5 nightmare HW match-ups for Daniel Cormier (past & present)

LOL the fight before fighting Fedor he fought a guy with 0 professional fights!!!! He also beat a guy twice who never fought a professional MMA fight before and ended his MMA career at 0-2 both times losing to Goodridge. Before that beat a guy who was 1-4. After Fedor he continued to beat inexperienced fighters beating a guy who was 1-0 (that guys victory was over a guy who was 0-2). After beating the 1-0 fighter he fights another guy with 0 fucking MMA fights! His best win was Valentijin Overeem. Stop just pumping some guy up because he beat a shit ton of fighters with no MMA experience and Kenneth Allen-esque records.

Goodridge was of course like a lot of fighters back then very active, he fought Yatsu twice within a year but between that fought four more times.

He was never really at the heart of the division during that era but to say he was fighting nobodies obviously isn't true Valentijin, Don Frye, Dirty Bob and Bobish are all credible wins around that period for me plus we did see that he carried a threat standing in K-1 before decline and the health destroying beatdowns started. He wasn't good enough to make the top 1o at HW in the mid 00's but as I said I could see him getting into the lower end of it today with guys like Lewis, Browne and Struve getting a look in plus in general I think he's in the class of fighter who is good enough to have upset potential.

Someone fighting a lot mixing in higher level comp with mid level opposition is not to be looked down on for me. We've seen big names like Anderson and GSP lose to that level of opponent before now so pretending such matches are pointless simply doesn't reflect reality. Indeed in Fedor's own career someone like Fujita ended up giving him one of his biggest tests that he passed, its less beating Fujita specifically and more that if you fight credible opponents often lighting will strike(especially if you fight to finish) and how you deal with it.

As far as Fedor's form goes we did start to get talk from his own camp during the Affliction run about a loss of speed and motivation. Sylvia for me was the last time he looked that close to his best, he beat Arlovski and Rogers but was clearly becoming more dependant on his KO power and a less effective grappler which ultimately was what led to his defeats.

david-tennant-laughing-o.gif

Haha immediately after his last win before he started to lose he was out of his prime. You guys cannot make thsi shit up its so fucking comically embarrassing. Fedor really started to get out of his prime when he came out of retirement, that is when you REALLY started to see it. He was absolutely in his prime for his 3 defeats, no matter how many novel posts you make or close your eyes and wish it away...it will not happen mate! Reality and fact of the matter is he lost in his prime, he lost 4 times in his prime. Sorry man, that is just the way it is!

Again you didn't use a single example as an argument. Except a laughing picture and calling something impossible. I hope you can take a step back and look at your low level of intellect.

Goodridge was of course like a lot of fighters back then very active, he fought Yatsu twice within a year but between that fought four more times.

He was never really at the heart of the division during that era but to say he was fighting nobodies obviously isn't true Valentijin, Don Frye, Dirty Bob and Bobish are all credible wins around that period for me plus we did see that he carried a threat standing in K-1 before decline and the health destroying beatdowns started. He wasn't good enough to make the top 1o at HW in the mid 00's but as I said I could see him getting into the lower end of it today with guys like Lewis, Browne and Struve getting a look in plus in general I think he's in the class of fighter who is good enough to have upset potential.

Someone fighting a lot mixing in higher level comp with mid level opposition is not to be looked down on for me. We've seen big names like Anderson and GSP lose to that level of opponent before now so pretending such matches are pointless simply doesn't reflect reality. Indeed in Fedor's own career someone like Fujita ended up giving him one of his biggest tests that he passed, its less beating Fujita specifically and more that if you fight credible opponents often lighting will strike(especially if you fight to finish) and how you deal with it.

As far as Fedor's form goes we did start to get talk from his own camp during the Affliction run about a loss of speed and motivation. Sylvia for me was the last time he looked that close to his best, he beat Arlovski and Rogers but was clearly becoming more dependant on his KO power and a less effective grappler which ultimately was what led to his defeats.

I respect your passion for MMA and decent knowledge but I have to point out a couple things in your post that are massively incorrect. GSP lost to Serra who was considered a mid level guy, Serra beat some decent guys in Yves Edwards, Jeff Curran, and Shonie Carter. Hughes is obv extemely high level and a HOF'r so nothing but top notch opponent there. Goodridge fought guys who were not even low level, they had NO LEVEL since he was there first opponent. The others were very low level, having 0 wins or 1 win. Than you have Frye, Dirty Bob, and Overeem who were lower-low mid level wins. If you take away the guys with no experience and very low level guys, Goodridge would have 3 wins in that five year period and two losses, now if I give you Bobish than it would be 4-2 against extremely low-lower mid level guys in 5 years which is decent but nothing to brag about.

