to max's future opponent's coaches... just throw in the towel

xMaxPower

Red Belt
Reaction score
if its looking bad, and your fighter has no answer for anything... its not work risking health and future for the sake of our entertainment and to possibly get that 0.0001% haily mary KO.

we know Max has the style to make guys quit with excess battering, and possibly putting someone in a coma. he has the style thatll make you die at 50 instead of 80.
hes basically the lomachenko of MMA.
except Max's opponents coaches gotta learn from loma's opponents coaches...

It's easy to make perfect retroactive calls as an armchair QB

Taking away a chance to become champion from a guy who is still dangerous is not that easy of a call.

Ortega is a finisher with a history of pulling out comebacks.

There are multiple checks and balances to the equation and the doc did his job. I respectfully disagree with second guessing the corner if Ortega wanted to continue. (I didn't see unedited footage to see his reaction to Dr/ref after round 4)

It's easy to make perfect retroactive calls as an armchair QB

Taking away a chance to become champion from a guy who is still dangerous is not that easy of a call.

you missed the part where i said "if your fighter has no answer".... which implies, not very dangerous.... thus... a very easy fking call lol

you missed the part where i said "if your fighter has no answer".... which implies, not very dangerous.... thus... a very easy fking call lol
You are removed from the situation so you feel like it is an easy call because YOU wouldn't have to deal with that fighter second guessing you or begrudging you for taking away his chance to become champ.

The Dr did his job. Monday morning quarterbacking is not necessary here.

Everybody has all the answers when given 20/20 hindsight and no personal involvement.

if its looking bad, and your fighter has no answer for anything... its not work risking health and future for the sake of our entertainment and to possibly get that 0.0001% haily mary KO.

we know Max has the style to make guys quit with excess battering, and possibly putting someone in a coma. he has the style thatll make you die at 50 instead of 80.
hes basically the lomachenko of MMA.
except Max's opponents coaches gotta learn from loma's opponents coaches...
Rewatching the fight, it was worse than I thought. Initially felt Ortega did well in rounds 2 and 3, however those rounds were just the beginning of the end. Ortega ate huge shots, and none of his shots (even the ones that appeared to have some affect in the 3rd round) didn't actually affect Holloway.
4th round was just unwatchable, looked like an amateur getting wailed on by a professional in sparring.

Bjj doesnt really work on max. I figured that would end badly. A dangerous striker with great cardio us what's needed.

You only get one title shot most of the time.

2ahdqu8.gif~c200

From a fan perspective its easy to say.

From a corner/ brother/ championship taken away/ knowing your guy.......

Its not that simple

I think Max is a awesome dude and a great fighter but did you just compare him to Lomachenko?

<6>

I think any normal human doesn’t like to witness that level of beat down. Not being in that seat, on that night makes it impossible to intelligently make the call. But from my seat, that shit went on to long.

Then they should fight until they can't fight no more
except that they shouldn't.

mma fans (and coaches, apparently) don't seem to understand that prolonged punishment during a fight will affect their fighter for ever. the boxing community understands that, but mma still seems to be stuck in the 90s with their mentality of fighting to the death. people keep shitting on the chris and saying it's USADA that fucked him up, but ignore the ferocious beating rockhold gave him. there's plenty of similar examples - guys getting beaten to shit and never looking the same again.

ortega's corner could've thrown in the towel during the last round. they should have stopped it themselves between the rounds. luckily for everyone involved, the doctor called it off.

except that they shouldn't.

mma fans (and coaches, apparently) don't seem to understand that prolonged punishment during a fight will affect their fighter for ever. the boxing community understands that, but mma still seems to be stuck in the 90s with their mentality of fighting to the death. people keep shitting on the chris and saying it's USADA that fucked him up, but ignore the ferocious beating rockhold gave him. there's plenty of similar examples - guys getting beaten to shit and never looking the same again.

ortega's corner could've thrown in the towel during the last round. they should have stopped it themselves between the rounds. luckily for everyone involved, the doctor called it off.

They know what they signed up for and its ultimately their decision. It's their body and life. If they quit I respect it. If they fight on I respect it.

They know what they signed up for and its ultimately their decision. It's their body and life. If they quit I respect it. If they fight on I respect it.
notice how i never once mentioned the fighter making the decision?

it shouldn't be their call. they're in there fighting and are neither willing nor capable of making the right call here. the referee and the corner have the ability to stop the fight for a reason, and their decision trumps the will of the fighter. and rightfully so. if it was up to ortega, he'd likely lose his eye last night.

Back