80s Synth Pop

G

Guestx

@BisexualMMA recently point this song out to me from the Manhunter soundtrack. I confess, it's been stuck in my head for days now.

Apparently it was also used in Miami Vice. Anyone else heard it?

Let's build an 80s Synth Pop thread, full of nothing but the coolest 80s songs from the genre.

Here's my contribution:

First time I heard Heartbeat I thought it sounded like Peter Gabriel, then learned that Mike Rutherford (also from Genesis) was behind the song and the band.

So, in a related vein I offer...

Great song that had shots for a good video put together but then the song got paired with the movie Choke Canyon and all they released was a terrible Franken-video with clips from the movie randomly stapled in and ruining the song.

Also, I can't believe you listen to this gay homo shit.

A classic from Teen Wolf...

How do you differentiate synth pop from say new wave like Depeche Mode, or New Order, or Human League? Or even Latin Freestyle?

I'm not THAT much into 80's synthpop, I'm more into "modern days" synthpop, electro pop, minimal synth etc influenced by the 80's. But still, it's always nice once in a while to check out the "originals".

Mgmt just released a new synth pop album. Its not 80s but you might dig it @shadow_priest_x

It might be my fave album of 2018 thus far.

This isn't from the 80's but I've heard it described as post wave. Great song from 2008

Can't stand most of it but I like early New Order.

Lee Jang Ho's film "Declaration of Fools" (South Korea, 1983) sampled an instrumental version of Johnny and Mary that was a breakout sound for Korean audiences for its time

It literally blew everyone's f*cking minds and freaked Korean audiences out because it sounded exactly like sped-up versions of Korean karaoke staples, but coming from Americans who had never heard a single korean song

US (and to a lesser extent Russian) 80's synth pop was a ridiculously huge influence on South Korean comedy/romance film scores in the 90s and still shows traces of its subdivision of rhythms in K-pop everywhere

Generation-defining films like Waikiki Brothers (2001) and Sex Is Zero (2002) are stuffed to the gills with 80s synth-obsessed nostalgia

Back