Barboza vs Iaquinta

Uncommon Valor

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
How would you feel if this fight made next? Who would you have winning?

Iaquinta UD by mix it up with takedowns.
Barboza has pretty good TDD against people who are not strong grapplers . Al has good wrestling but his wrestling offense isnt that great to really cause major problems to Edson but yeah it will help him due to making Barboza think about takedowns.
Anyways Gaethje vs Iaquinta , Barboza vs Conor are the fights to make

Iaquinta, his cardio is too good, along with his forward pressure and wrestling could present problems for Barboza.

Barboza kinda gassed. But LW div is that good that any match is great. I think Al Can take on Conor though

Guys calm down barboza won against a ranked 14 guy and didnt even Win all rounds.before that he got totally toyed with by Kevin lee

AL should be in a #1 contender fight against Poirier.
Gaethje/Barboza
Conor/Diaz
Lee/Pettis

I think AL would make it an ugly fight for barboza though if they did fight.

Eh barboza seems like a bad match up stylistically for Al.
Barbozas stand up would wear down Al after a while. Al’s grappling isnt strong enough to threaten barboza. Barboza is also the bigger guy.

Eh barboza seems like a bad match up stylistically for Al.
Barbozas stand up would wear down Al after a while. Al’s grappling isnt strong enough to threaten barboza. Barboza is also the bigger guy.
Al had hands, a chin, and conditioning. Barboza doesn't

Al's chin would give him the edge.

Al would have a good chance I think, better cardio, better boxing and apply some pressure which all things Barboza does badly against

Picking Iaquinta. His style is already walk him-down-and-knock-him-out, so it won't need major changes for this match-up. He has the jab to push Barb backwards and this will take away his kicking range for the most part. Barboza is a panic counter-puncher, which means he does not even look at the target, he just swings wild hooks to scare you off when his is against the fence or outside the black lines.

Barb is not easy for anybody, even Khabib had to be very careful the whole fight. But I think Al doesn't need the whole 3 or 5 rounds to win here, so he don't need to be overwhelming machine of offence all the time just to tame the animal of Barboza. He has to find his chin with some of these pinpoint right hands and finish him. Not an easy task, has to be extremely careful and with very good gameplan, but he should be able to win.

I think Al should get a higher ranked guy than Barboza in his next fight and Barboza should get someone in the 6-10 range in terms of ranking since he lost 2 in a row badly prior to his last win.

Having said that I think it's a close match up but I think Al would win as I think he could keep the pressure on Barboza and take away the range he needs to be at his best. It wouldn't be easy though and Barboza is one spinning kick away from winning any fight.

Al just beat the guy who ragdolled Barboza in Barboza's last fight. why make it?

I think Al takes this 9/10 times.

Forward pressure, closes the gap well to take out the threat of the kicks.

Al also has decent fight iq and can gut it out.

Back