How good was Mauricio Shogun Rua really?

Threetrees

He/Him
@plutonium
Reaction score
Prime for Prime is he the best LHW thats ever fought?

Do you rate his big run in 05 above, lets say, Jon Jones buzzsaw run through the LHW division?

Do people think that in his prime he would beat Jon Jones or Daniel Cormier?

You people who care about USADA, since Jones popped is he the GOAT?

discuss

Last edited:
pretty good, top 5 likely

i would rank him ahead of wanderlei

Not GOAT, but all time great and legend. We are forever in his debt for his fights against Henderson, Liddell, Jones, Overeem, Rampage and many others.

23 year old Shogun was a killer.

I rank that version of Shogun just behind Jones all time.

2005 shogun rua is da GOAT

Best LHW ever? Nah. He was very good in his prime but I don't think he's the best ever. I don't see how he beats a prime DC and we saw what a not prime/young Jones did to him.

His big run in 06 lolz

His run in 05 beating Kanehara, Prime Rampage, Prime Nog, Overeem & Prime Arona is legendary. Especially beating the last 2 in the same night.

He was only in his 3rd year professionally in MMA

Last edited:
Was one of the top guys . Wouldve beaten prime Wanderlei but would have lost to Hendo even back then.Would have beaten Chuck.

His run wasn't better than Jones, could argue Chucks run was better too.

If he wasn't allowed soccer kicks & stomps (fighting in the UFC) he wouldn't of had as quick a rise, but still would have become champion.

Check out the 05 Pride events, Shogun was the man. Not sure I'd put him ahead of Jones, although I'd bet both were on the juice.

He is just below DC and Jones, but the latter has so much physical advantages over Shogun that's its almost not an apple to apple comparison

#1 is obviously Jon.

I have shogun at #2 or #3, but I think DC beats him.

As much as I hate to admit it, Jones is the goat at lhw for sure. Sure he's been popped but to think other people aren't using a little something is completely foolish. I think Jones is just an idiot when it comes time for him to cylcle off stuff

He is just below DC and Jones, but the latter has so much physical advantages over Shogun that's its almost not an apple to apple comparison
If you’re referring to his size (not the steroids), I have to respectfully disagree with the not apple to apple thing. Anyone who can make 205 is welcome to fight there, no matter what size.

Back