Max v Tony overview

Zabit 145 Goat

Who iz nyext?
Banned
Reaction score
Prior to last Saturday night, it hasn't been talked about too much. Now that I think about it, that has FOTY written all over it. Complete fucking war.

Let's look at their similarities and differences for a sec -

Both have great chins, cardio, output/volume pace, pressure and tend to pick it up when their opponents start slowing down

Max is clearly a better boxer, offensively and defensively as he doesn't get hit clean too often. Max also has great TDD

Tony has better BJJ, better off his back, and tends to get tagged hard and hurt in damn near every fight but comes back in proper El Cucuy fashion

I'm pretty on the fence but gun to my head prediction I think I go with Tony ,
Can't believe I'm about to say this but I can see El Cucuy outlasting Max and breaking him but who the fuck knows.

What did you guys think happens if they scrap ? Discuss....

Holloway is 0-2 against LW Top 5. Holloway fights at FW for a reason.

Every advantage he has at FW he would give up to Fergie: Size, reach, cardio, etc.

Prior to last Saturday night, it hasn't been talked about too much. Now that I think about it, that has FOTY written all over it. Complete fucking war.

Both have great chins, cardio, output/volume pace, pressure and tend to pick it up when their opponents start slowing down

Max is clearly a better boxer, offensively and defensively as he doesn't get hit clean too often. Max also has great TDD

Tony has better BJJ, better off his back, and tends to get tagged hard and hurt in damn near every fight but comes back in proper El Cucuy fashion

Can't believe I'm about to say this but I can see El Cucuy outlasting Max and breaking him but who the fuck knows.

Come on, we all know that what you REALLY wanted to post is that Zabit beats them both on the same night

I respectfully disagree on Tony breaking down Max Holloway. I agree that Tony has the superior BJJ, a nightmare of a ground game, and nice recovery, but when you look at who he's fought and who he's been dropped by, they're not on Max's level of striking, let alone Boxing. He was sent dancing around the Octagon by Lando, was dropped by Kevin Lee, and was dropped by Anthony Pettis. Amazing recovery aside, all these instances he's been dropped, one thing remains the same, sloppy and terrible shot selection.

We see it time and time again in MMA, when someone's hurt, the person going after them gets sloppy, sometimes becoming reckless as they're going in for "the finish". When you consider Ferguson's unorthodox style and his unique way of recovering, just going "In" isn't the way to finish him, and that's where I feel Max will succeed. He'll tag Tony, rock him, and he'll take his time and pick his shots carefully. As you said he's the superior Boxer, and Max is sure to have the speed advantage, so one nice quick straight from Max, followed up by good shot selection, I think he gets him out of there in the later rounds.

A stoppage in the Championship rounds is something I see in this fight, obviously Tony Fergusons wrestling is in question and could be an equalizer, but I see this being a stand up battle, and when we look at the people that have dropped Tony, it won't be good if he gets hurt by Max.

Max might have better striking but I think that 7 1/2 inch reach disadvantage kind of equalizes that skill gap

Max s boxing is too much for tony. Tony has insane cardio and insane heart but bro his defense is among the worst I have ever seen in high caliber fighters. Max has the technique, the pace and the pressure to finish tony.

that is an interesting fight i'd throw diaz vs max as well as another top fight for holloway

Come on, we all know that what you REALLY wanted to post is that Zabit beats them both on the same night

Not at all bro. Zabit is my favorite fighter and my username is really me foreshadow him to be the 145 goat because I think its possible if he develops and hones his skills but this thread is about max and tony. Both are some of my favorite fighters and I want to discuss their matchup

I respectfully disagree on Tony breaking down Max Holloway. I agree that Tony has the superior BJJ, a nightmare of a ground game, and nice recovery, but when you look at who he's fought and who he's been dropped by, they're not on Max's level of striking, let alone Boxing. He was sent dancing around the Octagon by Lando, was dropped by Kevin Lee, and was dropped by Anthony Pettis. Amazing recovery aside, all these instances he's been dropped, one thing remains the same, sloppy and terrible shot selection.

We see it time and time again in MMA, when someone's hurt, the person going after them gets sloppy, sometimes becoming reckless as they're going in for "the finish". When you consider Ferguson's unorthodox style and his unique way of recovering, just going "In" isn't the way to finish him, and that's where I feel Max will succeed. He'll tag Tony, rock him, and he'll take his time and pick his shots carefully. As you said he's the superior Boxer, and Max is sure to have the speed advantage, so one nice quick straight from Max, followed up by good shot selection, I think he gets him out of there in the later rounds.

A stoppage in the Championship rounds is something I see in this fight, obviously Tony Fergusons wrestling is in question and could be an equalizer, but I see this being a stand up battle, and when we look at the people that have dropped Tony, it won't be good if he gets hurt by Max.

Max punches like a girl though. Who lands 290 strikes and doesn't finish their opponent?

Max s boxing is too much for tony. Tony has insane cardio and insane heart but bro his defense is among the worst I have ever seen in high caliber fighters. Max has the technique, the pace and the pressure to finish tony.

Fair bro.
I don't blame you .
Tony does have bad defense for an elite fighter and gets rocked all the time. But he's so fucking durable and has come out he victor over and over again that I have doubt's about Max finishing him .

I've stated my opinion on this before, but I'll just repeat it in this thread as well: the only advantage Ferguson has over Max is size, which is not something to be dismissed, but that's literally it. Max is the better technical boxer and has very solid TDD, so Ferguson's ground game will most likely not even enter the equation in the fight. Max will outpoint him on the feet to a comfortable decision. Cardio or chin will not be an issue for either fighter (unless Ferguson's chin cracks from all the wear and tear it has taken throughout his career, but that's not something one should rely on in a fight), both are cardio machines.

EDIT: yeah, I forgot Ferguson also has the reach advantage, but Max is still the far better technical boxer.

Max loses to everyone in the top 5 at LW.

He is a superb FW but he doesn't punch hard enough or have good enough grappling to beat any of them. Plus he is far too easy to hit.

If he fights at LW it should probably be against Nate Diaz or Edson Barboza.

I'm not convinced that Tony just gets pieced up by Max like his other opponents. Tony's not a guy who just hangs around waiting for an opportunity and like Holloway, hes know for insane pace, volume and pressure. How do we know Max doesn't get tagged and finished with something, or Tony doesn't take him down and sub him during a scramble. I wouldn't put it past Tony honestly and I'm trying not to be a victim of recency bias with Max

Back