MMA Ref Reacts to Katona-Lopez Finish & LFA 56 Late-Stoppage

Thickfreakness

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score

What's your thoughts on the Katona-Lopez stoppage? One thing I thought was interesting that Dan Movahedi pointed out, and something that I didn't really consider, was that the referee shouldn't really be helping the fighter answer the bell regardless of the fight being over or between rounds. Strange one.

Does a fighter need to answer the bell once the final horn is sounded?

The justification for calling Katona/Lopez a finish is the idea that Lopez was unconscious before the horn sounded.

Does a fighter need to answer the bell once the final horn is sounded?

The justification for calling Katona/Lopez a finish is the idea that Lopez was unconscious before the horn sounded.
I agree, but I also feel as though the Official must make that determination BEFORE the horn sounds.

Reminds me of an Invicta fight where a fighter was choked unconscious at the end of the 3rd and went on to win the decision

Early stoppage. The guy was still covering up and looked like he was getting in position for a flash sub or possibly a haymaker.

Reminds me of an Invicta fight where a fighter was choked unconscious at the end of the 3rd and went on to win the decision
Which was bullshit, because she was clearly unconscious, which distinguishes it from the Katona and Dvalishvili fights.

Back