50/50 strategies

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Armwrap, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Armwrap Orange Belt

Armwrap
    Hi. A lot of matches in the Worlds ended up in 50/50 and it was the number one sweeping position. I want to hear your opinions on strategy and concepts of the 50/50.

What are you concentrating on (concept-wise) when you end up in 50/50?

2. davou White Belt

davou
    I goto 50-50 when I have confidence that I know the position better than the other person, OR if I have a strong confidence that the other person wants to smash me and is large enough to impose it easily.

when I get into 50-50 I focus on isolating the other persons legs from each other, either by passing one across my lap, or by using my elbow to split and driving the outside foot away.

In no gi attack heelhook immediately. In gi, try to control for a toe hold and threaten cloverleafsif the person triangles poorly.

If my feet are in danger, in gi I go for 50-spider, and in no gi I try to get an underhook and pull them chest to chest with me. If I can get them close its usually easy to stomp out of whatever they were mucking about on my feet. I'll usually try to threaten a straight armlock here as I fall back to go after the other persons feet.

If they try to stand up, stomp out, under hook the outside leg and pass it over. If I can get one of their legs on each side, I'll attack Achilles locks and go belly down if I can close my grips.

Hope that helps

3. Was at Pride GP 2000 Brown Belt

Was at Pride GP 2000
    I try to never do 50 50

4. DVD review guy Green Belt

DVD review guy
    The 50/50 guard is stuck in it's infancy. There's so much room for evolving the position. Forget the leg attacks. The upper body attacks are endless.

Speaking of 50/50, does anyone know if, or, when, Ryan Hall is going to fight again?

ijustwannasurf likes this.
  5. Dana_is_your_GOD Platinum Chram deal with it

Dana_is_your_GOD
    5050 back take is nice. Also 5050 a ft armbar. Knee bar too and basic sweep

6. ArtemV Red Belt

ArtemV
    I like to ankle lock/heel hook; these are my main go to techniques from 50/50; however, I rarely get into this position.

7. Uchi Mata Gold Belt

Uchi Mata
    I don't care at all about developing strategies for IBJJF rule sets at this point, as such my 50/50 game is based on heel hooking or otherwise finishing the guy with a lower body sub while putting myself in as little danger as possible to be hit or submitted myself. A lot of what I do is based on Hayden's 80/20 positioning system, though I use pieces from Cavaca, Roli, Panza, the DDS guys, and my 50/50 guru @ijustwannasurf

8. ijustwannasurf Brown Belt

ijustwannasurf
    @Uchi Mata and I have spent a lot of time micro-drilling 50/50. From a conceptual standpoint, the first thing to worry about is your knees. You do not want to accept an actual 50/50; you want your body turned inside, with your inside knee below uke's inside knee and thigh. You want to be more perpendicular to their leg than parallel. From there, a good clamp with your knees keeps their legs and hips 'above' yours, and gives you a structural advantage to attack.

As Uchi mentioned, we don't sweep. Even in the gi, we try for kneebars, toeholds, or my favorite- the footlock on their outside leg. At the very least, solid attacks will land you in a better position. If you want to focus on IBJJF, get your knees in the right position and attack the outside foot. Watch Renato Cardoso or Cavaca.

Steve08, ChainFlow and Uchi Mata like this.
  9. SubmissionarY White Belt

SubmissionarY
  10. Badger67 Taxidea taxus

Badger67
  11. trustdoesntrust Green Belt

trustdoesntrust
    You really need to understand how to control the position. In a shorthand sense, if you sit up and turn out (with opponent's knee out) then you can attack positionally (with a stepover, unhooking pass, armbar, back take, etc.), but if you're turned in then you can attack the legs. You don't ever want to be just flat on your back, and you need to be aware of how to keep your feet safe while you maneuver. As was already mentioned, the goal is to be almost perpendicular when you attack, which greatly increases leverage for your leglocks and greatly increases space for your positional attacks. If the gi, I personally try to get a near side spider hook as soon as possible

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017 at 6:52 PM
    ijustwannasurf likes this.
  12. Steve08 American Fedor Belt

Steve08
    I haven't trained in more than a year but when I did find myself in leg spaghetti positions one thing I'd do besides leglock is try to wind up on top during the scrambles. Probably not offering anything new in this. Oh well.
    Explain?