Max Holloway needs to beat a top wrestler to be called FW GOAT.

MuayThai101

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Love Max, but the level of disrespect to Jose Aldo from people is disgusting. Joe Rogan forces it down everyones throat when ever he gets a chance and it annoys me.

GOAT is not about who would beat who. GOAT is about resume. If being GOAT simply meant who is the best, then Muhammad Ali would not be anywhere near HW GOAT in boxing because I see Klitchko, AJ, Fury, and even Wilder running through him. But I still have Ali as HW GOAT and so does almost everyone. Same thing with Fedor. I see Cain beating a prime Fedor...dont matter. Fedor is still GOAT.

Jose Aldo has fought every style. He proved it against them all. He beat Chad Mendes and Frankie Edgar in their primes. His takedown defence was second to none. Best TDD of all time. He is the man who really improved the techniques of TDD in all of MMA. Mendes and Frankie were running through people. Max needs to fight one of them. I prefer Chad because he is still in his prime imo. But lets slow down on Max cleaning out this division and fighting Khabib. Max has not proved him self yet. Would Max be a top fighter at LW? Sure. But him being rushed to LW would be his worst mistake and all of you will feel guilty for it when its all said and done.

-His reach is too short. 69" reach. Thats a problem.

-He is not explosive enough. Has the technique, and cardio. But many LWs have all three.

-No knock out power. Neither does Tony and Nate. But they got the length.

Stop rushing this kid. W.e happened to dominating a division before going for super fights?

Mendes
Moicano
Frankie
Zabit
Yair

So many top fighters in the FW division. Let the kid establish himself and at least set records and have his legacy be written in stone before having him get handled by LW's. Because as soon as he loses to one, all you fucking guys will abandon him. He is 27 years old. Super fights arnt going anywhere. Let it come to a boil. This will create a much much bigger and anticipated LW debut. Havn't we learned from DC vs Stipe? You cant rush a super fight. It has to get to a point where people are BEGGING for it.

So stop with this nonsense.

Aldo is still GOAT and Max still has work to do at FW.

Max literally just said aldo is the goat and not max. What more do you want man?

Your only valid points are that Holloway hasn't surpassed Aldo yet and that Holloway may have an issue with the larger wrestlers at 155.

The notion that his reach is an issue is laughable. His movement and hand speed are superb, and he had no problem landing on Pettis and Oliveira, who are natural 155ers.

Also, why the fuck do you people keep putting Zabit on these lists of potential opponents for Holloway? Dude hasn't beaten anybody near the top 15 yet. He's not a top fighter in that division at present.

If you want to put a prospect that might be a danger to Holloway on that list, it should be Volkanovski.

He is not explosive enough. Has the technique, and cardio. But many LWs have all three.
Show me just one with the level of technique and cardio max has

Stop rushing this kid. W.e happened to dominating a division before going for super fights?
Dude has a 13 Fight Win Streak and you are serously questioning his domination of the division ? Just because he hasnt faced all of the FW Fighters doesnt mean he isnt dominating

You sound like a salty Aldo Fan to me. Aldo is the FW GOAT (for now but not for long) but remember that your boy got knocked out in 13 seconds by McG while max fought 3 rounds with him at 21 years old.

Welcome to the blessed era

The majority of the champions have below average reach for their weight class.

No he doesn't. He just needs to keep fighting and beating the top contenders in his division.

Jose Aldo has fought every style. He proved it against them all.

I'm an Aldo fan, but it seems to me that he still needs to beat an elite striker. I hope he gets his chance to prove he can overcome that hurdle by rematching Conor.

Agreed
Max vs Mendes/Frankie
Those guys are several years passed their prime though but I still like those matchups. Volkanovski and Zabit are the only up and comers I see that can threaten with TDs but they don't have the All American Div 1 wrestling as Mendes and Edgar. Only time will tell if those guys can actually compete against the top of the division. And at LW there's Khabib and Lee who are both in their prime right now.

I'm an Aldo fan, but it seems to me that he still needs to beat an elite striker. I hope he gets his chance to prove he can overcome that hurdle by rematching Conor.
It depends on who you consider as an elite striker. Is Conor and Max really the only two that were at FW? Stephens, Edgar, Mendes, and Hominick were all top strikers at the time when they fought Aldo.

