Kavanagh: Conor good role model, but will have "awkward conversations" with kids cause of wild 20s

OzoneX

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
"Conor is going to have some awkward conversations in his future, because maybe you had a wild 20s, but everything he's done is on YouTube in high definition. I'm sure when his son is 15 or 16 it will be 'Dad, what was all that about?'."

"I can't take the speeding fine that seriously. Well, I wasn't at the court, I was in the gym, but if he did something wrong why wasn't he prosecuted? "He parked wrong? Someone should clamp him. Take his car away, he's just a civilian. Am I going to sit down with him and say 'you should park your car the right way?' No that's not who I am.

"I certainly wouldn’t stand for something racist or anything along those lines. I mean, some of the stuff he says is just childish, I can't take it all that seriously. I just find it silly." Kavanagh was pressed on the legacy Conor is leaving behind, after tennis star Roger Federer referred to him as 'the guy who throws things'.

The coach said: "That's something Conor has to live with. I think he knows it, he doesn't need me to tell him. He's not 12. It would never happen but I'd love to sit down with him.

"He's as competitive now with his whiskey as he is with his fighting. It sounds weird but he doesn't actually spend much money. Everything he wears he's paid to wear, everything he drives is given to him, he's not into restaurants, his missus makes his meals, he's in a fairly modest home and he doesn't gamble."

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/mma/349...avanagh-defends-mma-wild-20s-good-role-model/

WEB-Conor-McGregor.JPG

"Conor is going to have some awkward conversations in his future, because maybe you had a wild 20s, but everything he's done is on YouTube in high definition. I'm sure when his son is 15 or 16 it will be 'Dad, what was all that about?'."

"I can't take the speeding fine that seriously. Well, I wasn't at the court, I was in the gym, but if he did something wrong why wasn't he prosecuted? "He parked wrong? Someone should clamp him. Take his car away, he's just a civilian. Am I going to sit down with him and say 'you should park your car the right way?' No that's not who I am.

"I certainly wouldn’t stand for something racist or anything along those lines. I mean, some of the stuff he says is just childish, I can't take it all that seriously. I just find it silly." Kavanagh was pressed on the legacy Conor is leaving behind, after tennis star Roger Federer referred to him as 'the guy who throws things'.

The coach said: "That's something Conor has to live with. I think he knows it, he doesn't need me to tell him. He's not 12. It would never happen but I'd love to sit down with him.

"He's as competitive now with his whiskey as he is with his fighting. It sounds weird but he doesn't actually spend much money. Everything he wears he's paid to wear, everything he drives is given to him, he's not into restaurants, his missus makes his meals, he's in a fairly modest home and he doesn't gamble."

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/mma/349...avanagh-defends-mma-wild-20s-good-role-model/

WEB-Conor-McGregor.JPG

Thing is, he really COULD achieve all that he has achieved now, but with less idiotic and erratic behaviour.

lol role model

if thats an awkward conversation i wonder what it'll be like when his son asks him why he hasn't won a fight since he's been born

Anybody in their 20’s that look up to athletes or celebrities as their role model need to get their heads checked.

I don't think asshole fathers can have normal kids raised. Kids don't ask fathers - they watch, learn and apply same behavioral patterns.

The Sun, so take with a truckload of salt, BUT,

I've seen a lot of things recently that point to a split between these two,
Firstly they haven't spoke since the fight and Owen Roddy has left SBG and he is Conors striking coach,
His wrestling coach has left to set up an SBG affiliate close to Conors home and he has been training there since.
Conor's IG post after the fight where he dissects what he did wrong and in a roundabout way blames his coach for bad tactics
Kavanagh saying he needs to be convinced to coach him again,

I personally feel Conor will split from Kavanagh and hope he does, He needs to be challenged daily by elite fighters not some anonymous scrubs from wherever. Edit: I shouldn’t say scrubs as it’s disrespectful what I mean to say is he should have elite level mma sparring partners

Last edited:
Man has lived his life how he wanted to live it. Get over it.

Its no wonder Conor has fallen off when hes not even close with Irish Edmond anymore. They havent even spoken since fight night IIRC. How can you excel when youre not living and breathing the game anymore?

Kavanagh could cure cancer and would still be disrespected amongst the negative people that lurk online.

Firstly they haven't spoke since the fight and Owen Roddy has left SBG and he is Conors striking coach,
His wrestling coach has left to set up an SBG affiliate close to Conors home and he has been training there since.
Conor's IG post after the fight where he dissects what he did wrong and in a roundabout way blames his coach for bad tactics

I personally feel Conor will split from Kavanagh and hope he does, He needs to be challenged daily by elite fighters not some anonymous scrubs from wherever.
pretty sure he regularly flys over boxing training partners of pacquiao / GGG, trains with a Marcelo Garcia black belt, Moldovan national team wrestling coach. Hardly scrubs In terms of his training

but he could definitely do with some more skillful bodies and up his wrestling training a bit more. That's the problem with living In ireland (no offense) There aren't many high level / well rounded fighters there. Outside of the boxing realm at least.

Kavanagh could cure cancer and would still be disrespected amongst the negative people that lurk online.
Anyone who's coaching fighters at the highest level deserves respect, you don't necessarily have to like them and you can even have some warranted criticisms..but they all deserve respect.

That's something people who sit behind a computer screen talking shit don't really understand on the level that they should. But you see the same level of stupidity across all sports really, fans thinking they have the right to actually speak on these things that are so far above their heads.

You'll never hear fighters, martial artists or people involved In the sport speaking these things..because It's the highest level of stupid.

I personally feel Conor will split from Kavanagh and hope he does, He needs to be challenged daily by elite fighters not some anonymous scrubs from wherever.
I don't think any of this points towards Conor starting to train daily with elite fighters. If anything it sounds more and more like he's trying to keep his small team of yes men around him.

Back