Was the wmma title fight more technical than the male one?

Gervais

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yes ortega/hollaway was far more exciting. But in terms of defense, stragety and control...they made the guys look like 2 brawlers

Yes ortega/hollaway was far more exciting. But in terms of defense, stragety and control...they made the guys look like 2 brawlers
giphy.gif

I feel like Max’s lack of defense is being grossly overstated. His angles and distance control were masterful.

I feel like Max’s lack of defense is being grossly overstated. His angles and distance control were masterful.

This! He comes like Gaethje but doesn't use his face as a shield. What a body balance and head movement. Really impressive

I love high level wmma but it's not even close. That fw fight was a gift.

Yeah by a pretty significant margin as well.

Insecure men will say otherwise but to the educated unbiased eye Shevchenko and Joanna showed a much more technical and versatile striking game and put on an absolute masterful performance.

Max was incredible as well but as usual he takes a lot of damage and relies on his chin and cardio more so than his skill (defensive wise at least). Both were phenomenal fights.

Max put on a clinic, Shev is good but she can only dream of acquiring Max's precision

Two different beasts.

The women don't generally have knockout power which very much effects how they fight but also the stakes involved (and in my opinion the entertainment level for the viewers).

I'd say they were both very technical fights but one was more entertaining than the other.

its easy to be technical when nobody can hurt eachother

Maybe I am wrong but didn't Ortega throw a spinning elbow and just missed by a wide margin?

Not really - Johanna was missing too much and Val was throwing the odd power shot and then getting out quick.

Max used his skills to break down a big, young and dangerous opponent and get the stoppage. Val could have done that but that would mean she'd have to have taken a risk to be great and potentially give JJ (who was obviously at a physical disadvantage) a chance to win.

Val played it safe and JJ did not have much for her - it was like watching a sparring match.

Back