(Speculation) GSP vs. Silva in the works?

SaintSoldier

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Anderson has been taking a lot of shots at him recently; could this all be a set up for THE super-fight? This would be a huge fight even in 2019.

Yeah because Silva isn't fighting in February at all

If Anderson gets his belt back, i can see it happening.

Not atm though

"You know how many times we wanted to do the GSP-Anderson Silva fight? GSP would not do it. Would not do it." - Dana White in 2016

No. GSP couldn't fight him at their peaks because he didn't want to bulk up to 185 then come back down which is why he recently went up to 185 and has been discussing going down to 155. GSP doesn't want to fight him meow because he's on a skid. If Anderson wins a couple fights GSP will unfortunately be fighting at '55 or '70 so he probably won't want to bulk up. Theoretically there are circumstances he'll fight Anderson at, he just hasn't disclosed what those are

Anderson has a fight and GSP has lost a ton of weight likely due to his colitis/wanting to maybe try the Khabib fight.

Gsp will never fight Silva, he's too scared to even fight a 43 year old past prime Silva. Sad!

Now that Silva is past his prime, sure. (Thanks GSP)

A chance at the LW strap and third title is way more appealing to GSP than him making sure that Anderson gets paid handsomely is.

Anderson has been taking a lot of shots at him recently; could this all be a set up for THE super-fight? This would be a huge fight even in 2019.
I think Silva is trying.
But he has Adesanya ahead of him, and should he win, he gets a title shot.
And Dana would probably not allow GSP to fight ANYONE for the MW belt ever again.

But then again, if Silva loses... what's the point? It is not worth it for GSP.

And GSP would not want to fight a winning SIlva. And a Losing Silva makes no sense for him (and I tend to agree with him).

WIth the above said though, I would love to see this fight, but it is much like Tito & Chuck. Far too late for what it could have been, but better late than never :)

I've been listening to GSP for months and have read between the lines. He will not be fighting Anderson. Conor, Khabib interest him at LW, He's also seemed interested in a Nick Diaz rematch or fighting Askren. Didn't rule out Woodley either but felt his stock wasn't high enough. He won't fight past the age of 40 which gives us a window ending in late 2021 of him fighting. Lots of race track left.

St Pierre only wants belts and Silva doesn't have one... so nope. Plus. This isn't 2010.

GSP had a plan of not playing yo-yo with his weight when he was at his peak, so now that he's not at his peak, he doesn't have to worry about the remainder of his career, hence why he's now playing yo-yo with his weight.
Anderson Silva and his crazy knees should focus on the guy he always avoided : Jon Bones Jones and his crazy elbows. I would have paid big bucks for this fight in their prime.

Anderson is also calling out Manlet Conor McGregor to get fat and fight him at 180.

Back