I respect your passion for MMA and decent knowledge but I have to point out a couple things in your post that are massively incorrect. GSP lost to Serra who was considered a mid level guy, Serra beat some decent guys in Yves Edwards, Jeff Curran, and Shonie Carter. Hughes is obv extemely high level and a HOF'r so nothing but top notch opponent there. Goodridge fought guys who were not even low level, they had NO LEVEL since he was there first opponent. The others were very low level, having 0 wins or 1 win. Than you have Frye, Dirty Bob, and Overeem who were lower-low mid level wins. If you take away the guys with no experience and very low level guys, Goodridge would have 3 wins in that five year period and two losses, now if I give you Bobish than it would be 4-2 against extremely low-lower mid level guys in 5 years which is decent but nothing to brag about.

Do the very low level wins somehow cancel out the mid level ones? as I said Goodridge was active enough to get both.

As far as Serra goes you have an interesting definition of "beating" people....

Serra-Carter-2.gif~c200

Yves was a good win at LW but Serra himself was never close to the top of the division then moving up to WW he lost to Karo and won a close decision over a mid level Lytle to get his title shot with GSP. You look at Andersons loses and you have someone like Takase with a 4-7 record who was significantly below Goodridge so again the idea that fighting such an opponent has no worth is simply not reflected by results.

Last edited:
DC still not defending body shots and head kicks. Prime Crocop would abuse.

there is no way anyone is a nightmare match-up for DC

not saying he beats them all but it would be close fights

there is no way anyone is a nightmare match-up for DC

not saying he beats them all but it would be close fights

That would be the case if he didn't show very clear flaws constantly, but does.

When Gustafsson drops you with a knee and overall you tend to get hurt by knees, you have to consider a bigger and more powerful striker like Overeem could easily do the same. When you get head kicked repeatedly, you tend to get hurt by body shots and a southpaw like Anderson Silva hurts you with a liver kick, you have to consider a prime Crocop, who was bigger and a far more devastating striker, could have easily done the same.

All in all, there are fighters whose main strengths match-up perfectly with DC's weaknesses, so he does have bad style match-ups.

Last edited:
Out of the fighters listed Werdum would be his biggest challenge

Of course the two HW goats in Fedor and Nog would have been bad match ups but Brock Lesnar and Cain and possibly Cigano as well.

Yup, exactly why he had so many problems knocking out Rampage and Arona in the first round.
When did Rampage become a wrestler? Also, when did Arona a Jui Jitsu guy become a wrestler? More delusional Shogun talk here. Honestly, I wouldn't dislike the guy but this fans are the worst. Also, Cosby is innocent

When did Rampage become a wrestler? Also, when did Arona a Jui Jitsu guy become a wrestler? More delusional Shogun talk here. Honestly, I wouldn't dislike the guy but this fans are the worst. Also, Cosby is innocent

I'm not sure if you're joking or if you are actually this fucking dumb.

rampage.jpg

And I dunno if Cosby is innocent or not...... but just because your mom said yes, doesn't mean all the other girls did.

In no particular order:

1-Antonio Nogueira circa 2001-2005

An elite bjj fighter with an iron chin, decent boxing and insane cardio? Well that sounds scary. People used to say Nogueira didn’t lose fights, he just ran out of time, and for a good reason.

Good luck at trying to GnP Nog’s iron chin and not getting subbed in the process. No doubt DC could take Nog down but he would pretty much be playing in a mousetrap the whole time. Some of his habits on the ground such as resting his extended arms on top of his opponents’ torso or leaving one arm in while in guard could easily get him subbed (more on that later).

Fedor was shaking off triangles and kimuras all the time while on Nogueira''s guard. Cormier simply doesn't have the awareness nor technique do do that.

FE2.gif

PleasantCreepyCuttlefish.gif

DC’s best bet would probably be to sprawl and brawl (kinda like Fedor did in their 3rd fight), however Nogueira, while not heavy handed, had pretty decent boxing (outstruck guys like Kharitonov), while Cormier’s striking is pretty basic; he's flat footed and has a sloppy defense, albeit a hard hitter. Nog would be mixing both strikes and TD's which could led to more openings.

Cardio would no doubt be a key factor. DC doesn’t have great cardio (gassed in 2 rounds vs. Jones, gassed in a 3 round fight vs. Anderson Silva) while Nogueira had amazing cardio and could wear DC down.

