60,000 dead and 80 billion in damages a year- Opioids

Couple decades ago, opioid reps poured millions into promoting all the good they can provide. People wanted them.

Now Big Marajuana money is doing the same thing. You think this is being promoted so much, and lobbied for so much out of selfless charity?

The data for MJ really helping people is pretty weak. I realize they're different drugs w/ different side effects.
But we're going to be in a very similar situation in a few decades.
You are an idiot

More people overdose a day on opiates than have died from marijuana in the history of man.

You are an idiot

More people overdose a day on opiates than have died from marijuana in the history of man.
You marijuana advocates let your emotions take over and completely dictate what you see and say. How is anybody supposed to have a discussion with you when this is your response?

You marijuana advocates let your emotions take over and completely dictate what you see and say. How is anybody supposed to have a discussion with you when this is your response?

To be fair , how should you respond to someone who is suggesting that there is going to be a marijuana crisis in the future ?

You can debate if its the be all cure all all day long but to act like that is in the realm of possibility doesnt even deserve to be entertained

To be fair , how should you respond to someone who is suggesting that there is going to be a marijuana crisis in the future ?

You can debate if its the be all cure all all day long but to act like that is in the realm of possibility doesnt even deserve to be entertained
He was saying the same thing about marijuana that I (and much smarter people) are saying about ADHD meds and anti-depressants. Unfortunately, weed hasnt had serious studies done on it because of it being illegal. Who really knows what the consequences of long term use? I know from my personal anecdote that weed doesnt make me want to kill anyone or suck a dick to get it. But who knows what my lungs will look like in 20 years?

I read him as saying "we ought to be careful diving into this. Because we dont know" and I agree

And its bullshit that the "legal" drugs are pushed on us and treated as safe, and life saving. Because a doctor said so. And someone is making a lot of money.

We can have a conversation when this marijuana epidemic happens

Yes. Lets be reactive, rather than proactive. All successful things are born from poor planning.
Humans have been consuming marijuana for a very long time, there has yet to be an epidemic, OxyContin has been around for a few years, there's an epidemic already.

Comparing the two is quite literally the stupidest thing imaginable

Humans have been consuming marijuana for a very long time, there has yet to be an epidemic, OxyContin has been around for a few years, there's an epidemic already.

Comparing the two is quite literally the stupidest thing imaginable
I'm not even taking the opposite stance. I agree with you. The fact weed is a plant and we cant do what we want to our bodies because someone said so, is bullshit.

But this is America. Someone is gonna have to be paid for it. Unless you think we should just burn the government down and do what we want?

Yes. Lets be reactive, rather than proactive. All successful things are born from poor planning.

So you are suggesting being proactive about a potential weed problem instead of reacting to the very clear and present opiod problem.

I don't think that is a good idea at all.

I'm not even taking the opposite stance. I agree with you. The fact weed is a plant and we cant do what we want to our bodies because someone said so, is bullshit.

But this is America. Someone is gonna have to be paid for it. Unless you think we should just burn the government down and do what we want?
I live in Oregon, weeds legal here

So what? I have a hard time functioning without cofee in the morning. I am sure I waste at least 30 minutes a morning getting it. Should we ban coffee to?

Im not for banning ....i was just sharing a story.
The point being weed is very addicting

I live in one of the worst areas for it. You see all these people looking like shit and struggling. i have no clue why anyone would want to be like them

An addict "wants" his addiction the way a cancer patient "wants" his cancer or a schizophrenic "wants" his schizophrenia.

Until people wake up to this fact we will never be able to engage in the proper response to the crisis.

I see this has turned into a weed thread.

I think some of you would murder people if they criticized weed to your face.

For the people saying "some people really do need opiates for pain" - have you ever taken an opiate? Opiates don't do anything for the physical, actual pain. 800mg of ibuprofen manage pain 10x better

But the opiates change the way your brain deals with the pain. Its like they make you forget about it.

They make you feel invincible. And theyre fun as fuck. Who doesnt want to feel unstoppable?

Over the counter is only effective for dull, achey pain. Break a bone or pinch a nerve and the narcotics will win everytime.

I see this has turned into a weed thread.

I think some of you would murder people if they criticized weed to your face.
For a drug thats supposed to mellow you out, some of these guys seem like high strung, sjw lunatics

But how much did the doctors and pharmaceutical companies make? $$

opioids are terrible and shouldn't be manufactured.

Opiates certainly have their place in evidence based medicine, it is when they are prescribed wantonly or for profit that they become a scourge.

For the people saying "some people really do need opiates for pain" - have you ever taken an opiate? Opiates don't do anything for the physical, actual pain. 800mg of ibuprofen manage pain 10x better

But the opiates change the way your brain deals with the pain. Its like they make you forget about it.

They make you feel invincible. And theyre fun as fuck. Who doesnt want to feel unstoppable?

I totally disagree, as does medical research, opiates work very well for pain, but like ibuprofen, they can become problematic with long term use.

dont bother with that asshole.

Jesus guy. was this a gradual problem, or was there a specific accident that got you this way?

I played football and had one car accident, but never anything where I could say “this is when it happened.”

It started when I was on patrol and my calves would cramp up. So i would stretch them on curbs when that happened. I even had a favorite curb for stretching my calves. I ate bananas in case it was a potassium issue, then one day I was doing curls and my entire back went into spasm. That happened a few more times and then the pain was constant. A moderate level, but it did not go away. So my doctor ordered an mri and an emg. They found the damaged discs and it just got worse as the years went on. I have tried everything, including physical therapy, chiropractic treatment, deep massage, acupuncture, and while they seemed to help while it was taking place, the next day it was back to the pain. So I use ice packs and medication to deal with it, but during the day, I have to deal with it. It also eventually caused depression from being in constant pain. And again, it is not debilitating pain, but a constant pain that wears you down. And I am, or was until recently, a gym rat. I found the activity helped, but lately, it has gotten the best of me.

And I did not take offense to what he said, though others did. I took that as him saying “if i had to deal with that just to get out of bed, bye.”

Back