Fighting in multiple divisions has got out of hand

Legendary

Ꮥµpǝɹnøʌɐ
@Black
Reaction score
A fighter becoming champ in multiple divisions use to be a special thing that would only happen after both fighters cleans out their divisions by a considerable margin. Even when GSP and Silva were at their height they never ended up fighting. Conor came to the UFC and fought at 145 and then won the title. He then instantly was given a squash match (In retrospect) and won the 155 title. GSP comes back in a similiar situation and beats Bisping for the title , then vacates it almost immediately.

Jose Aldo stayed in his proper division and achieved greatness there. He does not need to move to 155 and be outsized to prove his worth, especially at this stage of his career.

Max successfully defends his title and the first thing they ask him is if he is going to move up to 155. While he is tall, he is pretty skinny and would be outsized and out muscled at 155. 145 is his proper weight class.

Fighters need to pick a division and stick with it. Defend the title 5-6+ times before thinking about moving up.

You dont know what you're talking about

Aldo tried his best to fight for the LW belt while he was FW champ but Dana wouldnt allow him to unless he vacated his title which he didnt want to do.

You having a 2010 account should know this.

I have no problem with Max moving up and taking fights at LW until a FW contender emerges

You dont know what you're talking about

Aldo tried his best to fight for the LW belt while he was FW champ but Dana wouldnt allow him to unless he vacated his title

Not disputing that. I am just saying that 145 was the proper weight class for him.

Well, I don't think it has gotten out of hand, but the MMA media and fanbase are pushing them too hard for it. Cowboy for instance is a guy who can comfortably fight at both 155 and 170.

I think, and this was on your mind, that when it comes to Superfights between champs they should clean their respective divisions.

Not disputing that. I am just saying that 145 was the proper weight class for him.

I agree to some extent but Aldo could have beat Benson, Edgar and Pettis when they were champs and when he wanted to challenge them.

Now a days Aldo would have no chance against the big LWs of this era.

Back