5 nightmare HW match-ups for Daniel Cormier (past & present)

Jeez Claude you are still at it on here huh? You are too bias to argue, you sound irrational, emotional, and ignorant every time you enter a Fedor post. 26-1? Cool, but he fought some real shit competition. Nagata, Zulu, Choi, Goodridge, Apostolov, Takada, Lazarov, Lagvilava, Hasdell, etc. DC came in right away after grueling OLYMPIC regime and after his 3rd fight he starts fighting some pretty damn good fighters fighting HW 5-0 MMA 24-0 boxing fighter, after that in his 4th fight he fights 4-0 HW KOTC HW champion, and then goes onto fight Sao, Bigfoot Silva (guy who beat Fedor, fought him right after that and beat the fuck out of him), Barnett, Mir, Nelson, Hendo (guy who KO'd Fedor), Rumble, Gus, Jones, Anderson Silva...whose who of MMA in his first 19 MMA fights.

DC resume at 19 fights > Fedor resume at 19 fights and it is not even an argument!

DC OLYMPIC WRESTLING and MMA accomplishments > Fedor Sambo and MMA accopmlishments = DC being superior athlete.

Claude you need to take your Fedor bias glasses off and see the truth Breh.

Cheers mate!

Nothing wrong with Goodridge, he was in his best form in the early 2000's going undefeated bar Fedor and Nog for over 5 years, I think that Goodridge might well get into the HW top 10 today. Likewise I would be interested to see a lot of HW's today fight pre brain op(which seemed to have a similar effect to Bigfoot) Choi, the submission weakness was there to exploit but it took high level technique to do it.

On Cormiers side you are also talking about quite a few guys on the slide, Hendo off TRT, Mir post JDS who never picked up another high level win(Bigfoot in retrospect clearly wasn't) again and Anderson who is obviously past his best as well.

Indeed what I think stands out in the Pride era is that your not dealing with very many past time results, because the sport was younger and the previous generation wasn't held in the same reverence(and even then wasn't THAT old) I think you had far fewer wins of more questionable quality.

Then of course your talking the argument that somehow fighting more often is bad, I'd take a fighter who faces high level comp AND mixing in mid level comp. The reality is that after the very early stages of his career Fedor wasn't fighting low level comp very often at all, from 2002 onwards I would say only Valavičius and Nagata come close to that.

Nothing wrong with Goodridge, he was in his best form in the early 2000's going undefeated bar Fedor and Nog for over 5 years, I think that Goodridge might well get into the HW top 10 today. Likewise I would be interested to see a lot of HW's today fight pre brain op(which seemed to have a similar effect to Bigfoot) Choi, the submission weakness was there to exploit but it took high level technique to do it.

On Cormiers side you are also talking about quite a few guys on the slide, Hendo off TRT, Mir post JDS who never picked up another high level win(Bigfoot in retrospect clearly wasn't) again and Anderson who is obviously past his best as well.

Indeed what I think stands out in the Pride era is that your not dealing with very many past time results, because the sport was younger and the previous generation wasn't held in the same reverence(and even then wasn't THAT old) I think you had far fewer wins of more questionable quality.

Then of course your talking the argument that somehow fighting more often is bad, I'd take a fighter who faces high level comp AND mixing in mid level comp. The reality is that after the very early stages of his career Fedor wasn't fighting low level comp very often at all, from 2002 onwards I would say only Valavičius and Nagata come close to that.

Good post.

Fixed.

Thanks.

Try harder.

It's not even that I disagree with what you're trying to do here (which is a fun list of interesting hypothetical matchups), but you sell Cormier so short in all of this that it makes reading your analysis very difficult to stomach.

Try harder.

It's not even that I disagree with what you're trying to do here (which is a fun list of interesting hypothetical matchups), but you sell Cormier so short in all of this that it makes reading your analysis very difficult to stomach.

Feel free to elaborate.

Feel free to elaborate.

Sure.

Your Overeem breakdown is 3 sentences that offer no relevant evidence of anything. You show 2 Overeem gifs as if that acts as some sort of justification, both of which are against guys that have literally no striking pedigree of any kind. You make no mention of Cormier's ability to bully larger and tougher grapplers historically, or how Reem struggles against guys who are in his face the entire fight. You also make no mention of the numerous times Alistair has literally given up on the ground when he is taken down and beaten upon (which Cormier would be likely to do, given that he's dragged every fighter not named Jon Jones to the ground).

