7 Fights in the UFC...and Northcutt Hasn't Fought a Top 50 Fighter

step one would be removing his father from his professional life. let Faber take over. even if Sage's father was a great coach, which he is not, the overbearing emotional aspect of his father's coaching is extremely detrimental to Sage's development.

You realize that you just described Sages father exactly like Faber is. "Overbearing emotional". :D

Isn’t a fight promotion promotion supposed to build up their young prospects? Let them pad Sage’s record with 10-15 cans so they can bill him as a destroyer of worlds.That’s how they do it in boxing.

But in boxing you build in a steady learning curve. Your student should defeat them and you start low but there is only one reason to building someone up and that is if he is constantly getting better and defeating better opponents. Sure a setback can happen. But with Sage you really see that? I dont.

He gets fed the same low skill oponents after Barbarena (who was a tad better) and barely manages to scrape by. He isnt getting better and hasnt for a long time. Muscle training and posing with his roid buddies seems way more important than technical skill. Imo he doesnt have the brain for mma. And why should he develop? He gets paid very good for fighting lowly skilled opponents no matter win/loose.

If anything this shows UFC knows he will never be a top fighter and try to make as much money out of it as possible.

Bryan barberena?

5QGehwW.gif

He's only on a 2 fight winning streak. It's not like he's looked unbeatable or something. He's 5-2 in the UFC and only 21 years old still.

They are obviously protecting him, but I mean they have to protect their investment. He doesn't have the skillset to fight guys higher up the ranks.

Right?! Sherdog wants the UFC to throw him in with Khabib and Tony already

The UFC still has this delirious notion that somehow one day he could become the face of the promotion,

Keep in mind that the UFC is an entertainment organization more than a competition one!

he is still the fourth youngest person on the roster they said last night. he has some time to grow his skillset to match his conditioning but he needs to improve vastly over the next few fights to have a bright future in the UFC.

step one would be removing his father from his professional life. let Faber take over. even if Sage's father was a great coach, which he is not, the overbearing emotional aspect of his father's coaching is extremely detrimental to Sage's development.

He's only 21 years old, even now, he's only 21. In terms of fighter maturity, Sage is a baby. He debuted in the UFC at 19 years old. The UFC has already decided they are going to give him the time he needs and that equates to years.

Even more reason to stop putting paige & sage in the same category

Paige beat a fighter on the verge of a title shot at the moment & only lost to champion's & former champions at 115

She got as far she was gonna get at 115 & thats reasonably high

Sage hasnt even came close to what was his expectations

Well to be fair, hes not a top 50 fighter either

you ever think that the kids dad probably has a deal with the ufc

the difference is, the boxers actually BEAT the guys they're supposed to build their records on. Sage gets his ass kicked by some of these guys.

An MMA athlete has far more ways to lose than a boxer.

I dont even understand why UFC picked him or he's even in UFC. There are plenty of good white fighters if thats their thing like Vick not getting any push.

Maybe Dana's in love.

It's kinda crazy, the UFC are banking on him becoming a beast in the future..sure he's young but he doesn't seem to be improving and looks mediocre against bums, I don't believe he is a Draw at all..the only reason people talk about him is because he's young and to question why he's earning more than seasoned elite fighters and perennial top 10 guys in some divisions

He's managed to go 5-2 in the UFC so far. Sage has improved a lot since he first came in at 19. I don't think people understand sometimes that you can't expect a guy that is in the 19-21 age range to be a destroyer in the modern UFC era. Its unrealistic. Max Holloway was fighting and losing to Conor McGregor at age 21, look at him now.

i'm sure barbarena was at least top 50, but yeah sage is trash.

definitely didn't deserve the nod last night, not only did he get outwrestled but he was getting hurt in nearly every exchange, got visibly hurt about 4 or 5 times.

sage is a good athlete, he'll never be a good fighter.

Isn’t a fight promotion promotion supposed to build up their young prospects? Let them pad Sage’s record with 10-15 cans so they can bill him as a destroyer of worlds.That’s how they do it in boxing.

The problem is Sage has 7 fights into the UFC....and has shown little to no improvement. He has a great, positive personality, and I wish the best for him. But he's not a fighter. And Dana continually trying to shove him down people's throats is going to have the opposite effect of what he's looking for.

I'm happy for sage dudes got a real good life and seems really nice (from what i can see from the outside) so if he is making bank good for him

Lol there are no lady viewers that care about sage. Most adult women are not going to be into him even slightly. Sage will always be just getting by beating the lowest level fighters in his division

The GF has already caught on that Sage "looks the part" but doesn't actually fight that well because he's "not fierce". Every card has multiple shirtless muscular male fighters, it's not as if the female fans would be all gone without Sage. Hell, Black Beast probably brings in more chicks than Sage.

Even more reason to stop putting paige & sage in the same category

Paige beat a fighter on the verge of a title shot at the moment & only lost to champion's & former champions at 115

She got as far she was gonna get at 115 & thats reasonably high

Sage hasnt even came close to what was his expectations

Paige is 23 and has lost 3 of her last 4.
Sage is 21 and is 3-1 in his last 4.

If you are the UFC, it might pay to stop throwing your young fighters to the wolves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back