Lightweight : The Deepest Division?

Zurvan

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
At some point today I ran across the record of Rustam Khabilov whom I remembered being a very promising prospect when he first entered the UFC. I was surprised to see he has won his last 6 UFC fights in a row and is still not even ranked in the to 15. Are there any other divisions where fighters have a 6 or more UFC win streak and are not in the top 15 ranking?

It usually is. It seems to alternate between that and 170.

Easily.

The average athletic American/Brazilian man is around 5'9"-5'10" and about 165-175lbs, i.e., the size of guys fighting at LW. It's the fat, deep centre of the demographic bell curve, and thus the deepest talent pool. Obviously 145 and 170, being either side, are next deepest after 155.

This is also a big part of why we see LHW and HW, as well as 125, being so bereft of top level talent. (Although they are still frequently the most entertaining, mostly due to good old physics.)

It’s a weight class where men are athletic and also powerful enough to have knock outs.

Ideally these guys are probably walking around at 180 lbs of they weren’t fighting.

Guys ranked at #30 could easily beat anyone in the Top 15.

145 to 170 is where the best fighters are if we’re talking numbers-wise.

Michel Prazeres is on a 8 fight win streak and isn't ranked at 170, but to be fair 6 of these wins came at LW, he moved up recently.

145 to 170 is where the best fighters are if we’re talking numbers-wise.

Exactly.

If you're in the Top 10 at 145/155/170 you've gotten there by beating guys ranked in the 20s/30s who would be Top 10 if they were LHW/HW.

Getting to the top (and staying there) in 145/155/170 has a significantly higher level of difficulty than doing the same at 125 or LHW/HW.

Even big guys like Frank Mir, Forrest Griffin and Brendan Schaub have openly admitted this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back