GSP's wrestling vs Khabib's wrestling

Dr John Smith

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
How do you compare and contrast their respective wrestling styles? What do they do similarly, what do they do differently, what does one do better than the other?

GSP has a way better power double, literally launches across half the octagon whereas Khabib will use trips more while clinching. GSP's leg attacks looks like traditional folk style wrestling.

Khabib will chain together attempts while Rush will often try one-offs and go back to striking momentarily if he fails.

GSP is more freestyle guy with his shots, while Khabib likes to use his legs for offence, too (sweeps).

They actually both come from free style roots.They both ascertained that MMA wrestling is a different animal. Unlike Gsp, khabib has been wrestling most of his life and from what I understand, Dagestan is like an ultra hot spot for producing fucking animals in this area (read it somewhere).He also has sambo roots.His trips, sweeps and overall wrestling is quite scary.GSP gets all the credit he deserves as he basically selfmade himself into maybe the best MMA wrestler we've seen (with ,of course ,the help with the people around him)

I'd love to see these two fight at 165

or what ever weght they can agree to

GSP's entries are so much better than Khabib's.

Khabib is better from the clinch.

I'd love to see these two fight at 165

or what ever weght they can agree to
I think GSP would want to fight him at 155 to possibly become the champ champ champ, but the purple goof has said that he won't just give GSP an immediate title shot. The whole Khabib-GSP fight situation is uncertain.

GSP always says he wants fights to add to his legacy. Well, a fight with Khabib would be just that for him! I don't know if GSP can make 155, but if he can that would be a huge fight, and one he could possibly win. I am assuming he would be the bigger fighter, and his wrestling should allow him to keep it on the feet where he has the advantage. GSP by unanimous decision.

GSP

74% takedowns success
84% taledowns defense

most takedowns in UFC history with 90

(even more impressive when he fought a lots of top notch wrestler)

Last edited:
GSP lets the opponent do the work and Khabib forces the action. GSP's jab/TDD forced his opponent to eventually start swinging (think Josh Koscheck). When they'd over-commit, he'd shoot under their strikes. His timing was second to none. Khabib does just enough to be competitive on the feet until he can close distance. From there, he has a variety of setups. He just chain wrestles until the opponent gets lost in his attacks. Both are really effective. GSP is more of a product of good timing and Khabib is just a technician that if given enough time, can overwhelm anyone in the world in the grappling department. Just my opinion.

GSP has good set-up. Khabib can shoot from 10feet away and still get people down.

khabib fights like his life depends on the takedown. reminds me of panic wrestling, all or nothing.

gsp sets up his takedowns with a good striking game,

kabob is opposite, uses his wrestling to open up the striking game

Khabib's wrestling is bred together with Sambo/Judo.

GSP is king of chutebox. Khabib not so much.

GSP’s takedowns were more explosive and exciting to watch. Khabib still gets the guy down and does more damage.

My friend (legit welterweight, 90+ kilos) sparred GSP in the Tristar earlier this year. His words were: "GSP is so fucking strong."

GSP manhandles Khabib easily.

Simple:
GSP uses his striking to set up his takedowns.
Khabib uses his takedowns to set up his striking.

They are literally polar opposites.

GSP is a level change power double guy.
Khabib is a chain wrestling single leg/trips guy.

My friend (legit welterweight, 90+ kilos) sparred GSP in the Tristar earlier this year. His words were: "GSP is so fucking strong."

GSP manhandles Khabib easily.
Most guys that have fought or sparred with GSP say he is otherworldly strong

Back