.

Speaking of shameful..... can somebody who's NOT on dub make a thread about this cop Jerad Wheeler who claims to study BJJ in Georgia? He kicked a 9mo pregnant lady in her stomach and I just want to know where he trains and if anybody knows this animal.

http://rt.com/usa/news/pregnant-kick-wheeler-dozier-955/

damn, seems like NC has the worst problem with the fake gyms. In my town there is place that has good equipment but the instructors are garbage, fake credentials, etc especially since the ownership changed.

I train with a guy that is legit and unfortunately we just have a small barn but it is actually better. Yesterday it was just me and another white belt and a purple belt teaching. Almost like a private class and 60 dollars a month for unlimited classes. It is sad to see mcdojos spring up like crazy and make money (and forcing people into contracts) while the legit instructors have a hard time making ends meet.

I just called the school to "inquire" about their bjj classes. They informed me that the bjj class has been "put on hold for the moment." LOL

I just called the school to "inquire" about their bjj classes. They informed me that the bjj class has been "put on hold for the moment." LOL

....looks like someone
....threw a lug wrench into their plans

:cool: YEEAAAAAAHHHH

on his site, he's sporting a big Gracie Barra logo on his pants...interesting.

jiu-jitsu.jpg

he even taught the shaka (hang loose) wrong.

those kids are doing some weird spiderman variation.

this truly is unacceptable.

cutie in pink.

James Paredes is teaching in Cary, NC. He's backed off of his claims of a BJJ Blackbelt (on Facebook), but he still is intentionally misleading his customers. Fortunately for us, he loves to film all sorts of amazingly bad moves and upload the videos to Facebook.

I have no idea how to post any of the awful moves that Sensei Paredes has uploaded, but finally someone has officially called him out:

Also, his site is here: Mo's Shotokan Karate, LLC :: Our Friends

For a hundred bucks, you better believe Im gonna attack his grips a fuck of a lot harder than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back