Calling all Irish Sherbros, is Conor McGregor really liked that much in Ireland?

VenomCarnage

R.I.P. FRANKIENYC
@Brown
Reaction score
I recently went to Dublin on a 4 day business trip, and during this trip I got into conversations with several locals about the "Notorious One".

I must say that I was surprised with the amount of people that I spoke to who had negative things to say about the man and his character. I personally have always disliked Conor and I typically find any excuse to get behind an Irish athlete or team but I just couldn't with Conor. I've also found that the vast majority of fellow MMA fans my age, in my immediate circle also dislike him.

A narrative that is very much pushed by MMA media is that Conor is a hero in Ireland, a Celtic warrior who has put Ireland on the sporting map. The likes of Ariel Helwani will have you believe that he's akin to Manny Pacquiao to the people of the Philippines, a national treasure if you will.

So rather than draw my opinion from just my immediate friends and family, I thought I'd use my presence in Dublin to ask some of the locals what they thought about Conor. Is he a hero around this city, is he worshiped, is he indeed a man of the people who walks around the every-man's pub with a smile taking pictures like some portray?

In total I asked 4 people about him, 3 were male and 1 was female. All 4 of them had exclusively negative things to say about him, they consisted of some of the below:
  • "an arrogant asshole"
  • Described him as being a guy who hasn't given back to his community, a man who has made millions but not given anything back by way of charity, donating to local establishments and such.

• I asked if the rumors about him being affiliated with gangsters was true, they went as far as to say that he hangs around with the Kinahan gang and is often seen partying with them in Dublin.

• They mentioned his current driving ban and his many speeding infringements. They said that "if it was a regular joe you'd be locked up by now, or heavily fined."

• "A wannabe gangster who is always out with the shady sorts in the pubs and clubs of Dublin."
  • "Always throwing his cash around and screaming his nut off."
  • "I hate my children and nephews watching him because he's a bad example for young people."
  • "He's most definitely on coke"

• I was told a story about his father Tony McGregor. Supposedly he posted a tweet that he was annoyed that a Dublin train ticket dispenser gave him coins back as the coins dirty the pockets of his suit - summed up his father as a dick and said that "money has gone to their heads".
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quite frankly, this is a small subset of people that I've personally spoken to, hence why I would like to extend the question to our fellow Sherbros of any Irish heritage. What are your opinions on Conor McGregor, his behaviour, his character, his values etc. Is he indeed a national hero like the MMA media paints him to be?

Please share your thoughts.

My thoughts are this is a pathetic thread.

My thoughts are this is a pathetic thread.
Asking natives of a small country whether a controversial figure is a national hero like his sport media portrays?

I see nothing wrong with that question in the least, especially seeming as I provided my own experiences to convey what my overall opinion on the matter is.

It's cool though, I'm sure you could spend some time on a "who would win between prime Bob Sapp and Bobby Lashley" thread, that would be more insightful.

Only the poor stupid people like Conor, everyone else sees him for what he is.

you don't see the issue with that sentence buddy?
;)

Presumably TS wasnt in ireland to conduct an exhaustive study. However, 4/4 people he spoke with there didnt like him.

If edson barboza beat the shit out of dan hooker 4 times, would they book the fight a 5th time or would the issue be considered resolved?

you don't see the issue with that sentence buddy?
;)
Well, I'm not a journalist dude, I wasn't in the country to exclusively ask about Conor, I wasn't walking around the city with a microphone in my hand. I also didn't want to be the weird cage fighting guy who is asking everyone at work what they thought about one athlete, it would seem a little odd, no?

I asked a random 4 people, they were all unrelated in terms of knowing each other. Taxi drivers, colleagues, bar tenders, I didn't hear one good thing about the guy. Also, pretty sure we have hundreds of Irish on here, hence why I made the thread so we could get a wider sample size of opinions.

I think it often depends on their age. The younger Irish people I have met tend to be huge fans, while the older ones tend to find him embarrassing.

Quite frankly, this is a small subset of people that I've personally spoken to, hence why I would like to extend the question to our fellow Sherbros of any Irish heritage.

How would people of any Irish heritage know how much he is liked in Ireland?

Presumably TS wasnt in ireland to conduct an exhaustive study. However, 4/4 people he spoke with there didnt like him.