Additionally, in the Nog "analysis", you say Cormier has bad cardio, implying that he gasses frequently or some shit like that. Cormier certainly slowed down against Jones, but the Silva mention is bullshit. Cormier hardly slowed down in round 3, and still dominated the round outside of one kick Silva landed. There's a reason the judges had that fight 30-26 across all three of them. Furthermore, I'd say this is especially shitty analysis given the fights Cormier has relied on cardio and pace to win in plenty of fights. He ground Mir down over 3 rounds (even complaining to the ref when there was a break in action to how Mir was getting a break), he ground out both Hendo and Johnson to finishes, and he went 5 grueling rounds in one of the all time great LHW against Gus to gut out an impressive decision win, ultimately winning the fights by pushing the pace in the clinch against Gus. There are examples beyond the mentioned ones of Cormier showing cardio as one of his weapons, rather than a weakness.

There are more examples of Cormier showing cardio, pace, and guts, than there are showing him slowing down and wilting (the only example of that really is Jones).

You make no mention of anything pro-Cormier in any of this analysis, rather simply pulling simple conclusions with limited examples. At no point do you acknowledge counter-arguments to your points either, which is basic to making a convincing argument. What you wrote up, in short, is basically a biased opinion peace with next to no fair evidence for both sides.

I can go on, but it all points back to the same thing. A very biased assessment. Hell, I even think guys like a prime Cro Cop and Fedor would be a very tough fight for Cormier, but your analysis of it is provides little to actually having an interesting discussion or read.

Sure.

Your Overeem breakdown is 3 sentences that offer no relevant evidence of anything. You show 2 Overeem gifs as if that acts as some sort of justification, both of which are against guys that have literally no striking pedigree of any kind. You make no mention of Cormier's ability to bully larger and tougher grapplers historically, or how Reem struggles against guys who are in his face the entire fight. You also make no mention of the numerous times Alistair has literally given up on the ground when he is taken down and beaten upon (which Cormier would be likely to do, given that he's dragged every fighter not named Jon Jones to the ground).

Additionally, in the Nog "analysis", you say Cormier has bad cardio, implying that he gasses frequently or some shit like that. Cormier certainly slowed down against Jones, but the Silva mention is bullshit. Cormier hardly slowed down in round 3, and still dominated the round outside of one kick Silva landed. There's a reason the judges had that fight 30-26 across all three of them. Furthermore, I'd say this is especially shitty analysis given the fights Cormier has relied on cardio and pace to win in plenty of fights. He ground Mir down over 3 rounds (even complaining to the ref when there was a break in action to how Mir was getting a break), he ground out both Hendo and Johnson to finishes, and he went 5 grueling rounds in one of the all time great LHW against Gus to gut out an impressive decision win, ultimately winning the fights by pushing the pace in the clinch against Gus. There are examples beyond the mentioned ones of Cormier showing cardio as one of his weapons, rather than a weakness.

There are more examples of Cormier showing cardio, pace, and guts, than there are showing him slowing down and wilting (the only example of that really is Jones).

You make no mention of anything pro-Cormier in any of this analysis, rather simply pulling simple conclusions with limited examples. At no point do you acknowledge counter-arguments to your points either, which is basic to making a convincing argument. What you wrote up, in short, is basically a biased opinion peace with next to no fair evidence for both sides.

I can go on, but it all points back to the same thing. A very biased assessment. Hell, I even think guys like a prime Cro Cop and Fedor would be a very tough fight for Cormier, but your analysis of it is provides little to actually having an interesting discussion or read.

As far as Overeem goes grappling is a little hard to gage today but I wouldn't say he has generally looked fragile there. Stipe KOed him after already hunting him standing and vs Arona he had an existing neck injury and a leg injury during the fight plus was facing arguably the best positional grappler in MMA history landing big GnP from back mount. Shogun as well was an excellent positional grappler at that stage and beat him down from mount via cardio and with one big diving shot in the rematch,

I'm not sure anything we've seen from Cormier on the ground would hint that he's a big threat to OVereem there. Rumble for example is MUCH more vulnerable off of his back on the ground folding multiple times vs opponents not really known for finishing on, he gives up that RnC like clockwork.

STanding obviously Cormier has enough power to threaten Overeems chin but he isn't as big a hitter as Stipe or Hunt and not that speedy. He could threaten wrestling wise but Overeem defends very well when not hurt and as Cladue's gifs pointed out is great at landing exactly the kind of shots Cormier has looked most vulnerable to, knees and kicks to the body and knees to the head. If Gus dropped him with one I would say the Uberknee is a definite threat to him and besides that I think its an obvious cardio sapping attack.

