3D printed Gun restrictions lifted per DOJ ruling.

Farmer Br0wn

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
https://www.wired.com/story/a-landmark-legal-shift-opens-pandoras-box-for-diy-guns/

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018/07/11/justice-department-ruling-legalises-3d-gun-printing/

Cody Wilson of Defense Distributed has won his case allowing him to freely disseminate information on how to 3D print the "Liberator" pistol.

In 2015 he was forced to remove the files from his website because the government alleged that this was a form of arms exportation.

Cody Wilson made an appeal on First Amendment grounds, and just won.

Another win for liberty!

What say you Sherdog? For those who believe that the spread of this information is somehow a negative, you need to actually demonstrate why the spread of this information would be a negative. The general availability of arms and ammunition being considered a negative will not be taken as a given. Private firearm ownership has increased in this country, all while violent crime rates have dropped. If you oppose the dissemination of this information, you're going to have to have a better reason than just "guns=bad".

Last edited:
I don’t know a lot about this 3D gun but my immediate response is that unregistered guns are a bad idea.

I didn't realize 3d printers could use materials that would hold up to firing ammunition. I thought it was for semi-brittle plastics and such. Very interesting. I kind of want to buy one myself, but not for this. I could make custom r/c parts when I do bruder conversions.

I don’t know a lot about this 3D gun but my immediate response is that unregistered guns are a bad idea.

It's perfectly legal to build your own firearm. So long as you built it yourself, there's no need to serialize the firearm.

Here is a homemade shotgun made with $20 worth of hardware store parts. A firearm like this can be assembled in less than an hour (depending on the stock you want):

Unregistered firearms are already a part of our reality.

Since constructing homemade Firearms is a perfectly normal part of the American experience, why would a 3D printed firearm be put in any other legal or moral category?

I didn't realize 3d printers could use materials that would hold up to firing ammunition. I thought it was for semi-brittle plastics and such. Very interesting. I kind of want to buy one myself, but not for this. I could make custom r/c parts when I do bruder conversions.
A fascinating documentary going into the history and details of 3D printed firearms:

Here's a news story about the first fully functional 3D printed gun "The Liberator".

Another win for liberty, and the good guys!

What say you Sherdog? For those who believe that the spread of this information is somehow a negative, you need to actually demonstrate why the spread of this information would be a negative. The general availability of arms and ammunition being considered a negative will not be taken as a given. Private firearm ownership has increased in this country, all while violent crime rates have dropped. If you oppose the dissemination of this information, you're going to have to have a better reason than just "guns=bad".

Because when you buy a gun from the gun store you are subjected to a background check and a wait period.

People absolutely should not be able to print their own unregistered guns in their house. I honestly can't believe anybody would think that is a good idea. I like guns just fine. When I want one, I should have to go through a process to ensure I'm qualified to purchase one.

A fascinating documentary going into the history and details of 3D printed firearms:

Here's a news story about the first fully functional 3D printed gun "The Liberator".

I appreciate the vids. I will definitely check them out when I'm home this evening.

Because when you buy a gun from the gun store you are subjected to a background check and a wait period.

People absolutely should not be able to print their own unregistered guns in their house. I honestly can't believe anybody would think that is a good idea. I like guns just fine. When I want one, I should have to go through a process to ensure I'm qualified to purchase one.

I posted this and reply to another poster in this thread, but it perfectly applies to what you have just posted:

Here is a homemade shotgun made with $20 worth of hardware store parts. A firearm like this can be assembled in less than an hour (depending on the stock you want):

Since constructing homemade Firearms is a perfectly normal part of the American experience, why would a 3D printed firearm be put in any other legal or moral category?

I think the issue would be that relatively few people can assemble their own pipe shotgun, but 3-D technology carries potential to spread amateur gun-smithing abilities much more broadly. I'm bit skeptical that homemade firearms are currently all that common.

I posted this and reply to another poster in this thread, but it perfectly applies to what you have just posted:

People also make meth. It's part of our reality. I don't think that should be legal either.

Wait periods are not the law in many states. A background check from an FFL is, but in any state that allows person-to-person transactions (guns being sold to someone else, guns being willed down to another person, etc), background checks do not occur.

People have been assembling their own weapons for a long time, and most states do not require you to register your firearm with state or local authorities. As such, these weapons fall into the same category upon production: unregistered firearms.

People also make meth. It's part of our reality. I don't think that should be legal either.
Are you creating an equivalency between a Schedule 1 narcotic and a Constitutionally-protected freedom? That seems like an odd argument to make...

I made myself a 3D printer in college. Damn it sounds dangerous to do, I'd guess it'd blow up in my hand and I'd never fire one myself. From my limited knowledge it's more like a single shot usage as after the first round the plastic does crack and it'll no longer hold the blast from the chamber, but it'll work for at least that first shot

Not sure if this "liberator" model is something different and actually holds up. I'll have to check it out (and then check out if it's legal to make one in WI, just to say I have one)

A problem with this analogy is that with one activity, meth, the product itself and its use are illegal. With gun-smithing, the products and their use are not inherently illegal.

While I personally oppose any move to register gun owners, I have no problem at all with guns having a tracking system, having serial numbers, etc. Relatively cheap and easy to dispose of guns could make murder charges that much harder to prove, etc.

Why?

None of my guns are registered . . . and I'm a licensed dealer.

There is no registry at all in PA, all guns are unregistered.

I think a total of 23 reported school shootings in 146 years, starting in the 1870's. Of those 23, I think only one would be considered a mass shooting. Happened in 2006.

A problem with this analogy is that with one activity, meth, the product itself and its use are illegal. With gun-smithing, the products and their use are not inherently illegal.

While I personally oppose any move to register gun owners, I have no problem at all with guns having a tracking system, having serial numbers, etc. Relatively cheap and easy to dispose of guns could make murder charges that much harder to prove, etc.

Define tracking system?

Many states require 80% lowers to become serialized . . .

Building your own firearm is perfectly legal, and serves a useful function.

Your attempt at conflating the perfectly legal act of building your own firearm, with illegal drug use failed.

Checks are fine . . . waiting periods are stupid. Unless your NICs check is delayed folks shouldn't have to wait to exercise a right. If you get a proceed you should be able to walk out of the store with it that second.

You aware that folks can buy 80% receivers without checks now?

Back