5x5 stronglifts vs Kettlebells

Axx

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm currently doing 5x5 stronglifts twice a week.. for 3 months. I've progressed somewhat in power(not a lot though).

Tbh i feel a bit stiff during boxing and grappling, I feel bulky. I am stronger but not a lot stronger and my stamina got a bit worse, but thats logical since I gained some muscle.

I am thinking about kettlebells training, I'll slim down but I'll get stronger, more functional strength, atleast thats what ive been told.

There is a gym here that gives group trainings in kettlebells, i am thinking about trying it out.

What can I expect? Will i punch harder, have more strength during grappling? What will it do with my muscle tone?

apples/oranges.

If you feel stuff, work on stretching, if your stamina is worse then work on that. Kettlebells are cool but not really a replacement for barbell work. Lots of people just train with kettlebells and like it but I'd probably do both if I were you (I do both).

how many times a week you work with barbell and kettlebells?

Strength takes time to progress. I didn't start to get significant results on the mats until around 4-6 month mark. Try to stretch more, that might help with your stiffness. As for bulky, might be diet related. I've been on a lean bulk and lifting more serious since Nov, and I don't feel bulky at all.

For kettlebells, I'm assuming these will be higher reps or done for time (eg. as many as you can within 2-3min)? I dunno, its better than nothing, but I still feel traditional barbell work is the fastest and stable way to progress in terms of strength development. If the KB work you do is too light, I don't think there will be much in the way of improvement. It'll become more cardio / strength-endurance related, if thats what you want.

Strikes are heavily reliant on technique, strength does help but not too much imo. For grappling, I feel strength will be more useful there (grabbling, lifting, etc) than striking. The exception is the clinch, its essentially grappling, so strength will help there as well.

Kettlebells are great for a little strength-endurance, power and overall resiliency. They're not very good tools to develop max-strength. Because you can't incrementally progress/load like you can with a barbell. If you stick to just KBs, your max strength levels will drop over time.

There are other lifting programs out there more compatible with fight training than SS or SL.

Strength takes time to progress. I didn't start to get significant results on the mats until around 4-6 month mark. Try to stretch more, that might help with your stiffness. As for bulky, might be diet related. I've been on a lean bulk and lifting more serious since Nov, and I don't feel bulky at all.

For kettlebells, I'm assuming these will be higher reps or done for time (eg. as many as you can within 2-3min)? I dunno, its better than nothing, but I still feel traditional barbell work is the fastest and stable way to progress in terms of strength development. If the KB work you do is too light, I don't think there will be much in the way of improvement. It'll become more cardio / strength-endurance related, if thats what you want.

Strikes are heavily reliant on technique, strength does help but not too much imo. For grappling, I feel strength will be more useful there (grabbling, lifting, etc) than striking. The exception is the clinch, its essentially grappling, so strength will help there as well.

do you do stronglifts?

Kettlebells are better than nothing, helps me with combat cardio and to get a little bit more ripped but miss strength training.

K-bells are overrated IMHO. They're kind of like the d-bell's awkward-looking cousin. That said, they're a useful conditioning tool; just very inefficient way to build strength, relative to b-bells.

Three months isn't enough time to have gained enough muscle to adversely affect. Are you sure that the extra weight isn't fat and you are goin consistently to boxing and grappling?

Three months isn't enough time to have gained enough muscle to adversely affect. Are you sure that the extra weight isn't fat and you are goin consistently to boxing and grappling?
This.
I'm pretty strict with my lean bulk, and didn't start to see noticeable results til after at least the 4th month. Even then, I'm not feeling sluggish or "bulky"/bloated.

What's combat cardio?
A system like crossfit that I designed and will make rich ---
Is just cardio that I feel applies more to Judo (in my case) or other combat sports that let´s say jogging 2 hours.
K-bells are overrated IMHO. They're kind of like the d-bell's awkward-looking cousin. That said, they're a useful conditioning tool; just very inefficient way to build strength, relative to b-bells.
Nobody denies that but many of us have space for a kettlebell instead barbells, racks, whatever-

Is just cardio that I feel applies more to Judo (in my case) or other combat sports that let´s say jogging 2 hours.

So, training the anaerobic system.

You are aware of how the aerobic system bolsters and supports the anaerobic system, correct? Nobody's saying go out and jog for 2 hours, but it's useful to incorporate lower-intensity, steady-state conditioning work.

So, training the anaerobic system.

You are aware of how the aerobic system bolsters and supports the anaerobic system, correct? Nobody's saying go out and jog for 2 hours, but it's useful to incorporate lower-intensity, steady-state conditioning work.
I know but someone recomend me not to over do it wih my weight ...haha

Back