Fedor trying to finish a Terminator:

Fedor%252520vs%252520Nogueira%252520GNP%252520%2525282%252529.gif

2-Mirko Crocop circa 2003-2006

An elite striker with killer takedown defense? Sounds like a wrestler’s worst nightmare. I don’t think it’s a stretch to say Mirko would have been the worst possible match-up for DC in the history of the sport.

Forget about the head kicks (which DC loves eating). Cormier’s poor defense and ability to take body shots is about the worst weakness you can have against Crocop. It’s not like Cormier just got caught once or twice, he’s actually not good at defending body shots at all.

Seriously, when an old and out of prime Anderson Silva can make scream from pain with a left body kick, you should thank the universe you never had to fight a prime Mirko Crocop.

giphy.gif

cro-cop-body-kicks-herring-o.gif

CroCopTKOsIbragimMagomedov.gif

Somebody please tell Cormier how to defend body kicks:

117869673_display_image.jpg

I forgot the sport has evolved so much, fighters now don’t defend body kicks, they just take them like men.

Now DC has heavy hands and could catch Mirko ala Kevin Randleman, but honestly chances would be very slim. DC isn’t nearly as fast or explosive as Kevin was. He's slower and more flat footed, which makes him an easier target for strikes. Getting his head or liver kicked into oblivion seems a lot more likely.

3-Ubereem / Econoreem

Do I really need to explain anything here?

sGpFwmv.gif

QualifiedBlindAfricanjacana.gif

oo4fyUy.gif

<36>

brock-overeem.gif

overeem-knee-ko-o.gif

Reem has the TD defense and his striking is miles above DC's. Sure Overeem’s chin can always betray him, but DC getting kneed and body kicked to oblivion seems a lot more likely.

4-Fabricio Werdum

The man who subbed Fedor, Cain and KO’d Mark Hunt. Nuff said.

With that world class bjj, Werdum’s guard is pretty much the last place on earth Cormier should want to be. To make it worse, the dude is also a very capable striker:

vrsj2u.gif

Werdum.gif

Standing or on the ground, Cormier has no place to hide.

5- Fedor Emelianenko circa 2003-2006

We all know DC is a black prime Fedor

<36>

but with inferior striking, speed, reflexes, timing, elusiveness, agressivenes, pace, transitions, chin, cardio, sweeps, subs, sub defense,"heart", and the list goes on. Who the hell called DC black Fedor?

The stand-up isn't even close. Fedor fought and outstruck several elite strikers. Considering all of the above, DC having his way with Fedor in the stand-up is simply wishful thinking. He would most likely get overwhelmed, hurt and dropped.

Now DC could take Fedor down (or slam him on his head, doesn't matter). The problem is, DC tends to leave himself opened for subs when on top.

Leaving his arms like this for instance could get him armbarred quickly:

CORMIER3.png

One arm in next to his opponent's head.

CORMIER6.png

CORMIER7.png

This was 2 seconds before Coleman got armbarred:

CORMIER5.png

Cormier's arm doesn't even need to be that deep. This is Fedor's armbar starting position:

FEDOR1.png

FEDOR.png

Now you might say DC has better sub defense than Coleman (does he?), but that's irrelevant. If he leaves his arms like that he gets armbarred just like him.

Standing or on the ground Fedor was simply just too much for DC to handle. He had a lot more weapons at his disposal. DC's best bet would be to LnP Fedor and avoid the subs/sweeps, but given his habits on the ground that's simply not likely.

Honorable mention: Stipe Miocic

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bottom line:

There's no denying Daniel Comier proved himself to be a top heavyweight, defeating top fighters like Antonio Silva and Josh Barnett to win the Strikeforce Grand Prix. That being said, he never really fought the best HW's in the world at the time (Overeem, Werdum, Cain, JDS).

Some people even think Cormier was too good for the HW division, but I think the reason he has been doing so well is in fact that he’s NOT fighting at HW; not getting punched, kneed and body kicked by some of the guys mentioned above and others.

Hopefuly he'll move up again soon.

One of the worst threads I've ever read

I'm not sure if you're joking or if you are actually this fucking dumb.

rampage.jpg

And I dunno if Cosby is innocent or not...... but just because your mom said yes, doesn't mean all the other girls did.

Rampage is NOT known as a wrestler in the cage or back in Pride he was known for his boxing and his power slams. The idea that Rampage is a wrestler just shows how desperate Shogun fans are. By your logic Chuck Liddell is also a wrestler. The only problem is we all know Chuck did NOT wrestle he was a striker. Just because someone did some wrestling in their past does NOT make them a wrestler.