As far as Overeem goes grappling is a little hard to gage today but I wouldn't say he has generally looked fragile there. Stipe KOed him after already hunting him standing and vs Arona he had an existing neck injury and a leg injury during the fight plus was facing arguably the best positional grappler in MMA history landing big GnP from back mount. Shogun as well was an excellent positional grappler at that stage and beat him down from mount via cardio and with one big diving shot in the rematch

I'm not sure anything we've seen from Cormier on the ground would hint that he's a big threat to OVereem there. Rumble for example is MUCH more vulnerable off of his back on the ground folding multiple times vs opponents not really known for finishing on, he gives up that RnC like clockwork.

STanding obviously Cormier has enough power to threaten Overeems chin but he isn't as big a hitter as Stipe or Hunt and not that speedy. He could threaten wrestling wise but Overeem defends very well when not hurt and as Cladue's gifs pointed out is great at landing exactly the kind of shots Cormier has looked most vulnerable to, knees and kicks to the body and knees to the head. If Gus dropped him with one I would say the Uberknee is a definite threat to him and besides that I think its an obvious cardio sapping attack.

My point wasn't so much to say Cormier would dominate/ finish Overeem . More that Cormier has certain skills Overeem has shown vulnerability to in the past, and that the assessment in the OP was crap for not acknowledging it.

Overeem is one of the most technical HWs of all time (frankly, a very technical fighter regardless of weight class), and it's a huge part of the reason for his successes despite his often fragile moments.

But because he is fragile and has a history of wilting in fights, I firmly believe he wouldn't walk through Cormier as TS suggests. A fight against the monster that was Ubereem is tougher to predict, but HW Reem before or after that showed he never liked being bullied, and often would wilt when the fight wasn't going his way.

I think when Overeem is on point, he has good chances to beat just about anyone. I'm just tired of shitty analysis on this site.

My point wasn't so much to say Cormier would dominate/ finish Overeem . More that Cormier has certain skills Overeem has shown vulnerability to in the past, and that the assessment in the OP was crap for not acknowledging it.

Overeem is one of the most technical HWs of all time (frankly, a very technical fighter regardless of weight class), and it's a huge part of the reason for his successes despite his often fragile moments.

But because he is fragile and has a history of wilting in fights, I firmly believe he wouldn't walk through Cormier as TS suggests. A fight against the monster that was Ubereem is tougher to predict, but HW Reem before or after that showed he never liked being bullied, and often would wilt when the fight wasn't going his way.

I think when Overeem is on point, he has good chances to beat just about anyone. I'm just tired of shitty analysis on this site.

Really though you've always either needed to get to Overeems chin or test his cardio to beat him.

Cormier has a decent amount of power and is tough but style wise I do tend to agree with Claude that it would not be a good fight for Cormier.

One massive issue with this debate of course is how Cormier deals with guys who have elite sub games off of there backs. Thus far he's not really faced anyone like that as Barnett has always been more of a top gamer.

Really though you've always either needed to get to Overeems chin or test his cardio to beat him.

Cormier has a decent amount of power and is tough but style wise I do tend to agree with Claude that it would not be a good fight for Cormier.

One massive issue with this debate of course is how Cormier deals with guys who have elite sub games off of there backs. Thus far he's not really faced anyone like that as Barnett has always been more of a top gamer.

I don't believe Cormier would have much issue finding Overeem's chin. Cormier's had no problem landing shots on guys just as long as Overeem, and who frankly fight better at a range than him. Both Gus and Jones are long, and Jones uses his range as well as anyone. Cormier got inside on both of those guys. Even guys like Barnett and Rumble are lanky, and Cormier still landed good shots on both of them.

I suppose Overeem on his back with Cormier on top is a bit of an unknown. I can't recall any fights where I was overly impressed by Reem's guard. His guillotine is killer and he keeps guard well, but I don't recall him threatening with much outside of that.

For me, this fight entirely would come down to who wins the clinch battle. Cormier usually uses the clinch heavily to land strikes and hit takedowns, and all of Reem's best striking is done in the clinch.

Sure.

The purpose of this thread isn't really to make a full analysis of the fights mentioned. I'm simply showing how DC's weaknesses match up well with other fighter's strengths, more so than the other way around. There's a reason this thread is called the way it is.

I pretty much acknowledged DC has a way to win in every case, but I think his chances of losing would have been greater for the reasons I mentioned.

About Overeem struggling with guys who are in his face, he's beaten guys like that not long ago (JDS, Arlovski)
He lost to Stipe who's a pretty good striker. Against Rothwell, Browne and Bigfoot, he pretty much got caught by hard shots. I'm not sure how any of this proves anything in favor of DC, other than him having a puncher's chance, something I had already acknowledged.

I doubt DC would be looking to stand in a striking range vs. Overeem. He'd most likely try to clinch and dirty box him, however he would simply be too susceptible to getting kneed on the body and DC doesn't take those well.

