9mm or .40cal for long range shooting

Jujitsu Passion

professional panty sniffer
@Orange
Reaction score
Which is better for longer range shooting?? 9mm or .40??? (Yes, I know they are not for long range hunting.)

I am purchasing a handgun, specifically the beretta px4 storm, and eventually would like to get a carbine to go along with it. It will be geared towards camping situations and all around fun.

I like the kick of the .40 and the stopping power. I have read it goes through windshields instead of bouncing off like a 9mm would. I also like how cheap 9mm ammo is.

So my deciding factor now is long distance shooting/hunting. Accuracy and power. 40cal vs 9mm.

Which does it for you guys?

Thanks

JXF9F51-2.jpg
gtscx4.jpg

Whether or not it penetrates barriers without jacket separation has more to do with projectile construction than it does calibre, like if you were using something with a bonded jacket. Even then, penetrating medium can cause deflection; you may not hit your target at point of aim. That's goes for pretty much all aspects of duty calibre pissing matches; it's the Indian, not the arrow.

Drop the PX4 Storm. Hate that fucking thing so much. Get an XD, M&P, or the G23.

I've shot a G23 and PX4 Storm and fucking despise that double action trigger pull on the PX4 Storm and just overall hate that thing.

I'm not going to say it's a POS but I can't stand it.

That said, pick up whichever caliber you like. The .40 is around for a reason but the 9mm has been the duty caliber for years for a reason as well.

Seriously. drop the px4. Get a glock 22/23 and a 9mm conversion barrel so you can shoot both.

And neither the 9mm nor the 40cal are appropriate for "long range" shooting.

Drop the PX4 Storm. Hate that fucking thing so much. Get an XD, M&P, or the G23.

I've shot a G23 and PX4 Storm and fucking despise that double action trigger pull on the PX4 Storm and just overall hate that thing.

I'm not going to say it's a POS but I can't stand it.
Seriously. drop the px4. Get a glock 22/23 and a 9mm conversion barrel so you can shoot both.

And neither the 9mm nor the 40cal are appropriate for "long range" shooting.

don't know why all the hate for the px4.. for myself... I am not a fan of the glock.. so to each his own.

I know neither is for long range shooting.. I have tried looking online and found little info on it, because it's not something commonly done.. so I would like some sherdoggers input.

my current pairings i have a:

ruger 10/22 takedown, matched with ruger new model single six.
ruger sp101 .357, matched with a henry big boy.

As I go camping days and weeks on end.. I like to take either or and stick with one bullet, as it is more convenient in more ways than one....

sometimes I like to shoot things super far, sometimes up close. more for target than hunting and killing.. although I do go hunting, depending on the game, I take the correct caliber in accordance to my state laws, but that's another discussion.

It's clear you want the .40. You wish the ammo price was as cheap as the 9mm, so
you've got a dilemma. In my opinion, and based on what you've wrote, if you buy the
9mm, you'll regret it. The cheaper ammo price won't compensate for that in the end.
Get the .40 bro.

don't know why all the hate for the px4.. for myself... I am not a fan of the glock.. so to each his own.

I know neither is for long range shooting.. I have tried looking online and found little info on it, because it's not something commonly done.. so I would like some sherdoggers input.
I'm not saying you HAVE to buy a Glock. I'm just stating my personal opinion.

I am a 1911 guy and fucking HATED Glocks for the longest time. I viewed them as a toy looking thing, plastic (ie cheaply made) and could never stand the fucking grip angle. I have shot at least 250 rounds through a G23 (mine and a friend's combined) and about 100 through a PX4 Storm..... And as far as a 1911 guy is concerned the PX4 Storm can set itself on fire and jump off a cliff. Fuck that thing.

My issues with it:
-Ergonomically, I can't stand it. Something about the size of the grip and shit does not suit it for a two handed grip.

-The safety is a pain in the ass to get to.
px4stormsubcompact_zoom004.jpg

vs a 1911:
efea5f740f8feae9bfd170023493a4cb.jpg

972e465948e734d34c951a738d501a84.jpg

Those are stock images of the 1911s I own and I can never stand the shape of the PX4 Storm's safety (it doesn't feel like I can get a good grip on it) and I hate that it's on the slide as well. To put it into fire you push... up? Almost every other safety on a hand gun I think it's push up for safe and down for fire (I could be wrong.)

-This is a completely subjective one... I think the gun looks ugly. It looks like the girl that is described in this song:

To each their own though

The other thing about the Storm I hate is even though it's Berreta something about it feels like it's a toy/made with the cheapest shit they could find to jump into the polymer gun craze. Maybe it's because I come from 1911s but that's how I have always felt.

I'm not saying you HAVE to buy a Glock. I'm just stating my personal opinion.

I am a 1911 guy and fucking HATED Glocks for the longest time. I viewed them as a toy looking thing, plastic (ie cheaply made) and could never stand the fucking grip angle. I have shot at least 250 rounds through a G23 (mine and a friend's combined) and about 100 through a PX4 Storm.....
To each their own though

the 1911 can be only comparable to the m-9.

as for the m-9. It feels better in my hand then a 1911 does. I believe all beretta guns are designed: up safety-off and down safety-on. It works for me because my mossberg 500 is same set up. as well as my gamo whisper cfr pellet gun.

on another note, the px4 will serve as a daily carry for me... so it has a few roles to fulfill

The other thing about the Storm I hate is even though it's Berreta something about it feels like it's a toy/made with the cheapest shit they could find to jump into the polymer gun craze. Maybe it's because I come from 1911s but that's how I have always felt.

