Jones vs Gus 1 : The most crucial round was round 2. Who did you give it to ?

Hazuki Ryo

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Ok guys, Jones vs Gus 2 is in 10 days... Can't wait !! I think i watched the first fight 5 or 6 times.

I clearly give the first and third round to Gustafsson, and the fourth round (thanks to the elbow) and fifth round to Jones.

But i still can't decide who won the second ? Jones was being the agressor, very efficient with his kicks, and landed a few elbows. Gus was outboxing him and stuffed one of his takedowns...

If this round is a draw then the fight should have been a draw ;)

Draw. Jones threw enough them flibidy flobidy wet noodle low kicks he uses to steal rounds.

UANKONv.png

i rewatched it on youtube and had it 3-2 gus still. i had round 2 to gus

rewatching it reminds me of how rose vs joanna 2 was punches and head strikes vs a kicking game. granted joanna outlanded rose by like 50 strikes if i remember

if gus hadn't retreated in the 4th and then in the 5th he put his hands by his waist and was animating that he was exhausted, i think those things costed him the fight. this time around he needs to lay it all on the line. this is his 3rd and prob final title shot. no excuses

I don't remember the rounds but Gus clearly won 2, Jones clearly won 2. Round 4 Gus was slightly ahead up until Jones landed the elbow which stole him the round. To my knowledge that is the round that has been debated and that determined the winner of that fight.

i rewatched it on youtube and had it 3-2 gus still. i had round 2 to gus

rewatching it reminds me of how rose vs joanna 2 was punches and head strikes vs a kicking game. granted joanna outlanded rose by like 50 strikes if i remember

if gus hadn't retreated in the 4th and then in the 5th he put his hands by his waist and was animating that he was exhausted, i think those things costed him the fight. this time around he needs to lay it all on the line. this is his 3rd and prob final title shot. no excuses

Gus was still more active in round 5. He threw more strikes.

Being tired isn't a scoring criteria.

Gus clearly lost round 4. Anyone that says otherwise is on bath salts.

Imagine thet 2/3 judges scored the third round of DC vs Gus to DC, despite Gus’ knockdown and almost finish then.

I don’t argue that Gus won the 4th but he was lighting Jones up until that flush elbow

Time stamped for right before 2nd round. Jones already looking like "Damn, shouldn't have been out doing blow all night last night.".

Gus was still more active in round 5. He threw more strikes.

Being tired isn't a scoring criteria.
nah i thought he lost 5. 2 minutes in hes retreating and is exhausted. jones pushed forward and landed.

i had gus winning rounds 1 2 and 3 and 4 he was lighting jones up until the elbow so round 4 is borderline as well. round 5 i had jon tho for sure

Never done this before. Used 0.50 speed in YT and saw that both guys missed big time in that round.

Most significant moments:

gus takedown with a trip
gus left jab
jones leg kick
jones left elbow
gus left hook
jones left high kick
jones spinning body kick
gus counter left hand
gus low kick
jones front kick to the leg
gus straight right hand
jones inside leg kick
gus inside leg kick

Close round. You can make the case for giving it to both guys. Judging is subjective after all. You have the right to say it's Gus because he landed one significant strike more. But you can also say Jones because landed strikes were almost even and Jones had more octagon control.

Maybe Jones won 3 rounds, but he also should've been deducted 2 points for eyepoking.

Draw. Jones threw enough them flibidy flobidy wet noodle low kicks he uses to steal rounds.

I agree this fight should have been a draw.

The funny thing is that Jones fans can't even accept that. They refuse to budge from the narrative that Jones "dominated Gus 4-1".

Back