Schaub spoke to rener about the decision of not stopping the fight

Verace

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Timestamped:

I told him: theres a lot of heat online about the fact you guys should have stopped it earlier.
And he goes: Brendan you know better than anyone, brian throughout his entire UFC career always pulls it off late. He always, always does. He is dangerous from the first minute, until the last second in the fifth. Thats who he is. In the last round you do not wanna go against ortega. He pulls something out of his hat. Thats his MO. So he gets the biggest fight of his life, we expected the same thing. We expected him to make adjustments and somehow find a submission in there. We had other fights where he was losing and pulled it out of his hat so why would we stop the biggest fight of his life?
So i went, alright man, thats fair.

<WellThere>
Pretty much the regular stuff. Nothing surprising here. But i though id leave it here since everyone was so up in arms about it and might want to hear sort of directly from the horses mouth.

Not the corner's job to stop the fight, if the corner stops the fight these people will bitch about it for years.

See: BJ Penn vs GSP

It's a shitty thing to do but a fighter's corner has to think of their guy's well being as well as what he wants. Of course the fighter doesn't want to give up but sometimes he needs to be saved from himself. If the corner can't recognize their fighter is getting demolished and act to protect his well being then they shouldn't be cornering anyone. Hoping your guy can pull off a miracle every fight is irresponsible and dangerous.

Shame on him, it was his job to acknowledge it was over, man.
Ortega was much more gassed, his arms were weak and Max submission defense is great.
The amount of punishment Ortega took in the 4th round was almost unheard of. There's no coming back from that.

Theres a difference between closely losing on the scorecards against guys like Guida or Cub, and taking an absolute lifechanging mauling from Holloway.

Last edited:
I knew a runner once who always sped up for the last lap even when looking exhausted. One time he looked way more exhausted than usual, but I just thought he'd do his routine like always. I mean, that's what he's known for, what could go wrong?

He died, but I still think my logic was sound, bros.

Shame on him, it was his job to acknowledge it was over, man.
Ortega was much more gassed, his arms were weak and Max submission defense is great.
The amount of punishment Ortega took in the 4th round was almost unheard of. There's no coming back from that.

Theres a difference between closely losing on the scorecards against Guida, Moicano, Cub and taking an absolute lifechanging mauling from Holloway.

While I do agree with you both, I wonder how hard it is to recognize these moments in real time when you are right there on the spot.

Nevertheless, the Gracie do or die mentality is indeed over the top

Last edited:
Not the corner's job to stop the fight, if the corner stops the fight these people will bitch about it for years.

BJ QUIT............... he had NOTHING Left

HE GAVE HIS BROTHER THE LOOK.

HE WANTED OUT OF THERE.

FOR GOOD REASON.

I AM GLAD IT WAS STOPPED. IT SURE STOPPED THE "STUPID " FIGHT TO THE DEATH NONSENSE.

HE WAS GONNA GET KILLED.....

Do I think BJ was/is a Cur...? NO .. he was so tired he was helpless and imo,,his health was in danger..BIG DIFFERENCE FROM CONOR.

Conor on the other hand is a CUR....he just quit,gave up..Period. Comparatively.. Conor had a LOT left both times he quit

He was taking unnecesary punishment and wasn't winning in the scorecards, but it is also true that he had at some point posed some sort of threat to Holloway, via hurting him on the feet of attempting a leg lock. None of those moments where ever near to finish the fight, but he still had a chance, so I fully understand the decision to let him go and try. Even though he was losing the whole fight, it was only the 4th round where he got obliterated, so in his corner mind it had been only 5 minutes of mauling and there were only 5 more, so it didn't look as bad for them. I understand with and agree with their decisión, i think i would have done the same

The guy was gassed out badly plus taking WAY too many unanswered shots that brutalized his face. The fights where he pulled off something late were not nearly as one sided as this one. There is will/heart and then there is delusion. Ortegas team should have thrown in the towel if the Doc hadn't stopped the fight.

Ortega didn't brag about how he'll never stop coming forward and how he'll never ever quit against Holloway.

While I do agree with you both, I wonder how hard it is to recognize those moments in real time when you are right there on the spot.

Nevertheless, the Gracie do or die mentality is indeed over the top
It's probably really hard. However, if making those judgements in the heat of the moment was the issue, then you should change your assement in hindsight no?

It's a shitty thing to do but a fighter's corner has to think of their guy's well being as well as what he wants. Of course the fighter doesn't want to give up but sometimes he needs to be saved from himself. If the corner can't recognize their fighter is getting demolished and act to protect his well being then they shouldn't be cornering anyone. Hoping your guy can pull off a miracle every fight is irresponsible and dangerous.

Very well said.

Nobody was bitching about the BJ Penn/GSP fight getting stopped. Everyone could see BJ was getting destroyed.

Timestamped:

I told him: theres a lot of heat online about the fact you guys should have stopped it earlier.
And he goes: Brendan you know better than anyone, brian throughout his entire UFC career always pulls it off late. He always, always does. He is dangerous from the first minute, until the last second in the fifth. Thats who he is. In the last round you do not wanna go against ortega. He pulls something out of his hat. Thats his MO. So he gets the biggest fight of his life, we expected the same thing. We expected him to make adjustments and somehow find a submission in there. We had other fights where he was losing and pulled it out of his hat so why would we stop the biggest fight of his life?

<WellThere>
Pretty much the regular stuff. Nothing surprising here. But i though id leave it here since everyone was so up in arms about it and might want to hear sort of directly from the horses mouth.

My question is: why is Rener Ortega's main coach? Rener's a bit out of his league there, Ortega should have a game planner who understands the entire game.

"We expected him to make adjustments" - as the coach, you should be the one telling him what adjustments he should be making.

Timestamped:

<WellThere>

I don't think anyone is bashing Ortega's coaches for not stopping it sooner. Would anyone have stopped that fight after the third?

Ortega's comeback history cannot be ignored. But it should be consensual. So if Ortega ahs had this discussion with Rener outside the heat of a fight in the past, and Ortega has been clear that he doesn't want a match stopped, then Rener needs to respect that Ortegas right to decide what to put his own body through

WTH happened to autonomy/freedom?

Nobody was bitching about the BJ Penn/GSP fight getting stopped. Everyone could see BJ was getting destroyed.
lol you obviously wasn't on Sherdog when this fight happened. And people bitched because BJ didn't stop his corner from stopping the fight even though BJ had a concussion from the 2nd round....but BJ didn't go "to the death, Georges" in the fight.

I feel like a boxing corner would have stopped that much earlier. Idk what it is about MMA, but there's very rarely corner stoppages.

Gracie's logic makes sense up until the 4tb rd. Brian still looked very dangerous in the third but rd4 was the most one-sided rd of the ftght. There was no chance after that.

Back