"60% of your weight on the front leg"

In my case (i'm a Muay Thai fighter):

Before i continue i'd say the "standard" MT stance is about 50/50, which allows you to check with both legs, it also allows you to throw all your strikes and stay tall and balanced while moving around.

For me, If i'm just in my normal stance it's about 60/40 <---i like to fight off the back leg because i like to kick, especially lead teeps and switch kicks. If you're a heavy puncher and like to dig into the low kicks, you might have your weight distributed more forward to like 50/50 or more.

If i'm being cautious and want to feel out my opponent i'm on my back leg more at about 70/30... or even more on my back leg <---in Muay Thai you tend to see more when you're on your back leg, and your chin automatically comes down, so this would be a defensive stance.

If i have my opponent moving back alot i might get more agressive with the punches probably putting more weight on the front, i'm not too agressive of a fighter though so It all depends.

IF ANYTHING, for most people their weight would be on their front leg for very brief moments during punch combinations or something where they have to step in for power, but other than that, i don't see it being practical trying to move around with the majority of your weight on your front leg.

^Though i DO see that alot in MMA, i think that's also how bas rutten teaches guys to stand. I don't know jack about MMA so i can't comment on that, maybe it makes it easier to defend takedowns?

Last edited:
I would agree it is for the benefit of added takedown defense, that being said I also feel akward when doing this. It feels like I am concentrating more on that and not on other things as if I were more evenly distributed in my stance. But then again I'm no Bas Rutten or Greg Jackson either!

It mostly benefits TDD as people touched on above.

Basically more weight on the leg makes the leg harder to pick, front leg is the most frequent to be picked. And since the opponent is going to try and drive through you the more of your weight that you have forward the better - to an extent anyway.

50/50 is gud. Just seems well balanced to attack/defense from either side.

60/40 doesn't seem as smooth or easily mobile. My weight can shift around to where ever gives best leverage when I'm throwing stuff.

i never really like jackson. he's a like a dude who owns a building where lawyers, engineers, & doctors are his tenants & for every successful project, client defended & patient healed by his tenant he gets like half the credit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
obrad
Back