5/3/1 Assistance Templates: BBB or SS? | Page 2

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by KnightTemplar, Jun 27, 2012.

1. PhelpsMMA Orange Belt

PhelpsMMA
    Ok thanks guys, I assume its definitely not a beginner program then.

However, is it 'light' in terms of intensity? Considering you can run high volume assistance alongside it.

2. NurseKnuckles My Mom's stronger than you belt

NurseKnuckles
    Yes, I believe its something of an intermediate program. However I am not intermediate and I ran it; only because I could not keep up with the recovery demands of SS.

3. immovablestone Purple Belt

immovablestone
    When it comes to 5/3/1, BBB pleases Crom the most.

4. scoopj ackson

scoopj
    In before KT's heart attack.

5. sboone** Banned

sboone**
    Is it bad when you make your own assistance program?

6. scoopj ackson

scoopj
    Not if it's good.

mike sherry likes this.
  7. Neuro Purple Belt

Neuro
    SS sounds awesome, I dig it. I don't dig straight leg deadlifts after Squats though, ugh hahahaha. Or is the weight at the 50%/65% weight that BBB is?

8. Neuro Purple Belt

Neuro
    Wendler would put you in a garbage can, load that with 45 pound irons and some chains, and then OHP you. Maybe curl you for irony purposes.

/jk. 5/3/1 is awesome, and I think perfect for athletes. If I was purely lifting and doing nothing else, then I might do a different program than 5/3/1, or add more work in, but for athletes, I think it's pretty near perfect. Especially with a two to three day split. This is from my severly limited (as relative to others in here) knowledge.

9. KnightTemplar Sith Belt

KnightTemplar
    Infidel defiler! He shall drown in blood!!:icon_twis

10. guilineseguy Black Belt

guilineseguy
    Looking for a beginner program? Starting strength, name says it all.

You're probably alot like me (though I am doing much better. I have been sticking to my program. Not changing it, trying not to skip ahead) You wanna lift the god damn world over your head and throw it into the sun RIGHT NOW.

It comes man slowly but surely. I can say since sticking to the plan. My shitty ass bench has become much less shitty. I mean leaps and bounds. Just stick with it man. These guys forget more in a day about being strong than me and you think e know put together.

11. Neuro Purple Belt

Neuro
    I started lifting half-seriously about a year ago, but never really got on a program. I'm still a relative novice, so I do 5/3/1 (since SS is way too hard to recover from [for me] while training/competing) but instead of adding 5 (BP, OHP) and 10 (SQ, DL) pounds at the end of the cycle, I do about 10 and 20, respectively, (depending on how I feel) to my lifts.

12. DrBdan Something clever

DrBdan
    One of the advantages of 5/3/1 is its flexibility. It has evolved from the original program into something more like a general outline and a training philosophy that can be switched around and modified to fit your needs. The progression isn't groundbreaking but it's simple and logical so it works plus it leaves room for assistance exercises so you can easily tailor it to your needs.

If someone was so inclined they could probably do different variations of 5/3/1 for decades, progressing from beginner to intermediate to advanced versions and eventually even to variations tailored to older athletes.

That said, there were plenty of strong people before Wendler wrote 5/3/1 so its not like it's the end all, be all of lifting.

13. NurseKnuckles My Mom's stronger than you belt

NurseKnuckles
    Interesting. I considered this, but was unsure since I was very new to weightlifting. How has it gone so far?

14. PhelpsMMA Orange Belt

PhelpsMMA
    Would not keeping up with SS itself indicate it was heavy enough to be time to move on?

Or were you doing other things at the same time? I was doing SL 5x5 and it was going ok but when I was doing training 3-4 times a week on top it was way too much.

15. guilineseguy Black Belt

guilineseguy
    If you're still training, then you would probably want to do one of the three day splits, with the simplistic strength. One main lift, and an assistance.

16. DrBdan Something clever

DrBdan
    Yes this is exactly how you know when it's time to move on. A lot of people get caught up in the numbers game but progress will be different from person to person so if you are consistently stalling on a session to session progression like SS or SL5x5 that means it's time to move to a slower progression.

17. PhelpsMMA Orange Belt

PhelpsMMA
    Well as it goes I'm running starting strength, picking up at about 70% of where I left off when I was doing stronglifts to take it easy and really perfect form. I had a while out of lifting going straight back into full time cardio and training, cutting weight, then a long period of next to nothing during college exams. I can lift more than I am doing, but at the moment everything feels fairly easy enough I can keep adding weight, do some assistance and cycle a fairly tough route to and from the gym all while training fasted and leaning up but losing little weight. It is all I'm doing though so recovery is not an issue.

18. guilineseguy Black Belt

guilineseguy
    then just play around with a few different programs til you find out what fits you the best. There are alot to choose from.

19. myaa22 Yellow Belt

myaa22
    what do you guys think about replacing the close grip bench with the barbell row as main assistance lift for the OHP and adding dips on the same day ?

20. KnightTemplar Sith Belt

KnightTemplar
    The percentages go up each week. That's why you start with 3X10, then 8/8/6 and finally 3X5(which is the 5/3/1 week).

I think the main "advantages" of SS is that it takes less time than BBB and is also easier to recover from if one is training/competing in sports as well as Strength Training.

If all I was doing was Lifting for fun, BBB would be my first choice by a huge margin. But if I was using 5/3/1 as GPP for another sport, I'd probably do SS.