Kevin Lee talks move to 170

0-1

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
How does he do at 170? Does the weigtht cut have an effect on him? sHe say's in this interview he takes a lot of muscle off for 155, wonder how he would look at 170...

I wonder how it would affect his chin, without killing himself to make the cut. He's extremely strong at LW. But he might be undersized at WW.

lol 170 is a fucking nightmare for him. Everyone can wrestle better and his striking will look even worse when he's getting hit by guys 15 lbs bigger.

How does he do at 170? Does the weigtht cut have an effect on him? sHe say's in this interview he takes a lot of muscle off for 155, wonder how he would look at 170...

It's nice seeing the purple goof acknowledge Al's skill. Let's hope both of them have managed to bury the hatchet and that Al gets paid what he deserves from now on.

It only took another humbling to realize that killing himself won't make him a Champion at a lower weight class, but I do agree with @Arm Barbarian, dude's been campaigning for 165 for a reason, to big for 155, and to small for 170.

At this point, why not run back the Chiesa fight at 170, depending on how Chiesa does against Condit.

He'd fit right in the 165 division.
170 has people that would defend his takedowns, like Woodley and Wonderboy
people that would make him gas due to pace, like Colby and Usman
And people who would just outgrapple him like Demian and Gunni

He's too small for 170. How the fuck's this kid gonna last against guys like Usman and Woodley? Those guys cut from 200+, Lee would get overpowered.

165 is much needed.

I think he'd have a tough time at 170. Not that I don't think he could fight well at that weight, but a lot of the top guys there are great wrestlers and would be tough match-ups.

His cardio would probably improve. But then again, having to wrestle with those big guys might gas him out just as fast.

He needs to work on his boxing offense and defense if he wants to make it to the next level—at 155 or at 170.

I didn’t realize how bad his handspeed was until last night.

Not explosive.

I don't like him at 170 in terms of fight selection. That division has a few really good wrestlers at the top in Woodley, Usman, Askren and Colby who are bigger , better strikers (Askren aside) and negate any offense that Lee would bring to them. The division also has guys like Ponzi, Lawler, and Wonderboy who are very good strikers and can stop the takedown. I don't think Lee's style works well vs either group. At LW he can use his size and the style match ups are better for him.

It's nice seeing the purple goof acknowledge Al's skill. Let's hope both of them have managed to bury the hatchet and that Al gets paid what he deserves from now on.
Dana is pretty forgiving when you win so i think they'll be alright given Al's performances against Khabib and Lee

He's still one of the best wrestlers at 155 and still only 26 years old.
Don't know why he didn't went for a TD in the first round....we would talk about a draw or a split decision for Lee.

Not the end of the World.

The good thing is his chin looked decent

He needs to stfu and train harder, with more variety and a new found focus being given to his striking game and masking his takedowns and intentions in general with jabs and 1-2s,

instead of this weird thing him and other fighters do where they think having no rhythm or tempo means you can throw kicks without a set up like you're fighting some average joe.

He waste his cardio in Barboza like fashion, going for kill shots he ain't gonna land yet because he didn't set them up properly and has way more terrible Jiu Jitsu than he realizes.

He really needs to show the striking game and the transition game to and from striking and grappling, waaaaayyyy more respect, and jiu-jitsu too. He needs to train better, he does not train right. He thinks he's top 5 when in reality he's top 10 at best and should probably be in Top 15 if it weren't for how old some of these fighters in this division are, and seem to be. Lightweight is stacked but definitely needs some new blood considering Ragin Al, Lee, Chiesa, Barboza, a past-prime Anthony Pettis are all fighting to be in the Top 5.

Once they clean up their technique, they'll have crisp respectable boxing making way for their kicks, knees, elbows, clinch, takedowns, club and sub attempts, and actually not look out of place being so highly ranked.

Last edited:
There are too many weight classes already. Adding 165 with 170 still there is absurd.

Back