Can Shevchenko ever beat Nunes?

youllneverwalkalone

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Her post-fight interview got me thinking about this.
I agree with the points raised by Valentina and chances are these two will have to meet again at some point.

Personally I don't reallty wanna see Nunes-Schevchenko 3 for a long time, but the question I would like to ask you guys is whether you think a potential third fight will go down similarly to their last, or whether you think Valentina has a chance of beating Nunes. (and if so what kind of adjustments would she have to make?)

I agree with the points raised by Valentina and chances are these two will have to meet again at some point.

Personally I don't reallty wanna see Nunes-Schevchenko 3 for a long time, but the question I would like to ask you guys is whether you think a potential third fight will go down similarly to their last, or whether you think Valentina has a chance of beating Nunes. (and if so what kind of adjustments would she have to make?)
She’s beaten her twice because Shevchenko refuses to throw volume. So yeah, it can happen again.

Yes. But it's not the likeliest outcome.

I'm actually surprised Nunes has never fought Holly, especially since she gets a title shot like Randy Couture

shevchenko has no power and is a risk averse counter striker. she'll always lose a split dec to nunes, the natty women's GOAT

Even Nunes looked surprised that she “won” against Val. Val needs to find that killer instinct and start throwing kicks to the head instead of just to the body. She kicks very hard with incredible technique and I doubt any of these girls could take it. Nunes got saved by the judges.

She could, yes. During their last fight she just needed to slightly increase the volume. And avoid a takedown attempt in the last round against a bigger, stronger fighter.

Hell, if she would have checked instead of just ignored Amanda's leg kicks during their last fight that might have been enough. She had quite a few routes to victory during their last fight but did not capitalize on any of them.

**Reads front page of Sherdog headlines.**
**Proceeds to make thread about said headline and claim a post fight interview influenced their decision to make thread instead**

what points did she raise?

The first two fights are indications that she can, but she will have to get out of her comfort zone in order to do so, which is not really how she fights.

She's been close, twice. Can't see why not. I think that's her plan once her sister gets some wins. Val wouldn't fight Antonina. I see her getting a few defenses in, and vacating the title to allow her sister to become champ.

Val knows shes basically the #2 woman at BW. Why not get a few wins in and get her respect back by defending a belt? This was probably the best way to earn another shot at BW, while getting some exp. Can't imagine her getting one without about 7 wins since Amanda has 2 wins over her on paper.

She's in a Woodley/Wonderboy scenario where she has the skills to win the fight but no one wants to see it again and there is no indication it will go any differently.

**Reads front page of Sherdog headlines.**
**Proceeds to make thread about said headline and claim a post fight interview influenced their decision to make thread instead**

Believe whatever you want. Did you have something meaningful to contribute to the discussion or you just came to troll?

Last edited:
what points did she raise?

She was asked about her future. She basically said she would like to hold onto to the FlW belt while her sister climbs up the rankings, and then move up to BW to challenge Nunes again as she feels she never really lost to her.

Last edited:
Pretty low chance.

In the first fight, Nunes was aggressive and beat Shevchenko up pretty good for two rounds. Shevchenko won a round point fighting because Nunes got tired.

In the second fight Nunes beat Shevchenko at her own game. A patient point fighting match. She dialed down the volume to Shevchenko's level and still out struck her in terms of quality and quantity in the first three rounds.

Shev can't take her down, can't lead, doesn't have the power or aggression to make any kind of fight changing strikes land, never throws enough volume to win on striking alone, never pushes the pace so her cardio advantage is never relevant as long as Nunes paces herself.

Back