About the TD's, DC has never taken down someone with Overeem's TD defense, size and leverage. Anderson Silva, Rumble, Gus, Henderson, Barnett, etc. those guys are not known for being too hard to take down. I'm not saying DC couldn't do it, but that's far from a guarantee. Miocic did take Overeem down but that was because he was overwhelming him in the stand-up, with striking DC doesn't have.

DC has also taken knees, hard punches and body shots from a striking range and Overeem has the reach and skills to do that. DC has been hurt in his last 3 fights by strikes, from less skilled and less powerful men. Would Overeem be the exception? My logic tells me he wouldn't be.

So, given all of this I simply think Overeem coming on top is the more likely scenario. DC can win, yes, but Overeem can win easier.

I disgree about DC's cardio. I think he looked visibly tired in the Silva fight, as well as in his fight with Mir (just rewatched that fight actually, and they both looked tired). Against Jones, he was done by the 3rd. The thing about Nog is that winning or losing he just didn't stop. His cardio was insane. I think the only time I've seen Fedor barely being able to keep his hands up was in the 3rd fight vs. Nog and Fedor showed better cardio than DC throughout his career.

Cheers.

Last edited:
I don't believe Cormier would have much issue finding Overeem's chin. Cormier's had no problem landing shots on guys just as long as Overeem, and who frankly fight better at a range than him. Both Gus and Jones are long, and Jones uses his range as well as anyone. Cormier got inside on both of those guys. Even guys like Barnett and Rumble are lanky, and Cormier still landed good shots on both of them.

I suppose Overeem on his back with Cormier on top is a bit of an unknown. I can't recall any fights where I was overly impressed by Reem's guard. His guillotine is killer and he keeps guard well, but I don't recall him threatening with much outside of that.

For me, this fight entirely would come down to who wins the clinch battle. Cormier usually uses the clinch heavily to land strikes and hit takedowns, and all of Reem's best striking is done in the clinch.

I think Jones and Overeem whilst similar in some respects are rather different in how they control distance though. A lot of Jones game depends on the threat of the takedown and then ment that Cormier was able to get closer to him than other opponents have although he still didn't find it easy. Overeem though works much more though the threat of the counter, especially kicks and knees to the body and I think Cormier would have a tougher time dealing with this.

I'd agree the clinch would be a big issue as well and I think again that's not good for Cormier as Overeem would have the same leverage on him Jones did whilst being much more dangerous with knees.

Whilst he won it the Mir fight for me did not really leave a good impression for Cormiers chances at HW long term. He had real problem with Franks reach and eating body kicks from someone who isn't even that known for them and seemingly didn't want to enguage a dangerous grappler on the ground. He basically got by on Mir's weakness in the clinch which would be exactly the opposite vs Overeem.

One issue as well with guys like Fedor and Nog especially would be cardio, even if Cormier can survive in top position against them they had the gas tank to go at a fast pace for 20 mins(I think the 10 min first round makes it a similar test to 25 mins)and being gassed against them would be a very dangerous position to be in.

I do tend to think he got out of HW at the right time after a few big matches that worked well with his style.

MMAth doesn't work and much less when timing isn't taken into account. The more you watch MMA the more you will understand that.

Styles make fights. Golden rule of MMA. Learn that first and foremost.

Cheers.

This is the craziest part of their arguments. They talk about fighters like they're physical constants or an element on the periodic table.

The reality is fighters and measuring them is something that happens very dynamically.

Some fighters age worse than others, some end up with more wear and tear, some get that lucky win in a fight that they'd lose more often than not, or how about the mental game of the fighter which we'll never truly know, is he hungry still? Is he now fighting purely for the money? Under what new organization or rules is this fight taking place?

For me, being that I'm an analyst and a fighter myself, I understand what's going on inside the cage. You can tell a fighter deteriorate by what he's doing and most importantly by what he's not doing in the cage.

Fedor in his prime;
Used striking to clinch
Took down people from the clinch with his amazing Sambo and Judo credentials
Would work relentless ground and pound, but would be careful not to lose the dominant position
His striking was more calculated and methodical, take a look at the Crocop fight.
He'd go for submissions if he had someone hurt, instead of trying to force a ground and pound finish.
Fedor didn't gass.

Fedor since he fought Brett Rogers;
Does not use striking to clinch, he fell in love with his hands but he's not a striker either. Now he's just a wild brawler.
The clinch is a second thought to him. No longer is taking people down the main part of his gameplan.
His ground and pound is now wild and centered on finishing it right them and there as if to get a TKO finish instantly, he's no longer patient and loses the dominant position.
His striking, was never that good either, now it's even worse, completely abandoning jabs, slips, and movement, and choosing to stand and trade with much bigger men.
He no longer goes for submissions at all.
Fedor gasses, showing lack of conditioning.

