Iaquinta's Head Movement

jmmj

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Bisping was right about how excellent it was.

You don't usually see head movement that good in the UFC. For one, just bobbing your head around and moving it from side to side can be mistaken for "head movement," but, no. And then, you see guys using head movement as part of their strategy for controlling distance, but it's rare you see such great head movement to allow a guy to fight in the pocket. Lee's punches were, indeed, too wide, but man, Al was moving well in the pocket. That subtle head movement that keeps your head always just a little off the line and hard to find - Al moved so well tonight. His head was not where Lee expected it to be most of the time. Great performance.

Yea he had a lot of good slips
He can weather the stuff he doesn't slip too
I wish he'd throw more combos, but then again maybe its better he sticks to singles

I noticed that too, he was slipping just about everything that came in straight.

Yea he had a lot of good slips
He can weather the stuff he doesn't slip too
I wish he'd throw more combos, but then again maybe its better he sticks to singles

I mean, not a lot of 3 and 4 but some really excellent one twos.

i was impressed by the whole striking package really, he was a sniper tonite. when he threw he landed for the most part, and managed to stay out of danger almost the whole time.

AI mentioned in the build up that Lee is stiff and he could see every punch coming in the first fight.

You don't usually see head movement that good in the UFC. For one, just bobbing your head around and moving it from side to side can be mistaken for "head movement," but, no. And then, you see guys using head movement as part of their strategy for controlling distance, but it's rare you see such great head movement to allow a guy to fight in the pocket. Lee's punches were, indeed, too wide, but man, Al was moving well in the pocket. That subtle head movement that keeps your head always just a little off the line and hard to find - Al moved so well tonight. His head was not where Lee expected it to be most of the time. Great performance.
I noticed, and was impressed, with this as well.

Matt said before the fight this was Al’s best camp ever

We are in the Motivated Al Era

i was impressed by the whole striking package really, he was a sniper tonite. when he threw he landed for the most part, and managed to stay out of danger almost the whole time.

I was impressed with everything. So much composure when Lee had his back, fighting off takedowns, staying on his feet even when Lee had slight positional advantages, the whole thing. And yeah, that was some of the tighter boxing I've seen in the UFC. Really well schooled hands. Great example of how a tight boxing game can defeat flashier striking. Although don't sleep on Al's hand speed, wow.

Also, damn, Sherdog is just destroying my browser tonight. Just overwhelming safari

Al's overall boxing skills are underrated, not just his head movement. He's one of the best technical boxers in the division.

it's rare you see such great head movement to allow a guy to fight in the pocket. Lee's punches were, indeed, too wide, but man, Al was moving well in the pocket. That subtle head movement that keeps your head always just a little off the line and hard to find - Al moved so well tonight..

When a fighter has a slight forward lean with their stance, you know they are confident with their slips.

Al's boxing was awesome. Lee landed some hard kicks but for the most part Al was clearly winning the standing exchanges.

Lee looked bad as a top contender with how much he backed up against a smaller fighter. But part of that was Al simply outclassing Lee.

Al's overall boxing skills are underrated, not just his head movement. He's one of the best technical boxers in the division.

I missed the Khabib fight and I must have missed some others I didn't realize I missed. I didn't realize he was so technical. That was some of the better technical boxing I've seen in a while. Of course, I still don't know what the fuck Max did - that's certainly not traditional boxing but wow.

When a fighter has a slight forward lean with their stance, you know they are confident with their slips.

Oh, for sure. Some guys though have too much belief and they get their head taken off leaning forward. But Al was way in the matrix tonight. He was on it all the way around. I also think Lee was hurt by not having the power to sting Al. As sloppy as some of his stuff is, some of what he threw tonight would have moved a less strong fighter. With everything we're saying, Lee caught him with some hands and kicks, but Al wasn't phased at all.

Back