531902_cVeB5nIpME5tz3oz7c47_o_display_image.jpeg

There are plenty of MMA fighters who have belts in BJJ that does NOT make them Jui Jitsu fighters like Damien Maia, a fighter who relies heavily on BJJ. No one would say Rashad Evans is a Jui Jitsu fighter because he has a black belt.

Your video for Arona does not work in my country for whatever reason. It doesn't matter because no one would consider Arona in the same grappler as Mark Coleman (who broke Shogun's arm btw) who would never just sit on his back with an open guard, what wrestler does that. I just rewatched Arona vs. Shogun and Arona not only fights just like a BJJ guy but literally laid down with open guard lol.

Rampage is NOT known as a wrestler in the cage or back in Pride he was known for his boxing and his power slams. The idea that Rampage is a wrestler just shows how desperate Shogun fans are. By your logic Chuck Liddell is also a wrestler. The only problem is we all know Chuck did NOT wrestle he was a striker. Just because someone did some wrestling in their past does NOT make them a wrestler.

531902_cVeB5nIpME5tz3oz7c47_o_display_image.jpeg

There are plenty of MMA fighters who have belts in BJJ that does NOT make them Jui Jitsu fighters like Damien Maia, a fighter who relies heavily on BJJ. No one would say Rashad Evans is a Jui Jitsu fighter because he has a black belt.

Your video for Arona does not work in my country for whatever reason. It doesn't matter because no one would consider Arona in the same grappler as Mark Coleman (who broke Shogun's arm btw) who would never just sit on his back with an open guard, what wrestler does that. I just rewatched Arona vs. Shogun and Arona not only fights just like a BJJ guy but literally laid down with open guard lol.

Try actually watching some of his fights..... Rampage wrestled all the time when he was first in Pride.

He took Chuck Liddell 3 times... Vovachanchyn twice, Murilo 6 times, went 1 for 4 in Wanderlei I, he took down Arona, tried to take Shogun down twice, took Lindland 3x, took Henderson down twice.

He basically tried to take down every single fighter he fought multiple times throughout the first 5 or 6 years of his career.. His entire persona pretty much screamed pro wrestler on top of it.

Try actually watching the MMA.

Try actually watching some of his fights..... Rampage wrestled all the time when he was first in Pride.

He took Chuck Liddell 3 times... Vovachanchyn twice, Murilo 6 times, went 1 for 4 in Wanderlei I, he took down Arona, tried to take Shogun down twice, took Lindland 3x, took Henderson down twice.

He basically tried to take down every single fighter he fought multiple times throughout the first 5 or 6 years of his career.. His entire persona pretty much screamed pro wrestler on top of it.

Try actually watching the MMA.

These bums dont really watch the fights. Just a bunch of geeks reading stats from a computer screen.

A better question is when did someone with such obviously limited knowledge of MMA history become so confident in his opinions on the subject?

Rampage and Arona didn't present a threat wrestling wise? seriously go back and watch almost any fight they had in Pride.

About the TD's, DC has never taken down someone with Overeem's TD defense, size and leverage. Anderson Silva, Rumble, Gus, Henderson, Barnett, etc. those guys are not known for being too hard to take down. I'm not saying DC couldn't do it, but that's far from a guarantee. Miocic did take Overeem down but that was because he was overwhelming him in the stand-up, with striking DC doesn't have.

An old ass Frank Mir took Overeem down. Cormier could definitely put Reem on his back because unlike someone like Brock Lesnar who only has a power double leg takedown, Cormier is very good at chain wrestling and chains from leg takedowns to body locks with smoothness. No doubt in my mind he could take down Econoreem and not with much difficulty. I think Ubereem would be a lot harder to takedown but he was 265lbs and juiced out of his mind so what difference does it make?

Rumble is very hard to take down if he isnt gassed. He stuffed Phil Davis with ease for 3 rounds and Davis is an All American championship wrestler and DC took Rumble down and smothered the fuck out of him.

You can pretend Gus is easy to take down but he was able to stuff plenty of Jon Jones takedowns and Jones took down EVERYONE he's ever fought and DC ragdolled Gus like a small boy.

Miocic took Overeem down because Stipe is athletic as fuck and shoots fast, clever single leg takedowns and has very underrated wrestling.

You gotta give fighters credit where its due.

Styles make fights.

DC's style fits Nogueira like a glove.

And Nog is relentless and is actually good in the clinch I see him wearing DC out in a 5 rounder.

As for Fador I see fedor get taken down but I think he can sweel DC and once that happens DC will eat a ton of GnP.

Nog even moreso than Fedor would depend massively on how Cormier could deal with his grappling.

Back