If edson barboza beat the shit out of dan hooker 4 times, would they book the fight a 5th time or would the issue be considered resolved?
I'm genuinely in shock at your levels of logic.

I really cannot believe that I found a person who could read a few paragraphs of text and actually interpret them correctly without being an troll or someone who just alters the intention of the thread.

You're a rare breed sir.

I recently went to Dublin on a 4 day business trip, and during this trip I got into conversations with several locals about the "Notorious One".

I must say that I was surprised with the amount of people that I spoke to who had negative things to say about the man and his character. I personally have always disliked Conor and I typically find any excuse to get behind an Irish athlete or team but I just couldn't with Conor. I've also found that the vast majority of fellow MMA fans my age, in my immediate circle also dislike him.

A narrative that is very much pushed by MMA media is that Conor is a hero in Ireland, a Celtic warrior who has put Ireland on the sporting map. The likes of Ariel Helwani will have you believe that he's akin to Manny Pacquiao to the people of the Philippines, a national treasure if you will.

So rather than draw my opinion from just my immediate friends and family, I thought I'd use my presence in Dublin to ask some of the locals what they thought about Conor. Is he a hero around this city, is he worshiped, is he indeed a man of the people who walks around the every-man's pub with a smile taking pictures like some portray?

In total I asked 4 people about him, 3 were male and 1 was female. All 4 of them had exclusively negative things to say about him, they consisted of some of the below:
  • "an arrogant asshole"
  • Described him as being a guy who hasn't given back to his community, a man who has made millions but not given anything back by way of charity, donating to local establishments and such.

• I asked if the rumors about him being affiliated with gangsters was true, they went as far as to say that he hangs around with the Kinahan gang and is often seen partying with them in Dublin.

• They mentioned his current driving ban and his many speeding infringements. They said that "if it was a regular joe you'd be locked up by now, or heavily fined."

• "A wannabe gangster who is always out with the shady sorts in the pubs and clubs of Dublin."
  • "Always throwing his cash around and screaming his nut off."
  • "I hate my children and nephews watching him because he's a bad example for young people."
  • "He's most definitely on coke"

• I was told a story about his father Tony McGregor. Supposedly he posted a tweet that he was annoyed that a Dublin train ticket dispenser gave him coins back as the coins dirty the pockets of his suit - summed up his father as a dick and said that "money has gone to their heads".
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quite frankly, this is a small subset of people that I've personally spoken to, hence why I would like to extend the question to our fellow Sherbros of any Irish heritage. What are your opinions on Conor McGregor, his behaviour, his character, his values etc. Is he indeed a national hero like the MMA media paints him to be?

Please share your thoughts.
For every fan of his there's 5 people who think hes a c#nt and a further ten people who simply don't care less about him.

How would people of any Irish heritage know how much he is liked in Ireland?
Well I'm English right? I was born in England, lived here my entire life.

With that said, I have an entire family made up of Irish natives, many still live in Ireland or lived there the vast majority of their life. Due to these factors I believe that they are more than qualified to share an opinion on whether he's liked much in that nation.

There are a few traitors but nearly every man, woman and child of Ireland would die for Conor. We are so grateful to what he has done for our country.

Well, I'm not a journalist dude, I wasn't in the country to exclusively ask about Conor, I wasn't walking around the city with a microphone in my hand. I also didn't want to be the weird cage fighting guy who is asking everyone at work what they thought about one athlete, it would seem a little odd, no?

I asked a random 4 people, they were all unrelated in terms of knowing each other. Taxi drivers, colleagues, bar tenders, I didn't hear one good thing about the guy. Also, pretty sure we have hundreds of Irish on here, hence why I made the thread so we could get a wider sample size of opinions.

Nobody asked you to go to Ireland & survey anybody about anything lol

but starting a thread bc you spoke to one person a day on a 4 day trip about Conor is a bit weird ;)

Also you can be the biggest sports star in a country and not be everyone's "hero".
As time goes by someone as brash as Conor will be less of a role model, but still extremely popular.

Conor is obviously still hugely popular in Ireland
Look at the MayMac PPV record numbers in Ireland & how many fly from Ireland every time he fights (to US)

I'm genuinely in shock at your levels of logic.

I really cannot believe that I found a person who could read a few paragraphs of text and actually interpret them correctly without being an troll or someone who just alters the intention of the thread.

You're a rare breed sir.

Lol

Back