Brian Ortega must change camp immediately

Kyle Stephens

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
My personal opinion is that after that shitkicking this is his only choice. It was obvious he had big holes in his game even before his championship fight. Snatching victory from the jaws of defeat was normal to him. And we even don't talk about having to do this v some world beaters - fucking Brandao, Guida... His finishing skills got a lot better in his later fights (that is the 2nd reason lotta ppl thought he might surprise Max (me too), the other was Max's health issues), but lacking fundamentals is what's going to send his career in the trash.

He's not gonna get a light touch from UFC matchmakers. We know how they do when a challenger loses titlefight - they give him to the next in line or some other high ranked opponent. It's not gonna be pretty if he does not evolve fast.

I get that staying with the people you began your career with is noble, but winning is more noble in my opinion. He does not have to get rid of everybody, tho. Rener can stay with him as his BJJ coach. I say the best possible place for him is to go to San Jose (it's not too far for him). American Kickboxing Academy is a top notch professional gym with some of the best coaches in MMA, amazing sparring partners and great work ethic. With his bjj magic and working on wrestling, strength and conditioning, good striking fundamentals I think he is going to be a problem for all featherweights. After a solid year or two training there and taking tune-up fights, tho. If UFC throws him to the wolves right away it's not going to work.

I don't have a clue if I am right or not. So any opinions I'd like to read. It's very interesting topic to me. Thanks. :)

right in one way but wrong in another

He will certainly need to rethink his approach in a rematch with Holloway.

But against the rest of the division? He's finished everyone he's fought, including the best of the old (Edgar and Swanson) and one of the best of the new (Moicano). He's clearly doing something right.

Everyone has holes when they fight Max. Ortega needs to train with a world class wrestler.

I tend to agree here.

I also am slowly realizing that Max may be a cut above. Is he better than he seems?

He should change camp because his corner failed to protect him from himself and throw in the towel.

I agree.. his physique isnt impressive. He cannot be training that hard.. also u can tell he does bjj but not much wrestling. His takedown attempts were pathetic.. but most damning was his striking defense.. no doubt its easy to say he looked bad against possibly the best boxer and 1 2 in mma atm but his hands were just way to low. he ran into so much and didnt defend when max unloaded on him intelligently at all.. he needs a better striking coach and he needs a wrestling coach. He needs a strength and condition coach also. Hes got heart but doesnt look to be in greatshape.. he needs more muscle

He steamrolled his division but lost to a better fighter, no shame in that. It’s how he handles the loss and comes back, that’s what should be the determining factor. It’s not like he’s being coached by Edmund...you don’t change camps just because you lost a title shot to someone who’s on path to becoming an all time great.

Seems a little too dramatic to me. He's only lost once. Changing camps isn't always a recipe for success..

He needs to work his cardio, boxing defense and wrestling.

He can't just keep relying on getting these come-from-behind victories. To be truly elite he needs start being able to dictate how the fight goes. Push the pace and get the opponent where he wants them.

Edit: I think he should actually stick with Rener for his BJJ, but branch out to some more seasoned striking/wrestling coaches.

Slow down, man. This is Ortegas first professional loss, we should at least give him the opportunity to improve with his camp.

Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater, eh?

ortega has shown steady improvement from fight to fight. he was once just a grappler. he's developed into a damn good striker. he just ran into someone who's on another level.

my biggest issue with ortega's team isn't with his development, but with his corner. he was getting owned in first three rounds, but he was still dangerous. once that 4th round started, he was done. the towel should of been thrown in. he needed to be saved from himself.

If this fight would have gone as the others have for T City, we'd all be crying that Max needs to get off that little fuckin' island and train with some real fighters.

I love how quickly fans turn on guys/coaches/camps in the wake of a failure. When he KO'd Frankie everyone was going nuts with how well rounded and dangerous he was. Now he has to switch camps lol

Max has brutally beaten a ton of great guys... maybe Ortega just lost to a better man?

Ortega better pray he does not get Aldo next. That's all I have to say.

He should stay at his camp, but maybe he can bring in some guys to help with certain aspects. His striking needs a lot of work, I have seen him getting lit up way too many times in his fights, even if he did manage to get a last minute sub

He needs to define wtf is he going to aim for... will he be a striker a la cerrone, good finishing rate, but rather strike over grapple (which seems like it’s the case) or is he gokng to take khabibs road, although I don’t know how good his overall ground game. He’s got slick subs, that doesn’t mean he’s got slick control... he’s young and has lots of time to evolve his game.

Back