Was the Spider that good or was he just lucky...

true_fan

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Not to face good strikers?
Dan nailed him a few times!
Cote nailed him a few times!
Shale nailed him a few times!
Chris nailed a few times and then finished him!
My question is this, just because he dodges a few shots here and there, did that make that good or is it the lack of good strikers? Silva avoided Shogun like the plague and said wouldn’t fight a friend while Rua accepted and then destroyed Machida’s era who “supposedly” got the better of Spider in practice!

Note, Silva was busted for Roids twice now, so we don’t know the times he didn’t get caught!

My question was he really that good when he even lost to Count and couldn’t put Nick away who was WW?

No, he was better. He’s simply the very best fighter we have seen in the UFC. Period. He ran through a who’s who list of PED users so that can’t really be held against him. I had to stop reading after the first line of he never faced good strikers....see Belfort. Also, welcome to MMA TS, I suggest starting with watching his fights.

Silva got pieced up by Chonan prior to the sub

I'm guessing you missed the Vitor fight

He fought a good striker in Chael Sonnen (see my avatar).
He was extremely lucky against Chael both times.

In the 2nd fight he was lucky that the referee didn't take a point from him for grabbing Shael's shorts to punch him and defend takedowns. Ultimately led to the finish. One of the more dirty moves in UFC history.
648016_2.jpg

Last edited:
Improve your knowledge around the 'dodging a few shots here and there' statement by watching the Forrest Griffin fight

Yes, all his MMA records were lucky. A very lucky man, by the way... Huh?!

Let's stop the bullshit, Anderson Silva is the number one GOAT, no one did what he did, period. A genius, plastic standup, lethal. The best.

Improve your knowledge around the 'dodging a few shots here and there' statement by watching the Forrest Griffin fight
I didn’t want to use gifs because there are plenty of him getting clobbered also so I didn’t want to start a war!

it's a fight, you are going to get touched at some point.

yes, he was that good. he just fucked around too much with weidman and got caught.

Yes, all his MMA records were lucky. A very lucky man, by the way... Huh?!

Let's stop the bullshit, Anderson Silva is the number one GOAT, no one did what he did, period. A genius, plastic standup, lethal. The best.
So why did he avoid Rua and couldn’t beat Count when USADA took over?

Real deal, we watched him consistently beat hell out of who ever was the 2nd best MW in he world, for years.

No. Anderson was absolutely incredible. I still rewatch Anderson fights to this day every once and a while. Experiencing his run in its entirety has been my favorite experience as a sports fan in general

Anderson Silva was a feared killer and rightfully so. He didn't just beat people, he hurt them and humiliated them. Just watch the Franklin fights. Ace was a very respected champion too.
Edit: There was nothing lucky about it. This has to be a troll thread.

I expect better from a 2007 account tbh

So why did he avoid Rua and couldn’t beat Count when USADA took over?

He would have beaten Bisping if he did even something in the 4:th round. I guess he protested the ref for not stopping the fight in the end of third after the knee. As for not fighting Rua I think Shogun should have been able to hit 185 lbs for the fight. But he couldnt never make the cut.

By the time Weidman caught him he had slowed down a bit and was relying on the aura that was Anderson Silva more and more. It was right place at right time for the Chris -- and respect but no fear of his opponent. A younger Silva would have blasted through Weidman, Ping, Diaz, and Brunson (I thought he lost all of those fights despite the mixed decisions).

The issue is his defense was so heavily reliant on speed and elusiveness. With age those are the first things to go. And the other big factor was that aura around him. Once that was gone it was easier for other fighters to treat him as just another fighter, albeit who was once the greatest ever.

During his prime he was unstoppable.

...If that was aided by synthetics or not will always be in question because of the failed tests and lack of comprehensive testing back then.

The Griffin fight - he was like something out of the matrix.

Back