All those things I listed. The negatives, were visible in the Bret Rogers fight. Anyone who knows what they're watching saw Fedor win, but they also saw the begging of his decline.

This is the craziest part of their arguments. They talk about fighters like they're physical constants or an element on the periodic table.

The reality is fighters and measuring them is something that happens very dynamically.

Some fighters age worse than others, some end up with more wear and tear, some get that lucky win in a fight that they'd lose more often than not, or how about the mental game of the fighter which we'll never truly know, is he hungry still? Is he now fighting purely for the money? Under what new organization or rules is this fight taking place?

For me, being that I'm an analyst and a fighter myself, I understand what's going on inside the cage. You can tell a fighter deteriorate by what he's doing and most importantly by what he's not doing in the cage.

Fedor in his prime;
Used striking to clinch
Took down people from the clinch with his amazing Sambo and Judo credentials
Would work relentless ground and pound, but would be careful not to lose the dominant position
His striking was more calculated and methodical, take a look at the Crocop fight.
He'd go for submissions if he had someone hurt, instead of trying to force a ground and pound finish.
Fedor didn't gass.

Fedor since he fought Brett Rogers;
Does not use striking to clinch, he fell in love with his hands but he's not a striker either. Now he's just a wild brawler.
The clinch is a second thought to him. No longer is taking people down the main part of his gameplan.
His ground and pound is now wild and centered on finishing it right them and there as if to get a TKO finish instantly, he's no longer patient and loses the dominant position.
His striking, was never that good either, now it's even worse, completely abandoning jabs, slips, and movement, and choosing to stand and trade with much bigger men.
He no longer goes for submissions at all.
Fedor gasses, showing lack of conditioning.

All those things I listed. The negatives, were visible in the Bret Rogers fight. Anyone who knows what they're watching saw Fedor win, but they also saw the begging of his decline.

david-tennant-laughing-o.gif

Haha immediately after his last win before he started to lose he was out of his prime. You guys cannot make thsi shit up its so fucking comically embarrassing. Fedor really started to get out of his prime when he came out of retirement, that is when you REALLY started to see it. He was absolutely in his prime for his 3 defeats, no matter how many novel posts you make or close your eyes and wish it away...it will not happen mate! Reality and fact of the matter is he lost in his prime, he lost 4 times in his prime. Sorry man, that is just the way it is!

david-tennant-laughing-o.gif

Haha immediately after his last win before he started to lose he was out of his prime. You guys cannot make thsi shit up its so fucking comically embarrassing. Fedor really started to get out of his prime when he came out of retirement, that is when you REALLY started to see it. He was absolutely in his prime for his 3 defeats, no matter how many novel posts you make or close your eyes and wish it away...it will not happen mate! Reality and fact of the matter is he lost in his prime, he lost 4 times in his prime. Sorry man, that is just the way it is!

Hey look you again in every thread related to Fedor. Lol are you going admit yet that you have been banned on multiple accounts so far?

LOL the fight before fighting Fedor he fought a guy with 0 professional fights!!!! He also beat a guy twice who never fought a professional MMA fight before and ended his MMA career at 0-2 both times losing to Goodridge. Before that beat a guy who was 1-4. After Fedor he continued to beat inexperienced fighters beating a guy who was 1-0 (that guys victory was over a guy who was 0-2). After beating the 1-0 fighter he fights another guy with 0 fucking MMA fights! His best win was Valentijin Overeem. Stop just pumping some guy up because he beat a shit ton of fighters with no MMA experience and Kenneth Allen-esque records.

Last edited:
Hey look you again in every thread related to Fedor. Lol are you going admit yet that you have been banned on multiple accounts so far?

Whats up my groupie? How about you take my nuts off of your chin?!?! And to be clear you are the one who admitted ot having multiple accounts and being banned, I have NEVER been banned on this site. Again, take my nuts off of our chin breh. Later Mate!

Whats up my groupie? How about you take my nuts off of your chin?!?! And to be clear you are the one who admitted ot having multiple accounts and being banned, I have NEVER been banned on this site. Again, take my nuts off of our chin breh. Later Mate!

You are PrydeShlls, JohnMangala, Huntgoato lol. Exposed

You are PrydeShlls, JohnMangala, Huntgoato lol. Exposed

Welcome to my banned list. You are like a nagging ex-GF that I broke up with and has some vendetta against me. Later groupie!

I will be taking my nuts from off your chin, need em for later.

Back