Adesanya's TDD is superb. So who is his trainer for wrestling/grappling? This guy:

AimedWithV

Double Yellow Card
@Silver
Reaction score
Andre.jpg

Yep. Not a wrestler, but an elite BJJ practician and former mixed martial artist, Andre Galvao.

In MMA Galvao was a WW. And actually struggled with wrestlers.
He had two losses - first he was denied takedowns and outstruck by Jason High in Japan;
then he , again, got all takedowns stopped and brutally knocked out by Tyron Woodley in Strikeforce.

Then he stopped MMA, got back to BJJ and became a LEGEND:
upload_2018-12-17_13-27-49.png
upload_2018-12-17_13-28-13.png

That's it, just wanted to share it with you guys.

I found it curious.

I feel like the TDD game is pretty much like chess. There's a lot of directions you can go depending on your opponent and more importantly it is a solved game. He attacks that leg, you counter that way, he chains together that, you counter this way etc. I feel like positions, especially up against the fence, you have your fundamental go-to techniques because a lot is just working leverages.

It's not a solved game in the literal sense tho because new techniques can always emerge that nobody ever thought about etc, but I thought it was a decent comparison.

Isn't Adesanya training in New-Zealand? How important is Galvao in his daily training?

The main takeaway here is how great Woodley is. I swear there isn't a Brazillian fighter without at least a few ADCC and championship medals.

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel like the TDD game is pretty much like chess. There's a lot of directions you can go depending on your opponent and more importantly it is a solved game. He attacks that leg, you counter that way, he chains together that, you counter this way etc. I feel like positions, especially up against the fence, you have your fundamental go-to techniques because a lot is just working leverages.

It's not a solved game in the literal sense tho because new techniques can always emerge that nobody ever thought about etc, but I thought it was a decent comparison.

From what I understood from one Woodley quote (and also what I saw in different fights) chain wrestler is like a tank.
He's relentless and he WILL get you down if you don't hurt him.

But overall, well - what you describe is pretty much a definition of a wrestling, isn't it.
THIS is wrestling. Not working in the guard or passing it, but indeed, positions.

That's why I find it cool that it's a grappler who teaches Adesanya that. A grappler who can work in the guard as well, a grappler who doesn't even need to have a top control as a main weapon.

But chess is not a solved game...

Isn't Adesanya training in New-Zealand? How important is Galvao in his daily training?

I dunno honestly. But he mentioned numerous times that he applies his lessons.

The main takeaway here is how great Woodley is. I swear there isn't a Brazillian fighter without at least a few ADCC and championship medals.

No no, Galvao is legit real deal.
I agree with you, BJJ medals can be misleading. Some maye get bronze by just participaring, and not really be or fight elite.

But Galvao is badass. He submitted heavy and talented guys. For real. His competition in BJJ was badass as well.

Plus, stopping a bum is not a definition of greatness. Woodley is great because he stopped a great one, too :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Respect fam.

2019 we taking over, starting with the brutal destruction of Silva! :D

I honestly doubt brutal destruction is what we'll get.

Silva will come for the paycheck, will not risk his health and won't engage.
Adesanya will have to chase him , attack his defense. He will win by points, but not more than that

His wrestling trainer isn't Galvao, it's a Romanian guy that is in NZ with him full time.

He spoke about it in the JRE, said he was the reason his grappling defense was so good.

His wrestling trainer isn't Galvao, it's a Romanian guy that is in NZ with him full time.

He spoke about it in the JRE, said he was the reason his grappling defense was so good.

Interesting. Will try to dig the name

Andrei Paulet.

Romanian Olympic wrestler, coached Hooker too.

Interesting.
When did he participated in Olympics? I only found him in local Australian/Oceanian events.

Also I see he tried MMA but retired.

So he's full time MMA coach now?
Cool, 30 year old coach is relatively young, and he IS successful, training top 10 MW and top 30 LW is a success, no matter how you spin it.

Any other guys in his team to keep an eye on?

Interesting.
When did he participated in Olympics? I only found him in local Australian/Oceanian events.

Also I see he tried MMA but retired.

So he's full time MMA coach now?
Cool, 30 year old coach is relatively young, and he IS successful, training top 10 MW and top 30 LW is a success, no matter how you spin it.

Any other guys in his team to keep an eye on?

Man, I don't know.

He wasn't an Olympian as a senior, I'm saying "Olympic wrestling" just because I'm a bit confused about the nomenclature in US.
He immigrated as a junior in NZ and wrestled in Commonwealth games. Not an important name in wrestling, no.

I have no contact with the MMA scene in NZ, I can't tell you anything more than that he coached Israel and Hooker.

The thing that impresses me most about his takedown defense is how he sometimes uses guys takedown attempts against then . Sometimes he will use the guys momentum against them to take them down himself or to take their back.

Man, I don't know.

He wasn't an Olympian as a senior, I'm saying "Olympic wrestling" just because I'm a bit confused about the nomenclature in US.
He immigrated as a junior in NZ and wrestled in Commonwealth games. Not an important name in wrestling, no.

I have no contact with the MMA scene in NZ, I can't tell you anything more than that he coached Israel and Hooker.

I checked later on.
Kai Kara France is in their team too!

Back