Kevin Lee, proof rematches are not worth it?

Moral Victory

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
A rematch and chance at avenging a loss is probably worth a lot as far as ego is concerned, but are non-fluke losses (aka the opposite of Mousasi/Hall) something fighters should just avoid and move on from?

To some degree there's a rock, paper, scissors element to MMA, no matter how good you are against every other fighter, there might always be one that will always have your number.

So perhaps it is better to just move on and accept the losses,
unless you're Cro Cop
undefeated in rematches ( ͡° ل͜ ͡°)
cro_cop_gonzaga_5.jpg

Yeah chuck shouldn't have rematched Randy?

Or Randy rematched Vitor?

This is not a logical conclusion from Saturdays main event,too many variables.

If a third fight is booked. Kevin would be favorite again. I dont like him. But he is the more talented fighter

That's just being a Monday morning quarterback. Kevin, supposedly , had every advantage going in to avenge loss.
He had evolved a great deal and even Vegas confirmed it as they opened him up a significant 3-1 favorite.

This is MMA.... shit happens. Al, apparently, has continued to evolve.

I would say move on especially when you are ranked higher then the fighter that beat you once before.

So if someone loses a close fight or has clearly improved over time they still shouldn't rematch the opponent they lost to?

{<huh}

Kevins plan all along was to beat Khabibs opponents worse than him so as to make himself look much better. His plan backfired massively.

There are certainly times rankings/momentum-wise where rematches make sense.

IMO, the fact that it is a rematch shouldn't be either a negative or positive force for match making outside of maybe third fight title fights, clearly incorrect decisions, and draws.

Might not have been the smartest fight for Lee, fighting somebody ranked lower after an impressive performance against Barboza. However if he smashed Iaquinta it would have made a statement. This rematch made sense. Now Chuck vs Tito 3... That was just retarded on Chuck's part. Why rematch a dude you've already ko'd twice after getting ko'd 3 times in a row followed by 8 years of inactivity? Not to mention he was almost 50.

If a third fight is booked. Kevin would be favorite again. I dont like him. But he is the more talented fighter
If kevin would be the favorite again, I would make money again

I don’t have a problem with rematches per se, but I don’t like immediate rematches. Too often, we end up with a situation like in women’s straw weight. Jedrzejczyk seems like she can beat everyone in the division except the champion. If Namajunas keeps winning, where does that leave Joanna?

A rematch and chance at avenging a loss is probably worth a lot as far as ego is concerned, but are non-fluke losses (aka the opposite of Mousasi/Hall) something fighters should just avoid and move on from?

To some degree there's a rock, paper, scissors element to MMA, no matter how good you are against every other fighter, there might always be one that will always have your number.

So perhaps it is better to just move on and accept the losses,
unless you're Cro Cop
undefeated in rematches ( ͡° ل͜ ͡°)
cro_cop_gonzaga_5.jpg

Miller/Oliviera 2 was on the same card

If you want to be in future GOAT discussions, it's good to win all your rematches a la GSP. But obviously you risk losing both instead.

I think Lee is going through a weird phase where he doesn't have proper coaching. He probably needs to relocate because this whole Dewey and self directing mma camp isn't working for him.

I don't see the big problem with rematches to be honest.

oliveira was subbed in 2 minutes by jim miller in their first fight, then subbed him in like 1 minute when they rematched. and it was on the same card as the fight you're talking about

Back