45 years since the last Moon Mission/Trump signs Space Policy Directive

Aside from @Phr3121, @Rebound59 and a precious few others, I don't think it's properly appreciated how absurd the Saturn V (1967-73) actually was* or what it takes to send humans beyond low earth orbit, particularly if it's with the intention of having them not only land on another astronomical body but returned to Earth in one piece which will invariably be the case sans far off colonization futurism, and it's quite convenient the moon's gravity is only 1/6 of Earth's where the latter is concerned

Well, thank you my friend. Happy to see you back at Sherdog. We have the technology from the 1960s to actually have manned missions of the entire solar system. The blue-print of the nuclear version of the Saturn-V below is sitting somewhere in the NASA archives. Either NASA or a private company could build this bad boy in a few years. If the U.S. does not do it, the Chinese certainly will.

* Click on image to expand.
Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Orion_(nuclear_propulsion)
B5HlKyU.jpg

I know, right? My stapler breaks every week but I'm supposed to believe that we can even make computers?

Why do you need a stapler? Who looks at paper anymore?

We've been to the moon almost 50 years ago. But we don't have the telemetry data, and we can't do it again for another 30 years.

The most successful space program in history was scrapped and we might make it back in 30 years.

The most successful space program in history was scrapped and we might make it back in 30 years.

Take the 'zero' off. Three (3) years, well maybe 7, if we put money and resources into it like we did with the Atomic Bomb (Manhattan) project in the 40s and the Apollo Program in the 60s. The 'big' rocket above is ready to be built with a few modifications from the 21st century.

Take the 'zero' off. Three (3) years, well maybe 7, if we put money and resources into it like we did with the Atomic Bomb (Manhattan) project in the 40s and the Apollo Program in the 60s. The 'big' rocket above is ready to be built with a few modifications from the 21st century.

So it's just rocketry keeping us from going back?

I am skeptical that he's going to pay for the wall and the moon while cutting government revenue and driving up the debt.
Ditto. When the funding actually gets to NASA I'll start to get behind it. For now, it's the same old bluster. It would be great if the one good thing I could say about the Orange Don was that he revitalized the space program, but I just don't see it happening.

lol no. it would take 10 years at most and i wouldn't be surprised if it was less with the same focus to get back to the moon and our rocket would be way better than what they had then.

Ditto. When the funding actually gets to NASA I'll start to get behind it. For now, it's the same old bluster. It would be great if the one good thing I could say about the Orange Don was that he revitalized the space program, but I just don't see it happening.

Trump Administration White House budget proposal as compared to the previous fiscal year before taking office and a strong indication of how they undeniably actually feel about science. Who knew? Um.

Aeronautics & Space Admin (NASA) (-3%)
Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) (-31%)
Institutes of Health (NIH) (-22%)
Oceanic & Atmospheric Admin (NOAA) (-16%)
US Geological Survey (USGS) (-15%)
Science Foundation (NSF) (-11%)
Institutes of Standards & Technology (NIST) (-23%)
STEM Education (-15%)

Trump Administration White House budget proposal as compared to the previous fiscal year before taking office and a strong indication of how they undeniably actually feel about science. Who knew? Um.

STEM Education (-15%)
I'd like to see his supporters try to argue this is a good thing LOL

I'd like to see his supporters try to argue this is a good thing LOL

"Fake Newz!" Even when it comes straight from the horse's mouth in the form of official Administration documentation. These people either simply don't care or they really are the absolute dribblers many present themselves to be. It's hard to begin to imagine how disastrous a 22% cut to the NIH would've been had Trump and Co. gotten their way, but thankfully - in this instance at least - Congress holds the power of the purse for appropriations. The NIH is the foremost biomedical research body on the planet with some 86 Nobel Prizes associated in Physiology/Medicine and Chemistry through their intramural and extramural programs.

