Why do camps let fighters get out of shape?

Alpha_T83

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I feel like Max Holloway doesn't actually have issues making 145, if he stays in shape between camps. This can be said for a lot of fighters -- they get too heavy between fights and have trouble making weight (Anthony Pettis).

To me, this is a clear failure on the fighters' camps. The people around them need to be police, and demand that their fighters stay in shape and be disciplined. It can literally be a matter of life and death -- getting overweight between camps can cause your kidneys to shut down during the cut.

I feel like Max Holloway doesn't actually have issues making 145, if he stays in shape between camps. This can be said for a lot of fighters -- they get too heavy between fights and have trouble making weight (Anthony Pettis).

To me, this is a clear failure on the fighters' camps. The people around them need to be police, and demand that their fighters stay in shape and be disciplined. It can literally be a matter of life and death -- getting overweight between camps can cause your kidneys to shut down during the cut.

If you didn't understand it from Khabib matchup fiasco, Max CUTS A LOT OF WEIGHT.

For him staying in shape = living in Auschwitz

If you didn't understand it from Khabib matchup fiasco, Max CUTS A LOT OF WEIGHT.

Not at all. It just means he can't eat fatty food and drink alcohol. That's it.

There's a difference between gaining 5 pounds between fights because you eat a bit more food, and gaining 20 pounds between fights because you eat whatever you want and drink a lot of alcohol.

I lost 15 pounds just by cutting out fatty food and alcohol from my diet. Now I'm only ~10 pounds overweight, and I barely work out. Don't underestimate how much a clean diet makes a difference.

There's a difference between gaining 5 pounds between fights because you eat a bit more food, and gaining 20 pounds between fights because you eat whatever you want and drink a lot of alcohol.

Dude, you have no clue what he eats. These are just your assumptions, describing him like mega eater and drunkard.

Face the facts: He couldn't make 155 on short notice.
That means his normal weight is WAY MORE than 145.

Sorry, but the body needs rest. no one can stay in fighting shape all year 'round.
besides, the camp is not the boss of the fighter nor his mom.

What if they just buy a greasy restaurant?

th

Last edited:
it's the fighters making their own stupid decisions. and the camps don't have any superpowers over them, if they want to get fat between camps, they will get fat

I love seeing threads like this where an average joe has it all figured out.

If it’s as simple as you say, call up the fighters and tell them your ground breaking secret.

Its an individual sport, not that complicated actually.

The point is being as heavy as possible on fight night. Does DC seem like a guy with problems staying on tracK? He cuts 40lbs for LHW because he wants to be as big as possible. The same with Max.

Why are bodybuilders not single digit bodyfat year round? Because it's fucking draining on their body. Yeah sure, there are fighters that go overboard with the relaxation but with how much punishment you take during camps and fights, you need time off and ease up.

I lost 15 pounds just by cutting out fatty food and alcohol from my diet. Now I'm only ~10 pounds overweight, and I barely work out. Don't underestimate how much a clean diet makes a difference.
Thats not how cutting weight works. I'd guess max cuts a solid 10-20 pounds of water (rough estimate but you get the point). Staying in that condition for any significant amount of time will kill you. You're talking about losing fat. Max doesn't exactly turn into John Goodman between fights.

Because most camps are not strict enough with the fighters in his diet and weight cuts. a lot of fighters have eat shit in between camps and when they have a fight coming they just cut water and not the fat. just like hendricks.

If more fighters are more conscious of what they eat, they don't have to cut so much in water.

TS has a point. They need to hire Mr. Eyehole Man to regulate eating habits

Camps arent permanent year round. Most are paid to assemble when a fighter gets signed to fight. After the fight, that specific camp breaks up so no one is being paid 24/7 to monitor a fighters diet.

Thats not how cutting weight works. I'd guess max cuts a solid 10-20 pounds of water (rough estimate but you get the point). Staying in that condition for any significant amount of time will kill you. You're talking about losing fat. Max doesn't exactly turn into John Goodman between fights.

I know how cutting works guy. But you're missing my point.

Let's say Max cut 15 pounds for this fight. He had a great weight cut this time around, because he was in shape. But maybe during his previous camp Max was heavier (because of shit diet), and as a result he had to cut 20 pounds to make 145. Needing to cut 20 pounds puts Max at much more risk, which is all set up by poor pre-camp fitness.

In other words, by having better pre-camp shape, Max actually needs to cut less water weight:

Case #1: Good diet/exercise between fights, 165 pounds pre-camp weight -- Max gets down to 160 and cuts 15 pounds to make 145. Perfect weight cut.

Case #2: Poor diet/exercise between fights, 180 pounds pre-camp weight -- Max only gets down to 165 pounds for his cut, has to cut 20 pounds to make 145. Poor, dangerous weight cut.

I love seeing threads like this where an average joe has it all figured out.

If it’s as simple as you say, call up the fighters and tell them your ground breaking secret.

Yea it actually is this simple buddy. Fighters are often their own worst enemies -- this is why we have coaches and training camps.

Camps arent permanent year round. Most are paid to assemble when a fighter gets signed to fight. After the fight, that specific camp breaks up so no one is being paid 24/7 to monitor a fighters diet.

That does make sense, but I still think the camp should be doing *more* to push the fighter to stay in shape and eat healthy. Someone needs to monitor these guys on a weekly basis. No matter where they are, they should have a weekly weight + fitness test to pass.

Drama show.... max isn’t skin and bones in his fight. He’s a skinny dude. He isn’t muscular. He’s not even that low of body fat. His issue are from (like op said) getting up to 180 eating rice and bbq pork and spam. The khabib situation is speculation, and that was a late notice weight cut mind you. Max has also eluded to him being drugged to the lead up.

Max doesn’t look bad on the scale. Certainly better than guys like Aldo, Conor, Pettis, khabib, Tony, Lee, etc etc etc.

Just chill and let him do da damn ting
giphy.gif

Back