Just how good was Wanderlei Silva?

Gladiator24

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Got fight pass, someone on here recommended me to go watch pride stuff, so I watched a documentary on pride and man that wanderlei Silva looked vicious! His staredowns alone looked scary af! Almost on the same level as mike Tyson! No one really mentions this guy in the goat talk but just how good was he, was he a level just below the goat status or something

Plus pride itself looked insane, some of the fights, Damn!

everybody should get to be GOAT for a week to make it fair. We have so many why not.

He was a monster, but he was not known for being a technical striker. He was ferocious, throwing wild hay makers and doing damage with knees, stomps and soccer kicks. He was the Pride MW champion for a long time, destroying everybody but IMO he's not worthy to mention when you're starting the GOAT talks ...

Oh sheet, did the guy get busted for them? Or you just assuming he was on them cause he was that good?

Or maybe, just maybe, assuming it cuz of the way he looked ...

And peds were effectively legal in Pride.

Elite level Aggression + loads of roids
What??? I always thought he was 100% clean...

AnotherElderlyApe.webp

Watch him in 2003. By far the most dangerous LHW on the planet at that time.

Poor Rampage.

Last edited:
He could tap you if he wanted to too.he just never took his career in that direction.jbg disciple

He was awesome but he's higher on the "most entertaining fighters of all time" list than the "greatest fighters of all time" list imo

All time great though, no question

Got fight pass, someone on here recommended me to go watch pride stuff, so I watched a documentary on pride and man that wanderlei Silva looked vicious! His staredowns alone looked scary af! Almost on the same level as mike Tyson! No one really mentions this guy in the goat talk but just how good was he, was he a level just below the goat status or something

Plus pride itself looked insane, some of the fights, Damn!

You should snag the entire DVD library of PRIDE events, you won't regret it.

giphy.gif

don-frye-yoshihiro-fFI53OkKxB6rS

Last edited:
Oh sheet, did the guy get busted for them? Or you just assuming he was on them cause he was that good?
I'd say he was on something in PRIDE, but the same can be said about 99% of fighters in PRIDE. It wasn't illegal to juice there, so the argument of Wanderlei being on steroids while in PRIDE is dumb

Wand is one of those guys who've become underrated on here because most posters weren't even watching MMA when Wand was considered the consensus #1 205er in the world for nearly half a decade. Dude was a natural MW who took fights at HW and held his own

He was very very good, but got through with his toughness and aggression as opposed to his technical skill

He was Ruthless.

When that guy had a Chin, he was a nightmare for anyone.

he was excellent at pulverizing Japanese pro-wrestlers and street sweepers that he outweighed by about 90 lbs

Back