Yeah I agree. The px4 is literally the worst fun I've ever shot and I like beretta.

If you want something you can shoot far but carry the same caliber, get a 454casull/45lc revolver and a Marlin 45lc lever gun. Or do the same but with a 44mag.

Or get over the whole one caliber for both guns thing.

Which is better for longer range shooting?? 9mm or .40??? (Yes, I know they are not for long range hunting.)

I am purchasing a handgun, specifically the beretta px4 storm, and eventually would like to get a carbine to go along with it. It will be geared towards camping situations and all around fun.

I like the kick of the .40 and the stopping power. I have read it goes through windshields instead of bouncing off like a 9mm would. I also like how cheap 9mm ammo is.

So my deciding factor now is long distance shooting/hunting. Accuracy and power. 40cal vs 9mm.

Which does it for you guys?

Thanks

JXF9F51-2.jpg
gtscx4.jpg

CX4 feels like plastic. Good gun, I just could never get over the cheap feel.

For me, the answer is get a .40 (Glock 23) and then get a 9mm conversion barrel (KKM).

You can shoot .40 whenever you feel like it, but you shoot 9mm most of the time; cheaper, lighter weight/more rounds (for camping/hiking).

the 1911 can be only comparable to the m-9.

as for the m-9. It feels better in my hand then a 1911 does. I believe all beretta guns are designed: up safety-off and down safety-on. It works for me because my mossberg 500 is same set up. as well as my gamo whisper cfr pellet gun.

on another note, the px4 will serve as a daily carry for me... so it has a few roles to fulfill

What do you mean that the 1911 is only comparable to the M92FS? The 1911 and any other pistol can be compared to any other pistol. When I was searching for a daily carry (and ended up on the G23) I looked at these as well:

-PX4
-Ruger LC9
-XD
-M&P
-Spring 1911 Commander
-Para USA Warthog

The 1911 is the base/starting point for just about every semi-automatic pistol made up until the Glock. The M9, the Hi Power, CZs, the goddamn Jericho/Baby Eagle/Desert Eagle you can see the 1911 inspiration in it.

I shoot better with my G23 than my 1911s, I shoot my buddy's PX4 better than my GI 1911 at least. I'd still never own one because that double action trigger pull on it is worse than another friend's POS Taurus.

Why did you pick the PX4? Have you shot one? Have you shot a G23 or the XD/M&P models that are in the same size/caliber?

Also, why so hung up on "one caliber for two guns" thing?

I also wonder why the hang up on one caliber for 2 guns. My grandpa was serious about that but when I go camping, if I'm planning to shoot a lot, I'm just car camping so weight/space isn't an issue. If I'm actually hunting, then I'm carrying a lot and shooting a little.

I can't remember the last time I went hunting and carried more than ~ 10 rounds total for the rifle and maybe a reload for a revolver.

When I was young my grandpa would take me out on horse back and there was always a 45lc lever gun and a 45lc revolver and maybe ~ 50 rounds total.

I do like the idea of keeping pistol cartridge carbines but not 9mm and 40. They only thing I do with those calibers is cc or fun/range/had stuff, they just aren't suitable calibers for woods use imo.

I do have Marlin lever guns in 38/357, 44mag and 45lc, they are awesome and they are Nice compact guns for deer, moose or general brush guns.

Which is better for longer range shooting?? 9mm or .40???

To me pistol carbines have always been underwhelming niche items. At pistol distance, they're better than a pistol, at rifle distance they blow.

If Long Range means 70 yards and closing, then get either.

Handgun rounds are not all that after about 70 yards I find.

Sure you can still hit a paint can at 100, but at that distance your bullet is going about 600fps, with is like a big pellet gun, and accuracy is a relative thing. 4 to 8 inch group at 100 yards as opposed to 1-3 with a real rifle carbine.

If you want something for a carbine, get a 223 with 50grn hollowpoints, or a 22mag or something like that.

Much better.

Last edited:
Smith and Wesson CORE 40 long slide is the answer. Burris fast fire 3 on top.

1816696_03_smith_wesson_m_p40l_pro_series_640.jpg

I bought 1k of wwb .40 for $220.

@Jujitsu Passion

These S&W pro series have great stock triggers. The are around $600 on sale. The straight pro series(not core model) has fiber optic sights and can be found for $550 on sale.

Apex trigger upgrades are easy if you want. The Burris is like $200 on sale.

Last edited:
I also wonder why the hang up on one caliber for 2 guns. My grandpa was serious about that but when I go camping, if I'm planning to shoot a lot, I'm just car camping so weight/space isn't an issue. If I'm actually hunting, then I'm carrying a lot and shooting a little.

I can't remember the last time I went hunting and carried more than ~ 10 rounds total for the rifle and maybe a reload for a revolver.

When I was young my grandpa would take me out on horse back and there was always a 45lc lever gun and a 45lc revolver and maybe ~ 50 rounds total.

I do like the idea of keeping pistol cartridge carbines but not 9mm and 40. They only thing I do with those calibers is cc or fun/range/had stuff, they just aren't suitable calibers for woods use imo.

I do have Marlin lever guns in 38/357, 44mag and 45lc, they are awesome and they are Nice compact guns for deer, moose or general brush guns.
If I were to do the one round for a pistol/long gun it'd be the .44 Mag and I'd use my dad's Ruger Blackhawk and one of those Henry Big Boy lever guns.

Back