How come Fedor never made it to the UFC

ImLovinIt

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Dana could never negotiate a way to get Fedor to the UFC. Why is that? Can't be money. You can't tell me Bellator or those other smaller organizations were able to pay Fedor more money.

Dana could never negotiate a way to get Fedor to the UFC. Why is that? Can't be money. You can't tell me Bellator or those other smaller organizations were able to pay Fedor more money.
It was money and the shitty contract that took Fedor's freedom. He wouldn't even be allowed to enter Sambo tournaments FFS. Dana being a tool was also a major factor.

Last edited:
Fedor's a real man and wouldn't bend over for a bald pansy like Dana, to paraphrase the great Don Frye.

It is not money.
Fedor was negotiating with Dana, and Dana used dirty tactics (i.e. pressuring him through the press, lying about what they were offering him so public opinion would turn against Fedor, etc)..
Fedor did not like it.
But the two biggest issue:
exclusivity. Fedor like to participate in Sambo competition. He would not be able to.
Co-Promotion: Fedor is part-owner of M-1 promotion, and wanted to push for a deal that would involve them on UFC cards. UFC (rightfully so) did not agree.

While they negotiated, Fedor got the offer by StrikeForce (who had better HW division and the tourney), so Fedor went that way instead.

Fedor refused the UFC contract which was equivalent to slavery. When a fighter signs a UFC contract the UFC owns them.

Imo I think he just knew he'd lose badly. When he finally came over to America and faced some tougher competition he lost 3 in a row.

It came down to the contract ultimately. UFC owns your fights, likeness, controls your sponsors and the contract you sign is indefinite but they can cut you at anytime. Bellator gives him freedom to do what he wants.

M-1 wanted a 1 fight contract for the title. UFC wouldn't budge on that. Years later, Lorenzo negotiated personally with Fedor and they came up with a deal. Fedor's dad ended up dying and decided to retire.

If Fedor wins the Bellator title, I could see WME making one last play for him and try to do DC/Fedor next year. Unlike Zuffa, WME would likely be willing to do the 1 fight deal.

In after people still butthurt about something Fedor fans said 10 years ago <Lmaoo>

Only a pronounced ufc shill wouldn't be able to tell you why.
Ever noticed how Dana will throw a fighter under a bus in a heartbeat. Can you imagine that happening to Fedor. Dana, et all, are the Don King of mma. They shite on fighters and fighers' careers.

It is not money.
Fedor was negotiating with Dana, and Dana used dirty tactics (i.e. pressuring him through the press, lying about what they were offering him so public opinion would turn against Fedor, etc)..
Fedor did not like it.
But the two biggest issue:
exclusivity. Fedor like to participate in Sambo competition. He would not be able to.
Co-Promotion: Fedor is part-owner of M-1 promotion, and wanted to push for a deal that would involve them on UFC cards. UFC (rightfully so) did not agree.

While they negotiated, Fedor got the offer by StrikeForce (who had better HW division and the tourney), so Fedor went that way instead.
Yes I remember the M-1 and Strikeforce time. But after Strikeforce, Fedor still fought with small organizations and now Bellator. The money has got to be considerably worse.

Then again, it's not always about the money, so what is it? The sambo? He hates Dana?

Yes I remember the M-1 and Strikeforce time. But after Strikeforce, Fedor still fought with small organizations and now Bellator. The money has got to be considerably worse.

Then again, it's not always about the money, so what is it? The sambo? He hates Dana?
He does not care for money.
From what I know, he donates most of it (he is very religious)..

After SF, UFC didn't force the issue, as he was not unbeaten anymore.
Then he fought locally and retired.

Now that he is back, he went straight to Bellator, and I think it was because of Scott Coker (who was at SF at the time).

M1 couldn't draw flies to a garbage dump. How did the co-promotion with Affliction turn out?

Because DW and the UFC are scumbags and Fedor never needed them. Most of these young guys that sign over their lives to the UFC, it’s because they need the UFC to make money and build their name. But Fedor didn’t need shit from the UFC. He knew the UFC were scumbags. They still are to this day. There’s just no respect for the fighters.

giphy.gif

Imo I think he just knew he'd lose badly. When he finally came over to America and faced some tougher competition he lost 3 in a row.

Fedor actually won 3 in a row.

Basically UFC offered a really shitty contract to Fedor. He talks about it in somewhere middle of this interview.

He would have fought in his youth, no doubt.

But by the end of Pride he had enough money for his fancy sweaters to bother with it.

I doubt UFC really wanted him, Fedor's PPV numbers in US were terrible.

Back