3DS XL Worth It?

Cheese

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I need to get my 7yr a birthday gift and wondering if the 3DS XL is still worth the price tag. I know the 2DS XL is comjng out next month but cant wait that long. Dont want a switch. So please dont recomend it. Just looking at 3DS xl for him. What are the best games out for it and what is thw newest one, 3DS Xl galaxy?

The New 3DS XL is only like $50 more than the 2DS XL is going to release for. It's not a huge jump in price, but as long as you're okay with the added cost it's a great little machine.

The New 3DS XL is only like $50 more than the 2DS XL is going to release for. It's not a huge jump in price, but as long as you're okay with the added cost it's a great little machine.

Yeah I saw the 2DS XL is gonna be a 50$ drop in price. I really wish it was coming out this week instead of next month. I would get that one cant really wait for it. His Birthday is next Tues. I am ok with the price but is there way to tell which is the newest 3DXL or are they all the same now and only sell one verison.

The new 3DS XL has "New" in the name. Also when looking at the unit, just above the "A/B/X/Y" Buttons there is a little control nub. It looks like a another little gray button.

The old 3DS XL's don't have that little control nub.

If he was a little older I would say get him a pre-order, wrap up a game and a picture of the 2DS XL he can claim in a month. My son is getting ready to turn 7 in a few weeks and patience is not a virtue, so I get the not waiting thing.

For games, I think ANIMAL CROSSING (New Leaf) is a really good one that almost everyone loves- I'm pretty sure its one of the most popular games for the 2/3DS XL.

It allows for a lot of creativity such as design (your own shirts, hats, etc) for your character to wear, making your town theme song (that plays whenever you walk indoors or someone from another town visits) and it contains a lot of minigames (like fishing, bug collecting, art collecting, collectable itesm that unlock other minigames, etc) and non-linear quests. You basically develop and arrange your town, but there's a ton of fun things to do, and there's a trillion things to collect and trade. It's enough to keep busy for literally 2 years or more. It's very well-made imo
SQ_3DS_AnimalCrossingNewLeaf_WelcomeAmiibo.jpg

If he has a friend who has the game (likely will) he can visit their town and vice versa and chat over the game via text/internet. It's pretty cool. 5/5

Last edited:
I'd say it's well worth it.
It's got an insane amount of games available, since it can play ds games as well as 3ds ones.
And I echo the animal cross rec. Good game.
Mario 3d Land is excellent as well, as is a link between worlds.

Definitely.

There are a number of games that were re-released with a $20 (or less depending on where you look) price tag that I would recommend: Luigi's Mansion, Ocarina of Time, Animal Crossing and Donkey Kong.

Thanks fot the replys yall. I am gonna pick him up one this weekend with animal crossing. Anyone know if Best Buy or Target having a 4th sale. Gamestop didnt even have a new one in box. But they did tell me I need to buy a charger for it. WTF

Thanks fot the replys yall. I am gonna pick him up one this weekend with animal crossing. Anyone know if Best Buy or Target having a 4th sale. Gamestop didnt even have a new one in box. But they did tell me I need to buy a charger for it. WTF

That doesn't surprise me Gamestop was sold out. I tried to buy my kid one on Black Friday and they were sold out everywhere for months. I finally found a 2DS in stock a few months back. I was blown away how little stock this thing had and how high the demand was for something that had been out for quite a while.

Didn't think about it from your original post, but the 2DS is an option as well if you don't want to wait for the 2DS XL. Plays all of the same games as the 3DS, but it's a little smaller, no 3D option, and doesn't fold up. The Mario Kart 7 Bundle is only $79.

Looks like this:

The 3ds has a dope game library. He'll have a fucking blast with Pokemon or Animal Crossing.

Definitely worth the purchase.

Pokémon. Definitely Pokémon Sun or Moon. I don't play Pokémon, but all my nieces and nephews love it :)

The new 2DS XL plays all of the newest 3DS games like Xenoblade and has the same guts inside as the newest 3DS XL with exception for 3D capability.

I have the New 3DS XL and I barely use the 3D function because it gives me headaches if I use it for an extended period.

So many great games on the 3DS (or 2DS doesn't matter).

Definitely worth it for a little kid. My girls use theirs all the time. And I play it to sometimes. All the retro Zelda games are great on it and the last new one was amazing too.

I bought one a month ago and recently got my Sky3DS + and R4 SDHC carts and been having a blast with the new Mario Kart 7 game. Still been having a hard time finding the Pokémon games though

I'd recommend it a lot of great games for the system and love the 3D capability although after a little while can be straining on the eyes

Back