Show me just one with the level of technique and cardio max has

Dude has a 13 Fight Win Streak and you are serously questioning his domination of the division ? Just because he hasnt faced all of the FW Fighters doesnt mean he isnt dominating

You sound like a salty Aldo Fan to me. Aldo is the FW GOAT (for now but not for long) but remember that your boy got knocked out in 13 seconds by McG while max fought 3 rounds with him at 21 years old.

Welcome to the blessed era
That kind of shows that the Conor fight was an anomaly for Aldo though hence why he never got the rematch.

Conor caught an angry and over aggressive Aldo trying to prove a point yet never hurt or had a young and undeveloped version of Holloway hurt or in any real trouble on the feet ( in fact the only guy that looked to get hurt was Conor when Max kicked him in the head) while Aldo badly rocked the current version in the first round of there first fight and won 4 of there 6 rounds together all of which were spent on the feet.

Conor KOing Aldo in a fight where they both literally landed one punch on eachother and beating a young Holloway coming off a lose to Bermudez really doesn't tell us much in the grand scheme of things and as much as I love Max he does have a ways to go before he surpasses Aldo.

It depends on who you consider as an elite striker. Is Conor and Max really the only two that were at FW? Stephens, Edgar, Mendes, and Hominick were all top strikers at the time when they fought Aldo.

Stephens, edgar and mendes are all good strikers, but elite? I don't think so. And I say that as a huge edgar fan.

Aldo made his name off of wrestle boxers in brown, faber, mendes, Edgar, lamas....

Hominick was an underrated win, but I have a hard time ranking him as one of the best strikers in the division. You can if you like, though.

Well they do say in order to be the man u have to beat the man and in this case Max has done it twice.

That said i want him to stay at FW i am sick of Dana whites BS agenda on Max moving up. There is no reason for it at all right now. There are still plenty of fights left at FW as listed in the OP.

I want to see all those matchups( i think Max beats them all) and see Max really cement himself as the best in that division, then move up. He's still young and has plenty of time.

Conor caught an angry and over aggressive Aldo trying to prove a point yet never hurt or had a young and undeveloped version of Holloway hurt or in any real trouble on the feet ( in fact the only guy that looked to get hurt was Conor when Max kicked him in the head) while Aldo badly rocked the current version in the first round of there first fight and won 4 of there 6 rounds together all of which were spent on the feet.

This speaks for Max. Aldo couldnt controll himself and should have known better, while a young undeveloped Max did know better (even though its unfair to compare the size and magnitude of the two events but a fight is a fight).

"Badly rocked him", "won 4 of 6 rounds" yeah and still losed decisively

I love Max he does have a ways to go before he surpasses Aldo.

<TrumpWrong1>

I’ve said that for a while, yeah. Max keeps proving to be better and better but I need a top wrestler against him.

Who was the best so far? Lamas?

If he can smoke Frankie or Mendes I won’t question him for 10 years. Then he’ll be old and I’ll question his age.

Stephens, edgar and mendes are all good strikers, but elite? I don't think so. And I say that as a huge edgar fan.

Aldo made his name off of wrestle boxers in brown, faber, mendes, Edgar, lamas....

Hominick was an underrated win, but I have a hard time ranking him as one of the best strikers in the division. You can if you like, though.
So who else is an elite striker at FW and LW besides Max and Conor?

TS is lashing out and all over the place.

This is a my fav > yours thread.

No he doesn't. This is mixed martial arts, if wrestling orientated fighter cannot reach the top of his division, that says nothing of Max's abilities.

what about kenflo? or KZ? lot of the guys hes fought are well rounded because its 145, being one dimensional will only get you so far. thats what you see at the more competitive classes. if the bar youve set for elite is max holloway or dillashaw or someone on aldos level 99% arent gonna meet that bar lol

So who else is an elite striker at FW and LW besides Max and Conor?

You don't seem to grasp my point. My point was that he didn't need to beat a certain style of fighter to be considered the goat, especially considering that style of fighter never became a contender.

The same way max doesn't need to beat a certain style of fighter --he just needs to keep beating all contenders that come his way, regardless of their style.

Back