NIH.png

One thing I never took DJT for was a guy who wanted to lose to China?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5470885/

And this stagnation actually occurred under Obama, he has the opportunity to maintain the USA's dominant position and decides to attempt to dismantle and gut it? C'mon, man.

STEM Education (-15%)

I'll try to argue in Trump favor. He said moon. We'll get to the moon.
Has he been wrong yet?

45 years ago today the last Apollo mission successfully landed safely after visiting the moon. I personally find it sad that our human exploration of space has largely stagnated and we need to hire the Russians to take us up to space. Do you guys think it is worth the resource for us to try and go back?I really think as a country it is something worth striving for and Mars and I am glad the President appears to be interested in going to Mars.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/starts...were-not-going-back-to-the-moon/#7f0256c62a5c
As a planet it is worth striving for. Humanity needs a Plan B.

As a planet it is worth striving for. Humanity needs a Plan B.

There's nothing wrong with the earth. If you think going to the moon or mars will 'save' us it won't.

The Earth is fine despite what you hear. It has been here a while. It will be here a while more.

It seems to me that we could produce a much greater frequency of hostile environmental experiments beneath the ocean because it is vastly closer than mars. I dont have any problem with space exploration as long as we dont interfere with life on other planets. There are many scuba divers and people love it so I do not agree that space travel automatically would be more popular, though there are obviously greater barriers to entry for astronauts. If technology advances through experimentation then it stands to reason that the location of the experiments is not the vital point, and due to the proximity of the ocean you could be advancing technology infinitely faster through testing your methods beneath the sea which would transition nicely into an easier path to mars and so on. As far as goverment spending goes, isn't Musk's space program privately funded? We don't really have a say in what our tax dollars are spent on so I don't think it's practical to take that stance or rely on appropriate allocation of monies by the government. What I mean is that with the two options for rulers that we had in the last election do you think either would not have approved the 19 billion dollar nasa budget for 2018? I am not without imagination and I'm not here to hate on the idea of space travel but I do think that it's interest has been disproportionatley prompted by popular culture and may not be the most pertinent form of exploration at this time. And I also don't presume that I am right about any of this in case you were wondering.
You already said all this stuff the other day still doesn't matter

"Fake Newz!" Even when it comes straight from the horse's mouth in the form of official Administration documentation. These people either simply don't care or they really are the absolute dribblers many present themselves to be. It's hard to begin to imagine how disastrous a 22% cut to the NIH would've been had Trump and Co. gotten their way, but thankfully - in this instance at least - Congress holds the power of the purse for appropriations. The NIH is the foremost biomedical research body on the planet with some 86 Nobel Prizes associated in Physiology/Medicine and Chemistry through their intramural and extramural programs.

NIH.png

One thing I never took DJT for was a guy who wanted to lose to China?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5470885/

And this stagnation actually occurred under Obama, he has the opportunity to maintain the USA's dominant position and decides to attempt to dismantle and gut it? C'mon, man.

Who you talking to? Obama raped the economy. Trump is bringing it back.

China bought up a metric ass ton of oil/gas companies in the US and Canada under Obama that shouldn't have happened.

That's right. The big 50th anniversary is coming up where they have to wheel that billion dollar lie out on center stage again. How many disasters have we had just trying to enter and re-enter from Earth's orbit only 300 miles up the past 30 years but I'm suppose to believe we went 240,000 miles out and back a dozen times with only one hitch (Apollo 13)? That's like flying a plane 5,000 feet up a few times but since then we won't go anymore than 5 inches off the ground.

Then you have the post press conference where the astronauts look like they're on trial for murder. With good reason because they might end up like Thomas Baron or Grissom. It's not 240,000 miles or nothing. The number one reason they say we don't go back is finances. So, go out 50,000 or 10,000 or 5,000..that doesn't happen though. Human exploration has never behaved this way. I don't think we can get man out of Earth's orbit or we would have done so many times since Tricky Dicky was in office.

Back