There should be a standard ruleset for boxer vs MMArtist matches

elwani

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I feel like there is a consistent demand for such matches. After all, people often want to see who the "toughest" and most "skilled" person is, not necessarily any specific ruleset. However, if they competed under either a pure boxing or MMA ruleset, the result is almost predetermined, so it's not interesting.

What would be a ruleset under which the best boxers can fight the best MMArtists, and both would have a fair chance to win and display their skills?

Last edited:
It's not a standard matchup, so why standardize it.

It happens once in a blue moon when both competitors take the bout seriously, but it's always going to be on terms that both parties are comfortable with, with oversight from the sanctioning body.

Boxers stay in boxing.
Mixed Martial Artists stay in MMA.

That would be my rule set.

...or they could just adapt to the established ruleset of the sport that they're competing in like when Lucas Browne went to boxing, or when Jeremy Williams transitioned to MMA, or when Matt Skelton went to boxing from kickboxing, or when Hunt transitioned to MMA from kickboxing etc. etc. etc.

I feel like there is a consistent demand for such matches. After all, often people just want to see who the "toughest" and most "skilled" person is, not necessarily any specific ruleset. However, if they competed under either a pure boxing or MMA ruleset, the result is almost predetermined, so it's not interesting.

What would be a ruleset under which the best boxers can fight the best MMArtists, and both would have a fair chance to win and display their skills?

8 cornered ring (like in M-1)
MMA gloves
Dirty boxing and standing submissions allowed
No ground, no kicks
4 minute rounds

It's not a standard matchup, so why standardize it.

It happens once in a blue moon when both competitors take the bout seriously, but it's always going to be on terms that both parties are comfortable with, with oversight from the sanctioning body.

If there's demand for it, I guess the reason would be to allow it to happen more easily and under a ruleset where thought has been put into making it a competitive contest.

Last edited:
Well, kickboxing. The boxer is comfortable on the feet and the mma guy can use kicks. Still favors the boxer slightly unless the mma guy is great with kicks.

I feel like there is a consistent demand for such matches. After all, often people just want to see who the "toughest" and most "skilled" person is, not necessarily any specific ruleset. However, if they competed under either a pure boxing or MMA ruleset, the result is almost predetermined, so it's not interesting.

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/t...rbick-b4-coning-mayweather-this-week.3863593/

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/the-day-kurmanov-the-boxer-submitted-ahmedov-the-jj.3874565/

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/the-day-saad-muhammad-promised-a-ko-against-tamura.3875713/

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/the-day-leg-lock-master-met-manos-de-piedra.3876141/

...or they could just adapt to the established ruleset of the sport that they're competing in like when Lucas Browne went to boxing, or when Jeremy Williams transitioned to MMA, or when Matt Skelton went to boxing from kickboxing, or when Hunt transitioned to MMA from kickboxing etc. etc. etc.

But this happens rarely, and often only when the athletes have exhausted opportunities in their own sports (so the fighter is often washed up or not that good to begin with), whereas we would like to see the best fight the best in their primes.

Last edited:
Ali vs. Inoki is the standard for boxers verses grapplers.

Well, kickboxing. The boxer is comfortable on the feet and the mma guy can use kicks. Still favors the boxer slightly unless the mma guy is great with kicks.

I think this would be too one sided in favor of the MMArtist, for example:

MMA gloves
No ground, no kicks
4 minute rounds

I had in mind something similar, but:
  1. In a cage, so that there is wall fighting
  2. Upper body throws are allowed and score points, like Greco, but no ground
  3. Also no elbows or knees, so only fist striking, but spinning shit allowed
  4. I would not do any submissions, first just to make it all striking, and second because I feel like this would discourage too many boxers from participating

Boxers get to use brass knuckles.

Because how else would they beat an mma fighter in a fight?

A ruleset so that precisely outcomes like these, which satisfy no-one, don't occur.

The only time you will see two opponents pitted together like this is when there is a tremendous money put up on the line from one group that is desperate to get attention.

There won't be neutral rules when one side has way more on the line than the other.

Ali was the "A side. " He simply says "no" and the match/exhibition/whatever you want to call it falls apart. The mere fact that New Japan Pro Wrestling had to go outside of their own circle to get something like this done with the top earner in another sport, turns all the power over to that opponent. In the end, even though the match stunk, Inoki became a name over in America (which was the objective) and in time, fans forgot how bad the match was until the Internet age. Inoki raised his profile on the world stage. Money well spent once the stink went away.

NJPW is lucky that Inoki was a business man and didn't walk out on them as the original concept pitched to him was by Vince McMahon Jr. When Ali went to Japan he found out it was a shoot (real match) and not pro wrestling. But Ali compromised enough for the event to go forward.

Ali lost a lot by agreeing to do anything but boxing. "The Greatest," was never the same after his match with Inoki due to the blood clots that developed in his legs from all the crab kicks. his reputation took a hit as well.

More A side stuff: It was rumored to be more of the same situation when Frank Shamrock wanted to face Mike Tyson. It was Tyson's rules or nothing. We're seeing the same thing with RIZIN and Mayweather. It won't happen any other way. There is some money to gain from the A-side, but there is also the potential hit to their reputation for taking on such a contest under mixed rules. A damaged reputation hurts future earnings.

Now if we're talking two unknowns going against each other, one from boxing and one from grappling/MMA, you'd have to convince an athletic commission to sanction it for starters. Those crusty, corrupt groups take forever to come around to anything new or different. They would simply say it would likely have to be contested under MMA rules.

Once the you get two mixed fighters to agree to compete, would it be approved?

I went to Vegas for the first PRIDE event "Real Deal." Mark Hunt who only had a handful of MMA bouts was scheduled to face Butterbean. Both of these guys were seasoned combat sportsmen. Hunt more from kickboxing than MMA. Butterbean from boxing. The athletic commission wouldn't allow them to fight because Butterbean was deemed too inexperienced in MMA. The same commission approves 49-0 Floyd Mayweather Jr. to fight 0-0 Conor McGregor in boxing. This is an example of only seeing the big money earners being worth the corrupt athletic commission to turn a blind eye to the lack of experience of a fighter in a given sport.

Maybe in Japan and other countries where there are no commissions or they have a different perspective on competition or really want any sort of revenue, they'd allow what you are proposing. But you're only going to get no-names doing this sort of bout. The closest to mixed-fight rules that isn't MMA, that has next to no following is Ganryujima. It doesn't count on an MMA record, but it is mixed martial arts.

MMA gloves
No ground, no kicks
4 minute rounds

And what would you call this sport? Since its not boxing or MMA.

So we need a "new" MA to see who is the best between boxers and MMA fighters?

Why not just play chess?

Boxers stay in boxing.
Mixed Martial Artists stay in MMA.

That would be my rule set.
Beat me to it. Or if a boxer REALLy wants to fight an mma guy or vice versa, they should have 1 boxing match and one mma match to be fair so they both get their ass handed to them and also both get a win <45>

And what would you call this sport? Since its not boxing or MMA.

So we need a "new" MA to see who is the best between boxers and MMA fighters?

Why not just play chess?

Strikebox :)

MMA is rally car racing.

Boxing is NASCAR.

You can’t think up a ruleset where a rally car takes on a NASCAR car without giving one an unfair advantage same as you can’t have a mixed basketball/soccer match.

Back